Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June pattern and forecast discussion

weathafella

1 hour ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I like the heat because it can bring the T-storms (at least theoretically)

mmm  it's really more precise to consider instability as a T-storm precursor.   "Heat" as an advent in and of itself is not really a prerequisite to that. In fact, our "brand of convection" ( for eye-rollin' lack of better phrase -), tends to come from having warm air suppressed SW with a NW fast flow transporting fronts that offer cloud tops rarely exceeding 30K but have more outflow wind.  But there are exception and rarities that set up... 

EMLs sometimes ..aginst all odds, get in here and entangle with triggers.  Like Worcester 1953... Or Monson in 2010.  Or that weird supercell that move S from Springfield Mass through HFD in '95 with golf ball leaf stripper hail bombs.  But these are exceptions to our climate. 

Big heat tends to actually come with big CIN...  You need to set up with a high open sun heat and elevated lows that night, lending to a high launch the next day...  and that's actually a stable lapse rate while high hydrostatic heights.   Heat can manifest from summer sun...under an unstable lapse rate, and that is fun - but I've actually seen that more common at 75 F with towers by noon. Not from what we consider to be hot.  Just sayn'

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

We've been above-average since mid-May...obviously driven moreso by warm mins, but even high's have been above-average. While we certainly have had some cool days this just goes to show that when we've had these cool days they really aren't far off from climo, but when we have the warmer days we're a good several-degrees or so above climo.

30dTDeptNRCC.png

30dTMAXDeptNRCC.png

30dTMINDeptNRCC.png

Torch!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Due to overnight mins, yes. I don't care about that...its the day time highs that I am concerned with...just like winter.

I think most maxes were AOA.  It’s just climo in May or June requires big departures before people say hot.  June arguably is the most beautiful month.  The miserable chill of earlier spring is usually gone and the big heat and dews don’t usually show up for more than a cameo at least until the last week of the month.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think most maxes were AOA.  It’s just climo in May or June requires big departures before people say hot.  June arguably is the most beautiful month.  The miserable chill of earlier spring is usually gone and the big heat and dews don’t usually show up for more than a cameo at least until the last week of the month.

Yea, I was wrong. Sorry for clogging the thread.

19 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

We've been above-average since mid-May...obviously driven moreso by warm mins, but even high's have been above-average. While we certainly have had some cool days this just goes to show that when we've had these cool days they really aren't far off from climo, but when we have the warmer days we're a good several-degrees or so above climo.

Might be interesting to challenge that motif perception ( I mean it's likely real -) with that Monday maritime plumb.  It does seem ( by experience this is true, too) that it will modify off the extreme depth as the time nears, but some guidance were previous flirting with frost ..at least in Maine.. But frost or not, even getting that into the low 40s down here to Worcester definitely is a full diurnal ranged new chilly ball-game.  - if so

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I've already had a 92F and I've only been above 93F once since moving here. Max temps have been warm too.

We reached 90 on May 14, only the 2nd 90+ in May, 91 on 5/18/17 the other.  Our max here thru 24 summers is also 93, twice, 7/3/02 and 9/9/02.  90+ distribution by months looks a bit odd, with 2 in May, 8 in June, 3 in July, 4 in August and 2 in September.  2002 had 7 such days; no other year had more than 3.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Might be interesting to challenge that motif perception ( I mean it's likely real -) with that Monday maritime plumb.  It does seem ( by experience this is true, too) that it will modify off the extreme depth as the time nears, but some guidance were previous flirting with frost ..at least in Maine.. But frost or not, even getting that into the low 40s down here to Worcester definitely is a full diurnal ranged new chilly ball-game.  - if so

That is quite an unseasonably cool airmass still being projected on the models. Not taking any airmass modification into account, I think there is great validity for such potential. But before getting into that, when you look at the source region for that airmass there might not be much room for modification. 

While this airmass would certainly result in very comfortable daytime temperatures, should we achieve strong mixing (which would be likely with a steep lapse rate), we'll get to at least climo with maybe some areas a tick or two below. 

But like you said...it's the overnight period which could be of greatest interest. Given the presence of very dry air and rather low (for time of year) theta-e values, combined with some potential for strong radiative cooling....the favored cold spots could certainly plunge down into the mid-30's and even some of the major climo stations could get into the 40's. 

Should any full de-coupling occur profiles are favorable for a downward spiral from daytime high's. 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's definitely been the low dews making it manageable. Spank it all you want to a high of 80 when normal is 76, but that is comfortable when it's 80/55.

Yesterday ...about 7 pm, was like euphoric.  It was 83 still with a DP of 55, with zephyr breezes by and by.   It's difficult to imagine Earth could provide any setting more of nerve-settling splendor than that submersion in a nostrum bath, under a flawless evening sky. 

13 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Don't be sorry. I thought it was good discussion. For one, it's interesting to see how we perceive something to be but then you look at data and the data doesn't reflect what was perceived. 

I had also pulled up the data, but realized after that fact that I had accidently viewed 1000mb and not surface, so had to walk it back lol

• Haha 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I had also pulled up the data, but realized after that fact that I had accidently viewed 1000mb and not surface, so had to walk it back lol

I think you accidentally plotted heights as opposed to temperature anomalies. I would have thought though it would still show positive departures in the 100mb height anomaly, but that could be a result of the auto-generated legend. 

30 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No, you're fine...I respect when someone proves me wrong with empirical evidence, rather than just devolving it into a pissing contest.

I think it's felt that way largely because above normal in May is not *that* hot.  It's very comfortable being +3 in May.  Below normal May is like a lot of 40s and 50s.  Above normal May is a lot of 60s and 70s.

Even June up here is currently above normal but we have hit 80F exactly once in 14 days and it was just touching 80F.  So above normal departure but it's all been 60s and 70s.

The forum mentality sometimes gets taken over with "Summer starts April 15 or May 1" so above normal temperatures must be hot!  When in reality even a +5 departure in May is supremely comfortable.  If you read "summer, summer, what a summer" over and over and then are experiencing comfortable temperatures it's easy to think it might be below normal.  But some folks have expectations that aren't remotely close to climo.