Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential of Widespread Snow/ Mixed Precipitation 2/25

sferic

3 minutes ago, brentrich said:

So roch is getting 8-12 inches of snow and no winter storm watch yet? what the hell is going on? 

I think it was already explained but I’ll do it one more time: nearly half of the models have a suppressed system that nearly misses Rochester with qpf (see RGEM, EURO and ICON). The NAM brings a warm tongue and possible dry slot. 
They also still have a number of headlines up in Monroe for other stuff and didn’t have confidence level for a watch. 
Ultimately, I think we get there, but I totally see their rationale. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

I think it was already explained but I’ll do it one more time: nearly half of the models have a suppressed system that nearly misses Rochester with qpf (see RGEM, EURO and ICON). The NAM brings a warm tongue and possible dry slot. 
They also still have a number of headlines up in Monroe for other stuff and didn’t have confidence level for a watch. 
Ultimately, I think we get there, but I totally see their rationale. 

Make sense, thanks for the explianing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Oh, there goes the Rap! It's starting the journey to the south and east as well. As I have been saying, 3 to 6 inches here with more to our south and east. Cuts to our NW or whiffs to our SE. Same ol' record playing over and over.

Lol. You’re the best. 

• Haha 2

Lies haha

Just like other NWS offices, they sit outside the city and away from the immediate lake shore..

WFO Marquette currently is situated eight miles west of downtown Marquette in Negaunee Township. The area is hilly, forested, and rises abruptly by over 750 feet above the Lake Superior shoreline eight miles to the east

Screenshot_20220223-181804.png

49 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Lies haha

Just like other NWS offices, they sit outside the city and away from the immediate lake shore..

WFO Marquette currently is situated eight miles west of downtown Marquette in Negaunee Township. The area is hilly, forested, and rises abruptly by over 750 feet above the Lake Superior shoreline eight miles to the east

Erie rings a bell…

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Lies haha

Buffalo airport is in Cheektowaga NY (9 miles NE of the city), Syracuse airport is 5 miles north of the city North Syracuse , the Rochester airport is 3 miles southwest of downtown. Erie airport is 5 miles southwest of downtown, just outside the city boundary. I'd say out of all those locations Syracuse total is best spot for snowfall totals. If Rochester recording station was 3 miles NE of the city instead of SW they would average quite a bit more, same with Buffalo 3 miles SE of the city. If Syracuse was 3 miles south of the city their average would drop significantly. Binghamtons recording location is in a great place for snow totals too, forgot about them. Their average is much higher than the city is.

The example you posted is definitely different though. If the totals were recorded along the water in Marquette the annual totals would drop by feet, thats a massive difference in recording locations. We saw this when Buffalos recording station was right along the water, the average snowfall totals was much lower than what it is now.

• Thanks 1