Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

1 hour ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

So like I tilled up sections of lawn and planted fescue and those sections are totally dormant thanks to the lack of rain and high temps. Thing is though I was selling my house and everything was green when it went under contract. Hard to think someone would care so much but hopefully buyers don't lose their shit when they come thru for walk thru. It'll bounce back in fall and look like sex all over again but looks all kinds of stupid right now. The reverse happens in winter with the zoysia looking like ass. 

As long as you're taking care of it overall I wouldn't worry about it. It's the way of things. If they wanna push the issue, buy them a bag of grass seed. It would be a little like complaining cuz there are mosquitos now whereas there weren't any in the spring.

40 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

It's the way of things.

So it goes.

Mid-Atlantic summer is upon us. Today was thankfully mostly cloudy, at least. My wife is taking her mom to the Kutztown Folk Festival this weekend, traditionally known in my family as the "hottest weekend all summer" just because of course it is. Somehow I've managed to be able to opt out this year. Something about needing me to "watching the puppy" or "catch up on house projects". The "puppy" is largely self-governing at this point, and any "house projects" can safely be postponed due to having to "watch the puppy" so it's a win-win. I think I'll be able to manage all of the above while sipping a beverage or two in my basement woodshop for a change. My wife is a saint.

Grateful for this so far and saw a Flood Advisory lofted for south of I-76 and west of I-95-

Flood Advisory

Flood Advisory
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
604 AM EDT Thu Jul 7 2022

DEC003-PAC029-045-091-101-071315-
/O.NEW.KPHI.FA.Y.0054.220707T1004Z-220707T1315Z/
/00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
New Castle DE-Chester PA-Delaware PA-Montgomery PA-Philadelphia PA-
604 AM EDT Thu Jul 7 2022

...FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 915 AM EDT THIS MORNING...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is expected.

* WHERE...Portions of northern Delaware...and southeast
  Pennsylvania...including the following counties...in northern
  Delaware...New Castle. In southeast Pennsylvania...Chester,
  Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia.

* WHEN...Until 915 AM EDT.

* IMPACTS...Minor flooding in low-lying and poor drainage areas.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
  - At 603 AM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain. Minor
    flooding is ongoing or expected to begin shortly across
    portions of the advisory area. Between 0.5 and 1 inch of rain
    has fallen.
  - Some locations that may experience flooding include...
    Philadelphia, Camden, Wilmington, West Chester, Chester,
    Yeadon, Westtown, Folcroft, Swarthmore, Elsmere, Kennett
    Square, and New Castle.
  - This includes the following highways...
    Interstate 95 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 0 and 24.
    Interstate 95 in Delaware between mile markers 9 and 23.
    Interstate 76 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 335 and
    Interstate 676 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 0 and 1.
    Interstate 476 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 0 and 15.
  - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Be aware of your surroundings and do not drive on flooded roads.

&&

LAT...LON 3981 7578 3992 7585 3997 7571 4006 7538
      4006 7525 3998 7511 3995 7513 3990 7514
      3985 7534 3979 7544 3963 7557

$$

SFJ

So far have 0.23" in the bucket and obviously the heavier stuff is to my south but me take.

Currently light rain and 69 with dp 68.

14 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

So it goes.

Mid-Atlantic summer is upon us. Today was thankfully mostly cloudy, at least. My wife is taking her mom to the Kutztown Folk Festival this weekend, traditionally known in my family as the "hottest weekend all summer" just because of course it is. Somehow I've managed to be able to opt out this year. Something about needing me to "watching the puppy" or "catch up on house projects". The "puppy" is largely self-governing at this point, and any "house projects" can safely be postponed due to having to "watch the puppy" so it's a win-win. I think I'll be able to manage all of the above while sipping a beverage or two in my basement woodshop for a change. My wife is a saint.

I was going to say Saturday looked like a good day for mowing, but not anymore. Sunday and Monday look pretty awesome though.

MT Holly has said nothing in their discussion about how abnormally dry this weather pattern has been for anyone nw of Philly. What are their thoughts?  Everyday, its Delmarva this and Delmarva that. There is a LV and metro area north of Philly where over 3 million people live and read their  weather discussion. Please guys, I am interested your thoughts too.  Is too much emphasis is placed on the Delmarva region?  Is it because it is closer to Mt Holly? Just because it does not rain, does not mean there should be no discussion about how the weather pattern has affected these other subareas of your CWA. Simply saying it will be drier this weekend when it has not rained more than .05 in in two weeks is not part of a good discussion without some reasoning? Some reasoning examples such as why is it drier, whats holding up the fronts just south of the Mason Dixon line, the unusual dominance of the Canadian weather highs for this time of the year for our area, the role of the Bermuda High with the formation afternoon t- storms, the fact that July is normally the wettest month of the year, the lack of convective storms in our area, the lack of  tropical storm development and the list goes on.  Thanks

On 7/6/2022 at 7:28 PM, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

So like I tilled up sections of lawn and planted fescue and those sections are totally dormant thanks to the lack of rain and high temps. Thing is though I was selling my house and everything was green when it went under contract. Hard to think someone would care so much but hopefully buyers don't lose their shit when they come thru for walk thru. It'll bounce back in fall and look like sex all over again but looks all kinds of stupid right now. The reverse happens in winter with the zoysia looking like ass. 

You can always try overseeding with annual blue grass (fastest to germinate and won't come back next year) and watering with a sprinkler. It will perk back up in no time

Nada for tonight for the LV. This is getting bad. The 60% chance is quickly turning into a 10% chance with less than .25 inch. That will not even put a dent in the soil conditions. I put a shovel in the ground today and it was like concrete and this was in the shady woods. Well, it looks like it will take a tropical storm to break this crappy pattern we are in.  Cooler is not necessarily better at this point. I expect drought watches to be issued by the end of the month for our area as the base flow of the Little Lehigh is really falling quickly

Maybe a shower out at day 10 on the ECM. This could be the deadest lawns seen since 2002 been a long time. 

The large ridge in the center of the country is cutting of any southerly flow of moisture we normally see in summer this could get ugly. 

After a low of 65 this morning, I did make it up to 86 today, even with mostly sunny skies, but the humidity was pretty rough with dews in the low 70s the entire time.

It has clouded up now and is currently 84 with dp 73.  Hoping for a quick pop-up or something tonight.  Still grateful for the surprise 024" that I got yesterday,

6 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Damn - I was just looking at the cluster up in your neck of the woods too and said he's GOT to be getting something outta that.  But alas. :huh:

It's still overcast here and 80 with dp 72.

Round one turned into a real shower about 8 miles south of here and that's how she's been going