• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

Been a while since my last article for the local newsletter....below is my catch up since September 2021.

Hello again from Paul at the East Nantmeal PA Weather Station www.chescowx.com. Be sure to follow me on the Chester County Weather Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx  and at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx where I am tweeting daily climate reports and forecast updates for our beautiful Township.

It has been a while since the last New Sweetwater Reporter at the end of September, So, let’s do a quick climate summary for 2021 and some weather highlights so far here in 2022.

2021 Climate Summary

Average High Temperature: 62.3 degrees  (+0.6  above normal)

Average Low Temperature: 46.8 degrees (+3.6 above normal)

Average Temperature:54.6 degrees (+2.2 above normal)

Highest Temperature: 91.2 on June 30th

Lowest Temperature: 15.0 on the February 8th

Total Precipitation: 51.56” (+1.43” above normal)

Total Snowfall: 42.0” (6.0” above normal)

90-degree days: (3)  which is 8 days below normal

Growing Season (Freeze Free days): 197 days (8 days more than normal)

2022 has been running slightly colder (0.4 degrees) than normal over the first 6 months of the year. Overall, we have seen three above normal temperature months and three below normal months. January was our coldest (26.6 degrees avg. temp) 1st month of the year since 2015 (26.2 degrees), it also featured our coldest temperature 6.1 degrees on the 16th that we had experienced since the 3.2 low temperature on February 1, 2019. January would also be the only month of the 2021/22 winter season to have above normal snowfall. The 12.9” of snow that fell is 2.4” above our normal for the month. We would rebound with above normal February and March temperature months, but with below normal snowfall and precipitation in general. We finished the winter season with only 20.5” of snow which his well below our normal seasonal fall of 36.2”

With the first full month of spring, we began to see increasing and above normal precipitation which was perfect timing for the many farmers and outdoor gardens across the township. Over the spring months of April, May, and June only May would deliver above normal temperatures. Of note so far here in East Nantmeal Township we have yet to record our first day over 90 degrees. Unsurprisingly through July 4th at the PHL International Airport they have already recorded eleven such days. One of the benefits of living in a rural and somewhat higher elevation area such as our township is that over the last 18 years, we have averaged only 4 days over 90 in a typical summer, whereas at the airport in Philadelphia they have averaged 29 such days over that same exact time frame.

I hope all of you enjoy the rest of the summer! For those looking forward to cooler days, keep in mind that our warmest average day of the year is July 18th (75.7 avg. temp) at which point we will then begin a slow fall in temperatures that will continue until January 21st (32.5 avg. temp).

Until next time all the best - Paul                                                                                                                                                                                                    Some are weather-wise, some are otherwise” Ben Franklin  

Amazing low-humidity day yesterday with a final high of 89 and not a cloud in the sky.  Had a great bbq at one of my sister's houses yesterday and the lightning bugs were competing with the early fireworks.

After a low of 65 this morning, made it up to 87 today and it's currently 84 and mostly sunny with lots of cirrus and a low dp of 53.

Beautiful day today, if just a bit warm for my liking. But are you guys seeing the satellite imagery right now? I don't thing I've ever seen clouds like this:

CgQvES5.png

Probably enhanced by the low sun angle, but still. Looked out west windows and saw streaky clouds and then took a look at the satellite. Fascinating. 

• Like 1

This summer is a bit how I imagine summers are out in Idaho, Montana,Minnesota, the Dakota's....etc-- maybe just a bit cooler on the hottest days. 

19 hours ago, RedSky said:

Another Canadian airmass next weekend the beat rolls on.

14 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Amazing low-humidity day yesterday with a final high of 89 and not a cloud in the sky.  Had a great bbq at one of my sister's houses yesterday and the lightning bugs were competing with the early fireworks.

After a low of 65 this morning, made it up to 87 today and it's currently 84 and mostly sunny with lots of cirrus and a low dp of 53.

