Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Fiona

GaWx

• GaWx changed the title to Hurricane Fiona
59 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Now that Fiona is a done deal as far as a U.S. hit I think we can close the lid on a miserable CV season.  Any potential threats to the U.S. are going to have to come from a system lifting north out of the Caribbean / Gulf at this point.  Not giving up on that chance just yet.  Fiona has organized significantly over the last 24 hours and seems destined to reach hurricane status and maybe major hurricane status as it exits into the SW Atlantic over the next couple of days and heads out in general direction of Bermuda.  This season is going to bust hard for anyone that was calling for big numbers and land impacts.  Very surprising based on what the pattern looked like going into the season.  Solid La Nina, SST that were at least normal, if not above in the MDR and some healthy waves emerging off Africa.  Shear and dry air just put an end to  the MDR season before it began.   Even the Caribbean and GOM could not produce.  We'll see what happens over the next 4 weeks.  After that can't count on much.

Not sure why this post was given the "weenie" - I like to know from "NCsandhills" what he finds confusing or out of line.

11 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The last three named storms have become hurricanes. 

Looking at the prior 10 years, the average number of hurricanes from storms born in Sept is only two. So, Sept of 2022 has already exceeded that mark with three. Of the last 10 years, only 2020 had more with four and 2022 still has another 12 days to go.

Fiona's ACE is likely going to end up quite impressive.

Now that Fiona is a done deal as far as a U.S. hit I think we can close the lid on a miserable CV season.  Any potential threats to the U.S. are going to have to come from a system lifting north out of the Caribbean / Gulf at this point.

Are you saying done deal as in no US hit? PR is the US. Your angle there sounds like you were focusing on the CONUS. At any rate, Fiona is crawling and the worst of the hurricane (heavy precip) is going to drag prolonged over the heart of the island. Those folks are hurricane hardened, but flash flooding is always worrisome to life and infrastructure. Could see some nasty totals and a mudslide threat.
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Sandstorm94 said:

Still got that slug of dry air to deal with but that eyewall is rapidly getting it's act together3544f3a084d66ffe9a1d8898c0603bdc.jpg

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

Seems like a situation where land interaction actually helps to push out dry air and tighten the circulation. It may or may not be over land long enough to impede strengthening 

16 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Seriously concerning for Bermuda.

Could be the worst since Fabian in '03.

We talk about the "I Curse" a lot, to a lesser extend the "M Curse" (Marilyn, Mitch, Matthew, Maria, Michael) but "F" names have also produced a lot of big ones going back to the mid-'90s. Fran, Floyd, Francis, Fabian, Florence...now perhaps Fiona?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Windspeed said:

Are you saying done deal as in no US hit? PR is the US. Your angle there sounds like you were focusing on the CONUS. At any rate, Fiona is crawling and the worst of the hurricane (heavy precip) is going to drag prolonged over the heart of the island. Those folks are hurricane hardened, but flash flooding is always worrisome to life and infrastructure. Could see some nasty totals and a mudslide threat.

Yes, sorry.  I was focusing on CONUS.  Should have been more clear about that.  I totally agree PR is in for a rough go with extremely heavy rains, potential mudslides and flooding as Fiona moves slowly over / past the island.  Just hard to envision potential landfalls for the balance of the season for the CONUS coming out of the MDR of the Atlantic or CV type systems.  Believe any potential threat would come from a system lifting north out of the Caribbean / Bay of Campeche / GOM.  Not ruling out something landfalling on CONUS from Caribbean or GOM just yet.  Fiona will rack up ACE but there does not seem to be much behind her in the pipeline at the moment.

• GaWx changed the title to Major Hurricane Fiona