• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Summer 2022

21 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The suite is going bonkers back and forth.  Yesterday is had one of the hot nights staying in the 80's while now it is low 50's.

The 6z largely keeps the extreme, ridiculous heat out of the east. Verbatim, it would obliterate all-time records in a lot of cities in the middle of the country, by 5+ degrees in some places.

4 minutes ago, TimB said:

The 6z largely keeps the extreme, ridiculous heat out of the east. Verbatim, it would obliterate all-time records in a lot of cities in the middle of the country, by 5+ degrees in some places.

Already chatter about it in other locations.  Bringing people (no AC)  in to shelters.  A bit far out to worry too much yet though.  It is 2021 Palouse worthy in Kansas and Oklahoma with mass 120's. 

We had a heatwave back in the mid 1990s...I don't keep heat records like I do snow, so this is based off of memory and not written down as facts. What I do remember is having a 3 day stretch where highs were in the 100s and my lows were in the low to mid 80s. That was the hottest stretch I recall during my lifetime. 

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We had a heatwave back in the mid 1990s...I don't keep heat records like I do snow, so this is based off of memory and not written down as facts. What I do remember is having a 3 day stretch where highs were in the 100s and my lows were in the low to mid 80s. That was the hottest stretch I recall during my lifetime. 

Some aim to keep that a distant Training memory. 

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Interesting stat of the day....the location in the US that holds the record for the coldest temp ever recorded in the lower 48 (though there is some dispute on equipment used) is Rogers Pass, Montana at -70F.  That same location has recorded a high temp 100 multiple times.  Tampa, Florida has never reached 100.  

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Interesting stat of the day....the location in the US that holds the record for the coldest temp ever recorded in the lower 48 (though there is some dispute on equipment used) is Rogers Pass, Montana at -70F.  That same location has recorded a high temp 100 multiple times.  Tampa, Florida has never reached 100.  

That's the kind of information that will make @Mount Joy Snowman salivate. LOL

The stat about Tampa is not overly shocking, but if I wasn't privy to that info, I probably would have bet at some point that they reached 100. 

It's not the extreme heat...but it's relentless. And relentless with unrelenting humidity. 

Of course, you this all too well. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

The stat about Tampa is not overly shocking, but if I wasn't privy to that info, I probably would have bet at some point that they reached 100. 

It's not the extreme heat...but it's relentless. And relentless with unrelenting humidity. 

It never reached 100 anywhere I was during my 12 year stay in different areas of the state.  It did reach 14 once.    I know Ocala and Orlando have reached 100 at some point but it does surprise me Tampa never has.  The City is pretty far removed from the main body of the Gulf and plenty of days with Winds blowing from the East. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

A portion of the front yard a few moment's ago.  Last mowed ~2 weeks ago

image.png.4982c7b9d8d6dfec0aab5564a0282e3d.png

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yep.  I remember one of the first days of Meteo class when the concept of seasonality was introduced and the professor mentioned that Bismarck, North Dakota had gone above 100 X number of times and below 32 countless times (obviously ha), whereas Miami had never gone above 100 or below 32.  I could be slightly off on that but that was the basic gist.  Also this was 20 years ago.  But the concept of seasonality and large body water effect remain the same.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yep.  I remember one of the first days of Meteo class when the concept of seasonality was introduced and the professor mentioned that Bismarck, North Dakota had gone above 100 X number of times and below 32 countless times (obviously ha), whereas Miami had never gone above 100 or below 32.  I could be slightly off on that but that was the basic gist.  Also this was 20 years ago.  But the concept of seasonality and large body water effect remain the same.

Seems Miami's record is 30, which is close to 32, but the more amazing thing is that in 1977 it snowed and accumulated enough to make small snowmen and snowballs.  They had almost as much snow as MDT had a couple winters ago.   They cancelled schools both due to "road conditions" and letting the kids play in it.   Unsure if this pic is from Miami or Tampa as they both had accumulating snow that day. 

On January 19, 1977, for the first time, it snowed in Miami, Florida. :  r/interestingasfuck

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Sterling has a watch out for Frederick county with wording of 1-3” likely and isolated 4-7” amounts 

I wonder if that would include tomorrow?  I did not look.  But the HRRR is a non event in PA.   The Euro has potential  100's on Tue (LSV) and suggest the HIA could hit 90 for many days in a row. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Seems Miami's record is 30, which is close to 32, but the more amazing thing is that in 1977 it snowed and accumulated enough to make small snowmen and snowballs.  They had almost as much snow as MDT had a couple winters ago.   They cancelled schools both due to "road conditions" and letting the kids play in it.   Unsure if this pic is from Miami or Tampa as they both had accumulating snow that day. 

On January 19, 1977, for the first time, it snowed in Miami, Florida. :  r/interestingasfuck

That's remarkable.  Perhaps my professor was talking about Miami Beach, which actually has a POR going back further than MIA's and from doing a quick scan appears to indeed have never gone below 32 or above 100.  In fact, it has never hit 99 at Miami Beach.  Semantics, but general point about seasonality remains. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

That's remarkable.  Perhaps my professor was talking about Miami Beach, which actually has a POR going back further than MIA's and from doing a quick scan appears to indeed have never gone below 32 or above 100.  In fact, it has never hit 99 at Miami Beach.  Semantics, but general point about seasonality remains. 

Yes, maybe.  And my 30 comment was not to say 32 was wrong vs. segue into snow at Miami.  LOL.   Now if someone ever gets to Segway into snow in Miami, well that would indeed be rare. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The HRRR is a bust for rain tonight. 

Crazy how much the 3k NAM backed off on totals into PA from 6z to 12z run today too.

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

I call bluff on my “heavy rain” forecast. 

Agreed.  Guess I'll have to put on a YouTube "rain sounds" video for white noise  tonight instead of the real thing.  Bummer.