• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

8 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Euro continues to keep the freezing line just NW of the city and it's mainly rain event for I95

This could be one of those times where the Bronx and upper Manhattan and northern Queens get ice accumulation and the southern half of those boroughs along with Brooklyn and Staten Island get plain rain. I've seen it happen before.

9 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Euro continues to keep the freezing line just NW of the city and it's mainly rain event for I95

It's about the same as the 00z run.

Gets the significant icing down to Southern Bergen County.

The target area is North of I-80 and South of I-84.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, weathermedic said:

This could be one of those times where the Bronx and upper Manhattan and northern Queens get ice accumulation and the southern half of those boroughs along with Brooklyn and Staten Island get plain rain. I've seen it happen before.

In a setup like this though with persistent N-NW flow starting by 06-07Z I am suspicious about the low level cold air getting hung up like that...that is more common in a CF type scenario or a classic system with NE winds

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

In a setup like this though with persistent N-NW flow starting by 06-07Z I am suspicious about the low level cold air getting hung up like that...that is more common in a CF type scenario or a classic system with NE winds

The Euro has the city sitting at 33 degrees and plain rain at 12z Friday. The GFS is 28 degrees at the same hour. 

Temperatures crash after than panel on all guidance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

I highly doubt anyone in the immediate NYC metro gets any icing. 

You would need temps to fall through the 20s to see ice accretion. 

NW NJ, SE Upstate NY, NE PA is where the icing is much more likely.

The GFS would have to be correct.

You should include NE NJ. Bergen, Passaic and Morris Counties are not part of NW NJ. When people that live in NJ think of NW NJ they think of Sussex and Warren Counties. 

Keep in mind the Euro delays the cold the longest and has the least amount of precip after temps fall. The UKMET is the warmest out of all but it should be discarded. It shows the city at 55 degrees while the Euro/GFS blend is 30.5 at 12z Friday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wishcast_hater said:

If a transmission line goes down it doesn’t matter if your lines are above or below ground. 

THIS as even in Rockland if your power is underground there is a good chance that before it gets to your house or afterwards it is still above ground as most of my area is like this so even though my power is indeed underground if a tree goes down or a car hits a poll or a transformer blows a qtr mile or more away I still lose power

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It was never going to be more than a nascence storm for the city. The power grid is underground and the UHI factor. 

12z GFS is 27 degrees at 12z Friday.  KNYC and KHPN are same temperature.  The city is more than the manhattan and im talking about the general area.  Euro is 33 at both stations, same time.  GFS is a big ice storm for a lot of the area, Euro is a whole lot of nothing.  Going to be very little accretion of ice at 32, 31, or 30.  Really need temps in 20s for this to become a bigger deal.

• Confused 1

Just now, NJwx85 said:

You should include NE NJ. Bergen, Passaic and Morris Counties are not part of NW NJ. When people that live in NJ think of NW NJ they think of Sussex and Warren Counties. 

Keep in mind the Euro delays the cold the longest and has the least amount of precip after temps fall. The UKMET is the warmest out of all but it should be discarded. It shows the city at 55 degrees while the Euro/GFS blend is 30.5 at 12z Friday.

You're right NE NJ is in that group. 

UKMET has been garbage throughout. It was the southernmost model now it's the warmest. 

However I'm not seeing the cold drain setup until after the precip ends. You want what's happening in TX. Large Arctic high to the north sinking southeast. 

That's not what we're getting

9 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

12z GFS is 27 degrees at 12z Friday.  KNYC and KHPN are same temperature.  The city is more than the manhattan and im talking about the general area.  Euro is 33 at both stations, same time.  GFS is a big ice storm for a lot of the area, Euro is a whole lot of nothing.  Going to be very little accretion of ice at 32, 31, or 30.  Really need temps in 20s for this to become a bigger deal.

An even blend of the 12z GFS and Euro gives you temps near 30 degrees in NYC at 12z and much, much colder by 15z. At 15z the GFS is down to 22 degrees at HPN.

The GFS drops quite a bit of liquid between 12z and 18z compared to the Euro.

qpf_006h.us_ne.png

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic