• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

Today's highs temps may struggle to escape the 70's in many spots across the county. Back in 1936 that was far from the observed weather. On this day in 1936 (and on the 9th) the highest recorded temperature in Pennsylvania history (since 1887) was observed when Phoenixville in Chester County topped out at 111 degrees! While Phoenixville is the lowest spot in the county. It should be noted that even some of the relatively higher spots like West Chester (105 degrees) and Coatesville (104 degrees) exceeded the century mark on that hot July 11th.
Our record low for today is the chilly 48 in 1983. Record daily rainfall is the 3.23" that fell on this date in 1931.
image.png.1d71a04f5d9cff11e77972eadf54561a.png

27 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Hearing cicadas this morning.

Gorgeous morning out there, got the windows open with a gentle breeze.

72F/DP 56F

Was out there about 20 minutes ago and didn't hear any but good that they are up and about now!  I did see a butterfly (looked like a little Red Admiral) on one of my tall cone flowers that recently started blooming.  Gonna have to pull the hose out.  The humidity is down although that sun is strong.

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Hearing cicadas this morning.

Gorgeous morning out there, got the windows open with a gentle breeze.

72F/DP 56F

I saw an emerged nymph shell on my outdoors mailbox stand two days ago, but have not heard any.  No doubt that one was an  early tasty meal for some passing bird.

At least we got about .55 inches of needed rain yesterday morning.  Here in W Windsor near the D & R Canal.

Ended up pulling out the hose finally and still haven't heard any cicadas but I expect with the upcoming heat, they may finally get going.

Made it up to 83 today and the dp did creep back up into the 60s. But overall, it was a typical summer day, with fair weather cumulus in the afternoon giving way to changeable skies that are currently filled with stratocumulus.

Temp is 76 with dp 64.

As mentioned here in Chester County PA yesterday some spots like East Nantmeal remained in the 70's - well below our normal high in the low to mid-80's. This morning low temps across almost all spots in the county were in the mid to upper 50's with East Nantmeal being one of the warmer spots at just 58.8. Today will likely be our 5th consecutive below normal day...in fact that will make 23 of the last 33 days running below normal across the county.
Our record high today is 99 from that hot summer of 1936. The record low was set on this date way back in 1898 at 45 degrees. Record daily rainfall was set today in 2009 when we received 2.09" of rain.
image.png.984b57b5c67dabb97f896fab8395e990.png

21 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Tuesday you may hit 90+ but not the other days. I would like to see rain either way on Tuesday...

71F/DP 62F

Yikes my point and click now has only 85 tomorrow....could this be yet another summer that we never see even one 90 degree day in higher spots of Chester County Pa?? Whatever happened to the warming we all expected??

Beautiful day across the entire area!! Here in Chesco both  my 2 stations (VP2 and Ambient) along with the Downingtown observer at 590 feet  could not escape the 70's this PM...of note all 3 locations were chillier today than Mount Pocono who hit a 79 degree high. Just a beautiful stretch of weather!!

Backyard.20220711_182733464.jpg

23 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Yikes my point and click now has only 85 tomorrow....could this be yet another summer that we never see even one 90 degree day in higher spots of Chester County Pa?? Whatever happened to the warming we all expected??

That's RedSky's department, I never did.

2 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

Elevation and microclimate, perhaps? Enjoy it! I've got 4/10 of the next ten days (including tomorrow) progged at 90 or above locally (~400' asl), and 3/10 where I work in southern NJ (~10' asl).

• Weenie 1

7 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

That's RedSky's department, I never did.

Lol don't even get me started, the warming climate continues. Records getting crushed in Europe, Japan, northern Canada! We are still above average for the summer vs the newest 30 year higher normals. The unusual long lasting blocking is the only obstacle keeping the northeast from cooking like vast stretches of the planet. 

Texas about to get a legendary torch

• Weenie 1

Our low this AM was 62.6. We should again fail to reach 90 across most of the higher spots of Chester County today. We have still yet to record even one such day this summer. The last summer we failed to record even one day over 90 degrees were the back to back summers of 2014 and 2015. This would be the 4th non-90 summer in just the last 19 years if we fail to reach that mark. Of note in 2015 while we recorded zero 90+ days... the Philadelphia Airport recorded 37 such days!
Today's record high is the 96 degrees set today in 1936. Our record coldest temp was the 48 degrees in 1945. Record daily rainfall was 3.58" today back in 2004.
image.png.a230dfd05d57eeb796ed37e55e654910.png

12 hours ago, RedSky said:

In other news guidance has dried up the approaching front.

4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

12Z 3K NAM brings some strong storms through the area this evening. I will say, this is the first time this year I can recall full sun and good timing on a line of storms, so I wouldn't sleep on this threat.

82F/DP 69F

What in Gods name is going on here? Striker, you're coming too fast!

First time on net today. I'm just going to follow the radar and see what happens. Some stuff to the W....the next 2hrs we'll see how it develops.

7-12-2022 2-35-37 PM.jpg

10 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

First time on net today. I'm just going to follow the radar and see what happens. Some stuff to the W....the next 2hrs we'll see how it develops.

7-12-2022 2-35-37 PM.jpg

Radar looks like a pile of you know what 

32 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

7-12-2022 2-35-37 PM.jpg

Just like winter..."Euro is south. No it's north. It's suppressed. It's rain!"  :lol:

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

radar looks prime for most getting another trace lawn wetting, with about 15% getting that needed shower like in Lancaster and Kamu country

can you say  screw zone? LV getting screwed again. Wow  I got thirty drops of something. They should cancel the t- storm watch north of  quakertown. There is no way the LV will even get a decent t-storm looking at the radar.

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

can you say  screw zone? LV getting screwed again. Wow  I got thirty drops of something. They should cancel the t- storm watch north of  quakertown. There is no way the LV will even get a decent t-storm looking at the radar.

Yep it's ugly but not unexpected