• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

So my back deck is wet, but my gauge still measures zero. Thankful for at least a tiny little bit of rain by my gauge still reads zero. This pattern sucks. Showers are at least progged for the next 8 hours, we shall see how that actually turns out. On a positive note, at least tomorrow is looking cooler, so my wife and her mom and best friend won't melt at the Kutztown Folk Festival. Still not quite sure how I dodged that bullet but I'll take it. :lol:

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

So my back deck is wet, but my gauge still measures zero. Thankful for at least a tiny little bit of rain by my gauge still reads zero. This pattern sucks. Showers are at least progged for the next 8 hours, we shall see how that actually turns out. On a positive note, at least tomorrow is looking cooler, so my wife and her mom and best friend won't melt at the Kutztown Folk Festival. Still not quite sure how I dodged that bullet but I'll take it. :lol:

It's over for us already the front is sagging south. The forecast for showers likely after 3am looks misleading.

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

.05" total for this storm event lol.

Talk about stingy!  So far what looked promising when I went to bed last night resulted in 0.08", with most of it between 2 - 3 am, and a dribble between 4 - 5 am.  Whatever is on the radar now is just sitting in the clouds.

After a low of 71, it's currently overcast and 73 with a dp of 66.

So far today we have received 0.66" of rain. That puts us at 87% of normal rain for the month and 103% to normal for the year to date. Today's record high temperature is 103 degrees set back in 1936. Our record lowest temperature is the 48 degrees set in 1984. The daily rainfall record is the 2.00" that fell in 1935.

image.png.756827ad8d3eaa16e76a486e32ec1b6f.png

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

Strong signal the heat arrives in full force a week from now and the third week of July will be a furnace. Food prices through the roof and local crops about to get torched not a good situation.

My grass is already getting that browish-yellowish look in certain spots.

Not just crops but everything. They either raise food prices or you're paying the same but receiving less. And gas prices will never drop below $4/$4.50 again. Then if a hurricane hits a oil/refinery....they'll jack gas prices again.

76F/DP 67F

On 7/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, zenmsav6810 said:

You can always try overseeding with annual blue grass (fastest to germinate and won't come back next year) and watering with a sprinkler. It will perk back up in no time

Are you thinking of annual ryegrass? Most consider annual blue grass a weed, if he wants some he's welcome to come dig mine up, lol. Not to be confused with Kentucky bluegrass of course.

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

That's what I thought..

weed.jpg

Ive seen annual blue grass sold before for emgerency repairs-- It has a tendency to leave bare spots the following year. Annual ryegrass is a superior choice for its durability and drought resistance but does not germinate as readily or as hardily as annual bluegrass. Rye has a better appearance too. Some golf course such as Chambers Bay in WA use annual blue grass in their greens. 

2 hours ago, Heisy said:

Anyone know when the EPS upgrade is happening? I remember last year reading some news it was getting a large upgrade. Only a few months if hell left!

RedSky had posted something about a hardware upgrade a few pages back, so if the model update hasn't happened yet, this might make it possible to move forward with it -

On 6/29/2022 at 12:26 PM, RedSky said:

The linked article does mention the ensembles, which suggests that the hardware upgrade will be a go-ahead for the EPS update -

“This is a big day for NOAA and the state of weather forecasting,” said Ken Graham, director of NOAA’s National Weather Service. “Researchers are developing new ensemble-based forecast models at record speed, and now we have the computing power needed to implement many of these substantial advancements to improve weather and climate prediction.”

Well the sun managed to come out for about 5 minutes around 6 pm (longest appearance of the day) before it disappeared again.  But in any event, I pretty much finished up with the 0.08" for the day.  High did make it to 78 and the dp sortof dropped down to the upper 60s vs the lower 70s, and it's currently 74 with dp 67.

Well the sun managed to come out for about 5 minutes around 6 pm (longest appearance of the day) before it disappeared again.  But in any event, I pretty much finished up with the 0.08" for the day.  High did make it to 78 and the dp sortof dropped down to the upper 60s vs the lower 70s, and it's currently 74 with dp 67.

Thanks, Yea if I remember the tweet last year from ecmwf they were adding like 50 eps members or something, better resolution, and possibly longer forecasts at 6/18z

• Weenie 1