• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

15 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It was never going to be more than a nascence storm for the city. The power grid is underground and the UHI factor. 

Depends. If you're driving and there's even a slight glaze, that's a problem. Hoping that won't be the case. People do drive in the city. It's a mess on a good day.

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Depends. If you're driving and there's even a slight glaze, that's a problem. Hoping that won't be the case. People do drive in the city. It's a mess on a good day.

Yeah, people here are very much minimizing how much even a small amount of ice accumulation can have an impact.

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

An even blend of the 12z GFS and Euro gives you temps near 30 degrees in NYC at 12z and much, much colder by 15z. At 15z the GFS is down to 22 degrees at HPN.

The GFS drops quite a bit of liquid between 12z and 18z compared to the Euro.

qpf_006h.us_ne.png

Yes but other models are even warmer, it’s likely best to just toss the GFS

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

We live in the same township and they use a lot of ice melt on the roads so I don't see much of a problem here on the roads

I think this actually has a higher ice accretion potential than many are giving it credit for. Low level cold air is going to drain down to the coast pretty well while the mid-levels are likely going to remain torched. We still have a considerable snowpack on the ground, and even with rain it's not going to completely disappear. Likewise, the cold air really means business here. I was originally thinking this would be either rain or snow for the area a few days ago, but I am genuinely concerned about a good bit of ice accretion here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, qg_omega said:

Yes but other models are even warmer, it’s likely best to just toss the GFS

The RGEM is warmer but temperatures plummet after 15z.

0.2" still falls on the RGEM between 18z and 00z.

The Euro only has a trace during the same period. That's the difference.

3 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

On outer-borough power lines?  I think ice'd accumulate on those at 30 degrees.  Roads and sidewalks in NYC are another story though.

If you blend the Euro and GFS it ends up not being that big of a deal in NYC itself.

Sure, if you take the GFS verbatim then it could be a much bigger issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

I think this actually has a higher ice accretion potential than many are giving it credit for. Low level cold air is going to drain down to the coast pretty well while the mid-levels are likely going to remain torched. We still have a considerable snowpack on the ground, and even with rain it's not going to completely disappear. Likewise, the cold air really means business here. I was originally thinking this would be either rain or snow for the area a few days ago, but I am genuinely concerned about a good bit of ice accretion here. 

We have a barometer in this storm.

How fast does KSWF change over to sleet/snow.

If they don't end up getting that much ZR up in Orange County it means the colder air is penetrating farther SE.

• Like 3

Current Critical Thickness Prog  & Intellicast   Rain/Snow Radar Overlay

spc.thumb.png.530115babed0a4e30c5f3e8d0aab80e5.png

matches up nicely...

I think most of the metro will warm sector until the bitter end :nerdsmiley:

-link to radar for those on the fringe -

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/radar/current

spc meso

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=19&parm=pmsl#

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

We have a barometer in this storm.

How fast does KSWF change over to sleet/snow.

If they don't end up getting that much ZR up in Orange County it means the colder air is penetrating farther SE.

Also obs. from irishrob17 and wdrag showing the front and it’s progressing from the northwest.

6 minutes ago, Doorman said:

Current Critical Thickness Prog  & Intellicast   Rain/Snow Radar Overlay

spc.thumb.png.530115babed0a4e30c5f3e8d0aab80e5.png

matches up nicely...

I think most of the metro will warm sector until the bitter end :nerdsmiley:

-link to radar for those on the fringe -

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/radar/current

spc meso

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=19&parm=pmsl#

LOL, this means absolutely nothing.

The temperatures will reach the lower to mid 40's region wide tomorrow and that has been well forecasted for several days. The plunge begins late tomorrow night.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Lots of rain coming, should melt everything by Friday.

You got 4 weenies for this.

The statement may be overly simplistic given the complexity of the phasing with this system

But…when push comes to shove from these models, high probability of validity for the 5 boroughs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the_other_guy said:

You got 4 weenies for this.

The statement may be overly simplistic given the complexity of the phasing with this system

But…when push comes to shove from these models, high probability of validity for the 5 boroughs

He gets like this with every storm that doesn't drop a foot of snow or more on his backyard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's called being realistic. I acknowledged the icing potential further north. 

Even if you took a blend of the GFS and Euro and sprinkled in a touch of the RGEM and the NAM, you still end up with a pretty nasty ice storm for the NW half of the sub forum and issues all the way into LI and CNJ.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

Yeah this snow pack isn't going very far quickly,  and it's only 40 today 495276211_Screenshot_20220202-140159_LorexCloud.thumb.jpg.858bdbbb94749447a716075240264c6f.jpg

Daytime 40 is one thing, two straight nights above freezing and tomorrow night with rain and approaching 50 is another. Although out on LI there is so much it probably won't be all gone but in the five boroughs i'd expect very little left on Friday morning.    

37 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The RGEM is warmer but temperatures plummet after 15z.

0.2" still falls on the RGEM between 18z and 00z.

The Euro only has a trace during the same period. That's the difference.

Honestly 0.2 qpf of ice during daytime after heavy rain is going to be nothing for NYC Metro. The only scenario that would be a real ice storm for NYC is if GFS is right. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, HVSnowLover said:

Honestly 0.2 qpf of ice during daytime after heavy rain is going to be nothing for NYC Metro. The only scenario that would be a real ice storm for NYC is if GFS is right. 

Daytime?

Temperatures are in the lower 20's outside of the city and it's the first week of February.

15 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Daytime 40 is one thing, two straight nights above freezing and tomorrow night with rain and approaching 50 is another. Although out on LI there is so much it probably won't be all gone but in the five boroughs i'd expect very little left on Friday morning.    

Went to riverhead it was 46, came back home it was 40 lol

8 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Don't underestimate .1 or .2 of ice. It could cause problems and you could fall on your ass. 

I don't think that happens in the city especially Manhattan. North and West is different world. Outer boroughs maybe but probably has to be below 32 for a sustained period of time.  

• Thanks 1

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic