amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Potential - Part 5

am19psu

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vort over the plains that rapidly strengthens on the GFS and is trending much stronger on the NAM is the main feature here that captures the shortwave and tugs it up the coast. This is our miracle maker if it does verify.

post-6-0-39675500-1293207560.png

I was pretty sure when I saw the 00 hour tau on the 12Z GFS it was coming west quite a bit but I did not think it would be THAT much

NOUS42 KNHC 231515

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS

CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.

1015 AM EST THU 23 DECEMBER 2010

SUBJECT: WINTER STORM PLAN OF THE DAY (WSPOD)

VALID 24/1100Z TO 25/1100Z DECEMBER 2010

WSPOD NUMBER.....10-023

ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS

1. FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 70

A. A63/ OTTNG/ 25/1200Z

B. AFXXX 04WSA TRACK63

C. 25/0445Z

D. 10 DROPS ON TRACK AS PUBLISHED

E. AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE/ 25/1400Z

2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK:

A. A64/ 30.3N 75.0W/ 26/0000Z

B. A64/ 30.3N 75.0W/ 26/1200Z

JWP

I hope someone cashes in on this event, even if it isn't my backyard. But there have been instances in the past where the models "over correct" to the west 48-72 hours out and then begin one more final eastward trend. Hope that's not what we're seeing here.

Routing for a festivus miracle! Snowman.gif

earthlight look at hour 30-42 when the phase is about to take place on the NAM/GFS

The NAM has the southern s/w a bit further south than the GFS and the NAM's phase is not very clean, it looks like part of it escapes east and deamplifies the trough somewhat

The GFS is very different here. The northern s/w is able to catch up and almost perfectly "capture" the southern s/w, for lack of a better term.

I am really hoping GGEM jumps to the GFS solution since we do not have any support for it right now.

earthlight look at hour 30-42 when the phase is about to take place on the NAM/GFS

The NAM has the southern s/w a bit further south than the GFS and the NAM's phase is not very clean, it looks like part of it escapes east and deamplifies the trough somewhat

The GFS is very different here. The northern s/w is able to catch up and almost perfectly "capture" the southern s/w, for lack of a better term.

I am really hoping GGEM jumps to the GFS solution since we do not have any support for it right now.

It still comes down to a small window, timing is everything.

As someone explained earlier...the only thing seperating the GFS from the NAM and GGEM now are how it handels the phase. The GFS is much cleaner and the NAM doesn't fully phase..a correction I think that will be fixed with later runs. If the GGEM is very NAMish thats a good sign...albeit it would have been nice to see it fully jump on board. BTW heard the JMA showed a similar solution to the 12z GFS anybody have that available?

Archived