Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

1 minute ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Are you allowed to post euro maps.  

Can I share Pivotal Weather’s images with the Hobbyist Plan?

Yes, you may share all Pivotal Weather images freely with others, including on your non-commercial website(s) or on social media if the Pivotal Weather branding (logo or web-address) remains on the image or a citation is given. Excessive sharing of images / content mirroring via an automated process of Pivotal Weather images is strictly prohibited. For more information please visit our terms of use or contact us.

• Like 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Can I share Pivotal Weather’s images with the Hobbyist Plan?

Yes, you may share all Pivotal Weather images freely with others, including on your non-commercial website(s) or on social media if the Pivotal Weather branding (logo or web-address) remains on the image or a citation is given. Excessive sharing of images / content mirroring via an automated process of Pivotal Weather images is strictly prohibited. For more information please visit our terms of use or contact us.

So I’m good then 

Another blurb

USE OF IMAGES

All images generated by Pivotal Weather, LLC (including, but not limited to, all images on www.pivotalweather.com) are free to share publicly [social media, personal blogs and websites] on the condition that any copyright, watermarks, logos, or other proprietary notices appear on the posted, copied or shared images, or other suitable, prominent citation given. Special requests, including routine commercial use of images, should contact Pivotal Weather via the commercial contact form or by sending an email to [email protected].

Organized or automated embedding of images generated by Pivotal Weather, LLC on any third party website is prohibited. Any questions regarding this policy should be directed to [email protected].

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think looking at a snow map like this one tends to point toward the MA for the heavier snow once East of the Mountains.   But I agree with your sentiment that its all fine right now.

Yea that looks like the 10:1 map which shows a bit heavier QPF down there. I”m using Kuchera for this without really worrying about inflated totals here because if this event occurs in non-GFS fashion it is going to be a cold storm in PA and the column looks great for good ratios for us. Harrisburg has 4.3” on Kuchera with 0.29 QPF (just under 15:1). Just looking roughly at the maps at different levels, 850 temps are -6 to -8ºC (falling) and 700mb temps across PA are a degree or two either side of -15ºC (inside the ideal -10 to -20ºC range for the snow growth layer). So with that I would say a ratio like that in C-PA is completely reasonable. Not to mention climo for C-PA in January for snow ratios is roughly 12-13:1 and this looks like an actual January type snow event. 

My personal take is the GFS is having trouble popping the wave with the cold airmass in place and presenting it’s tried and true SE bias of the last x number of years/decades. The set up and shortwave is there at 500mb like everything else and I really don’t see a huge difference other than maybe the GFS is somewhat less robust with the shortwave.. maybe. There’s a much better defined ridge out west for this than for today’s event, so with more amp in the pattern I really think something’s going to pop like what the Euro/Canadian and ensembles (even the GEFS to a degree) have been already been fairly solid on the last couple days. The immediately preceding shortwave over the Lakes that sets this up with the cold and etc probably takes the cutter option away and big question is placement of the best snowfall. Even if it did put the best precip in the 95 corridor again, this one should be more expansive with the shield. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Yea that looks like the 10:1 map which shows a bit heavier QPF down there. I”m using Kuchera for this without really worrying about inflated totals here because if this event occurs in non-GFS fashion it is going to be a cold storm in PA and the column looks great for good ratios for us. Harrisburg has 4.3” on Kuchera with 0.29 QPF (just under 15:1). Just looking roughly at the maps at different levels, 850 temps are -6 to -8ºC (falling) and 700mb temps across PA are a degree or two either side of -15ºC (inside the ideal -10 to -20ºC range for the snow growth layer). So with that I would say a ratio like that in C-PA is completely reasonable. Not to mention climo for C-PA in January for snow ratios is roughly 12-13:1 and this looks like an actual January type snow event. 

My personal take is the GFS is having trouble popping the wave with the cold airmass in place and presenting it’s tried and true SE bias of the last x number of years/decades. The set up and shortwave is there at 500mb like everything else and I really don’t see a huge difference other than maybe the GFS is somewhat less robust with the shortwave.. maybe. There’s a much better defined ridge out west for this than for today’s event, so with more amp in the pattern I really think something’s going to pop like what the Euro/Canadian and ensembles (even the GEFS to a degree) have been already been fairly solid on the last couple days. The immediately preceding shortwave over the Lakes that sets this up with the cold and etc probably takes the cutter option away and big question is placement of the best snowfall. Even if it did put the best precip in the 95 corridor again, this one should be more expansive with the shield. 

Yes, mine was 10:1 and I saw yours was Kuch.   I usually just post the 10:1 maps when something is that far out but in this case I more posted it to say why I think paweather called it a MA special.  He was looking at the Surface maps and the darker blues are down there along with the heavier snow on 10:1 terms.  I think the important missing piece here is the chance for this to pop as you say.  Outside the GFS no go scenario, the Euro scenario is probably worst case if the low does form...it could be better. 

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yes, mine was 10:1 and I saw yours was Kuch.   I usually just post the 10:1 maps when something is that far out but in this case I more posted it to say why I think paweather called it a MA special.  He was looking at the Surface maps and the darker blues are down there along with the heavier snow on 10:1 terms.  I think the important missing piece here is the chance for this to pop as you say.  Outside the GFS no go scenario, the Euro scenario is probably worst case if the low does form...it could be better. 

Euro didn’t really even have all that much QPF either. The 10:1 DC area vs LSV was more like a 4-6” vs 2-4” event. That’s another thing to keep an eye on is the QPF aspect. Last night’s Euro was one of the biggest QPF runs despite having decent but not heavy events on some of the other runs. I could see this going either way, being a run of the mill quick hitting wave of snow or a more significant widespread event that merits a NESIS ranking. I just don’t buy the GFS non-event, but yea I sure would feel alot better if it got on board soon lol. Still in the mid-range too, which always has these shenanigans. It’s not that far out though really being at D4. We’ll probably be able to have some hot NAM takes this evening. 

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Euro didn’t really even have all that much QPF either. The 10:1 DC area vs LSV was more like a 4-6” vs 2-4” event. That’s another thing to keep an eye on is the QPF aspect. Last night’s Euro was one of the biggest QPF runs despite having decent but not heavy events on some of the other runs. I could see this going either way, being a run of the mill quick hitting wave of snow or a more significant widespread event that merits a NESIS ranking. I just don’t buy the GFS non-event, but yea I sure would feel alot better if it got on board soon lol. Still in the mid-range too, which always has these shenanigans. It’s not that far out though really being at D4. We’ll probably be able to have some hot NAM takes this evening. 

LOL.  The Nam needs to get on with the nammings before it's retired.