Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential of Widespread Snow/ Mixed Precipitation 2/25

sferic

21 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yikes... 12Z Nams are bringing the mix well north. Hate seeing those doing that, as they are often good with those warm layers.

Yup, it'll be interesting if the RGEM amps as much as the NAM. LP placement between the 2 are the similar, just NAM is ~5mb deeper and takes longer for the shift to coastal.

Just now, 96blizz said:

And the coldest the GFS gets. Quite a model battle here. At this range, blend ‘em…

C379C6BA-88F7-4E95-BD01-185187749FA3.png

It could just be a couple wild runs but you can’t discount the NAM. It would still be a front thump of 4” or so followed by a couple after the taint but you can say goodbye to any shot at 10” or 12” 

11 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Rgem looks well south of Nam. Like suppressed. Hahaha

It's actually been very consistent but it's a bit of an (southern) outlier. Keeps mix line near and south of state line. Likely not going to happen as much I hate saying that. A solution somewhere between the NAM and RGEM is probably most realistic. 

rgem-all-nystate-total_precip_ptype_fourpanel-5833600.thumb.png.0ae2b71895471577efaddb818649ff07.pngrgem-all-nystate-total_snow_10to1-5833600.thumb.png.5866323ddb90248e619be1a037158310.png

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

It could work out perfectly for CNY, where the Low stalls and keeps us in the main band and then as the secondary takes over, we get additional amounts from that. I am actually a bit optimistic about that as a possibility. It's going to be close.

Who the F are you and what have you done with Matt???

• Haha 3

Just now, vortmax said:

Wow, much different and only 48hrs out.

I saw a couple comments on the BGM NWS Facebook page where citizens were ranting that forecasts used to be more accurate. They were saying how 1 to 18 inches (exaggerated, of course) is a ridiculous forecast and how are people supposed to rely on that.

I see their point. We just have too many weather models. We want sources to use to help fine-tune things...but at this point, the weather world needs to ask when is it too much? It's just confusing chaos.

3 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

Who the F are you and what have you done with Matt???

LOL. I call it as I see it. Undoubtedly, I look at the world more pessimistically, but I am constantly battling my idealist, dreamer mentality...which I would gladly take those Kuchera maps, but I will only get disappointed when my unrealistic expectations aren't met. (Currently working on those expectations in my personal life.)

All that to say... If you take a combo of what we are seeing, CNY is well positioned...but I am very cautious and trying to keep expectations in check.

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Because we are. They're freaking annoying. That's why I said I am ready for some coastal storms...like the ones that used to exist in the 90s.

Then you’d be freaking out because Syracuse was always on the far western envelope. Those weren’t gimmies. But Syracuse often cashed in. Better than mixing I guess. 

This is a fast moving system with the primary low transferring to a
secondary or coastal low. This may reduce the time for snow
accumulation across western NY. There is also the potential for
mixed precipitation across the Southern Tier. Snowfall totals are
currently leaning towards the Advisory range with 4-8 inches in 24
hours across western NY Thursday evening to Friday evening. A trace
to a tenth of an inch of ice accumulation is also possible across
the Southern Tier Friday. Higher snowfall are possible across the
North Country especially on the Tug Hill where greater than 9 inches
in 24 hours is possible. Snow will linger southeast of the Lakes
Friday night and may pick up another 1-2 inches Friday night. A
Winter Storm Watch has been issued for Jefferson, Lewis and Oswego
late Thursday evening with the higher totals on the Tug Hill and
Lewis county.

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

Then you’d be freaking out because Syracuse was always on the far western envelope. Those weren’t gimmies. But Syracuse often cashed in. Better than mixing I guess. 

Yeah, I realize Syracuse seems to be on the edge with everything. However, even getting whiffed with those would bring a better chance for lake enhanced snows to CNY. With coastals absent, we haven't had much moisture going over the lakes to provide.