Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022 Obs/Disc

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

47 here in Essex Jct, VT. Dank and wet.  Not what i envisioned when I booked months ago.   Next weekend in Chicago.  I'm traveling to different places until the pattern change comes.  It may be an expensive winter!

I think NNE is in line to  have some real wide goal posts for December temperature departures anywhere from a little below to torchy depending on how things break for them past the 12’th . First 1/3 of month should be much above there .

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Bob dropping knowledge in this thread. If you are looking objectively at this stuff, you are probably looking toward Christmas week give or take for a real favorable look. 

I think around 12/16 and beyond is our time.  We could get lucky before but I think it will be tough beforehand.

• Like 2

Another thing I noticed is that the orientation of the block has sort of changed. It’s kind of elongated and a little further east, not this big circular mass squashing everything. Eventually  it does retrograde, but I think the orientation isn’t helping as much either. This is just the initial stages, I’m not talking about after mid month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Another thing I noticed is that the orientation of the block has sort of changed. It’s kind of elongated and a little further east, not this big circular mass squashing everything. Eventually  it does retrograde, but I think the orientation isn’t helping as much either. This is just the initial stages, I’m not talking about after mid month.

Is there any sort of image/ map you could point to that shows sorta what your talking about .

so basically the block being further East thru mid month helps storms cut toward Great Lakes and then redevelopment under the block is further north and a tad weaker ? Or what is a better way to put it regarding the other features that become tweaked And the effects on sensible weather odds / chances etc 

10 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Euro backs up my thoughts. Ugly run nearing Christmas week. More backpedaling by models today. 

There is definitely some truth that Over the last few days the  period of the 9-15 has trended toward worse chances of wintry weather from NNE to SNE (than how things looked a week ago for that period  . Chances were never that high for CP of SNE so that group shouldn’t mind these changes . It can still snow in interior but more help maybe needed . You have the lower heights hanging around Cali Which was a new development over the last 4 days Of modeling and then scooter mentioned the orientation of the block looking less favorable over that period . The period after looks very good but it’s far enough out that it is not very confidence to me .

Also the period of the 9-15 seems like it could still deliver just that we may need more luck In CNE/ NNE then it may have seemed several days  ago for the same period . 

anyone,   let me know what is not accurate about that statement . 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I think once the Pacific responds better we cash in.  And then it takes a few days for it to affect sensible wx.  That brings us to mid month.

We don’t need the pacific to be good when the blocking is this strong. The blocking will prevent storms from cutting.

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

There is definitely some truth that Over the last few days the  period of the 9-15 has trended toward worse chances of wintry weather from NNE to SNE (than how things looked a week ago for that period  . Chances were never that high for CP of SNE so that group shouldn’t mind these changes . It can still snow in interior but more help maybe needed . You have the lower heights hanging around Cali Which was a new development over the last 4 days Of modeling and then scooter mentioned the orientation of the block looking less favorable over that period . The period after looks very good but it’s far enough out that it is not very confidence to me .

Also the period of the 9-15 seems like it could still deliver just that we may need more luck In CNE/ NNE then it may have seemed several days  ago for the same period . 

anyone,   let me know what is not accurate about that statement . 

The ensembles still have a signal. Nothing has changed, 1st threat 10-11th, 2nd threat 13-14th, 3rd threat 17-20th. The later threats are more likely to produce than the earlier ones, but all of them have a chance.

1 minute ago, George001 said:

The ensembles still have a signal. Nothing has changed, 1st threat 10-11th, 2nd threat 13-14th, 3rd threat 17-20th. The later threats are more likely to produce than the earlier ones, but all of them have a chance.

I’m saving the chance is lower than several days ago for the.first two system (it’s still a chance)  , no shit there is a chance at this range . You know when you click on your weather app and it says 70% chance of showers later tonite and then you click 6 hours later and the chance has gone to 50% , that is the idea here for the 9-15’th period . It doesn’t require a degree in meteorology or mathematics but perhaps psychology 

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I’m saving the chance is lower than several days ago for the.first two system (it’s still a chance)  , no shit there is a chance at this range 

I don’t agree that the chances are lower for the first 2 systems, the ensembles have a lot of hits. OP runs are still useless. If anything the chances for the 2nd system has increased.

Wnswmbkea

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Stop looking at the ops

Check out the eps

Several threats coming

Ops are going to struggle 

Ensembles look better, but they have regressed as well. Bottom line is I don’t care how negative the NAO is, it’s not getting rid of that stubborn SE ridge without a western ridge developing. We need help with the PNA,  otherwise the SE ridge is the most dominant feature.

1 minute ago, greenmtnwx said:

Wnswmbkea

Ensembles look better, but they have regressed as well. Bottom line is I don’t care how negative the NAO is, it’s not getting rid of that stubborn SE ridge without a western ridge developing. We need help with the PNA,  otherwise the SE ridge is the most dominant feature.

We want the SE ridge to prevent suppression. We don’t need help with the PNA, it can snow with a negative PNA and it can snow a lot. December 2010 had a trough out west as well.