Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

Just now, Rd9108 said:

I've told people that predicting winter storms is way more than looking at models and "guessing".

That is what makes public snow maps so hard for people to grasp, again ala Trainings comments.  Joe average Businessman (WFH or otherwise) is not going to understand how 6-10" of snow is now down to scraps.   But it can go both ways.  If NWS drops WSW's here and the models were dead wrong, like Jan 25, 2000, people do not understand how it went from flurries to 12-18".  This event is a lot better than sunny and cold so still going to track and watch for changes. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

If it ends up rain up this way, I'll blame myself for moving and bringing the cold rain with me lol

No way up there in P-burg, I’ll happily take that stand and go down in flames if need be lol. Some kind of period of sleet is definitely a real possibility though and maybe freezing drizzle if we slot this far back. I’m still pretty confident in mainly frozen (snow and/or sleet) in this general area here. The low would have to literally track over us or in western PA for me to change my thinking. 

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

No way up there in P-burg, I’ll happily take that stand and go down in flames if need be lol. Some kind of period of sleet is definitely a real possibility though and maybe freezing drizzle if we slot this far back. I’m still pretty confident in mainly frozen (snow and/or sleet) in this general area here. The low would have to literally track over us or in western PA for me to change my thinking. 

You think MDT sees more plain rain than zr? CTP seems to now. 

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

You think MDT sees more plain rain than zr? CTP seems to now. 

Yea, if this does go to liquid at some point in the storm it probably will be with surface temps right at or above freezing. That’s part of the problem with the low tracking inside into eastern PA. The low level flow is ESE and those gusty winds will moderate the surface temps, esp after p-types transition. If this found a way to even mostly stay under PA and go towards Philly or NJ you could have a more ENE flow which could hold the low level temps better. The NAM may be onto something with quicker warmth aloft but it maybe too overzealous with its super strong and far reaching 850 jet. That feature is going to be the key with the front end.

The other part of the problem which has been modeled for days is the surface high setting this cold air mass slides east as the storm tracks up. This transitions initial CAD into a boundary situation where the track of the low will dictate the swath of heavy snowfall and transition zone. If this thing tracked NE right up just inside the coastline the high positioning east wouldn’t be an issue as there is still plenty of cold wrapped into the system.

• Like 2