1 hour ago, zenmsav6810 said:

This summer is a bit how I imagine summers are out in Idaho, Montana,Minnesota, the Dakota's....etc-- maybe just a bit cooler on the hottest days. 

Only thing is - those more northern latitude areas also get longer hours of daylight (e.g., International Falls, MN has just over 16 hours of daylight around the solstice) where around this neck of the woods, we are just barely hitting 15 hours max.  So although they may be closer to the Canadian air masses, they have extended heating whenever a ridge builds over that part of the country.  Otherwise without an amplified ridge and a more zonal flow, I expect they would definitely be cooler up there - at least if they aren't in a drought state (where that tends to amplify and radiate the heat much more).

Well had to get out there and give my plants some top-off water and the humidity is definitely starting to build although it wasn't too bad when in some shade.  It's currently 85 and mostly sunny (after a low of 68), with some cirrus and a few cumulus clouds starting to pop up, and with dp 69.

11 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Only thing is - those more northern latitude areas also get longer hours of daylight (e.g., International Falls, MN has just over 16 hours of daylight around the solstice) where around this neck of the woods, we are just barely hitting 15 hours max.  So although they may be closer to the Canadian air masses, they have extended heating whenever a ridge builds over that part of the country.  Otherwise without an amplified ridge and a more zonal flow, I expect they would definitely be cooler up there - at least if they aren't in a drought state (where that tends to amplify and radiate the heat much more).

Well had to get out there and give my plants some top-off water and the humidity is definitely starting to build although it wasn't too bad when in some shade.  It's currently 85 and mostly sunny (after a low of 68), with some cirrus and a few cumulus clouds starting to pop up, and with dp 69.

Well the extra daylight makes for enormous vegatables which i think makes up for it!

7 hours ago, RedSky said:

200 rain drops with this cold front things are improving

thats ten more drops than me in Lower macungie.  Achieving 2 inch PWAT's are in a dreamscape  right now. The air is so dry and then any available moisture is sucked out in the  stratus clouds before the dying front comes through. The stress on the turf is pretty nasty right now too. My garden needs some rain. Cannot remember when the last time a good time cracking /rumbling training t- storms have  hit our area.  The good ole afternoon t- storms from the Bermuda High are gone as the Canadian HP takes over. This weekend looks pretty cool for July.

10 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

Well the extra daylight makes for enormous vegatables which i think makes up for it!

Yup.  They have a short but intense growing season up yonder (at least in the upper plains).

Well not a drop of rain overnight so... :huh:

Anyway had a "low" of 74 this morning and it's currently 82 (although it earlier spiked to 84) and the dp is 73.

8 hours ago, JTA66 said:

July 6th and no cicadas yet. Some years I've heard them as early as late June. Gotta think in the next week they'll make an appearance?

81F/DP 72F

I think if we had had more days of heat last month, they might have emerged sooner. But by having our winter in spring and it being springish in early summer, that probably slowed them down if the ground was still too cool.  I am more surprised about the lack of crickets so far. I guess being still early July can be deceptive for expectations.

I did make it to 89 as a high while watching strands of pearls tstorm cells blowing past to my south and north despite some periodic threatening clouds.  :huh:

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

We've had 9 consecutive days of non-measurable rain now. I last mowed a week ago, and my lawn has barely grown. I refuse to water it though. It's still green-ish. In spots. :D

I did manage to get a passing light shower that deposited 0.06" the morning of July 3rd but nothing since June 27, so I guess I'll be grateful for that.  The grass here has held so far but don't know how much longer...

It's currently 84 and mostly cloudy with some occasional breaks of sun, and dp is 66.

So like I tilled up sections of lawn and planted fescue and those sections are totally dormant thanks to the lack of rain and high temps. Thing is though I was selling my house and everything was green when it went under contract. Hard to think someone would care so much but hopefully buyers don't lose their shit when they come thru for walk thru. It'll bounce back in fall and look like sex all over again but looks all kinds of stupid right now. The reverse happens in winter with the zoysia looking like ass.