• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

If you love the cold, just take a look at surface temps through the entire 12z (GFS) run.  You'll be somewhat shocked, starting with sub-zero lows Friday night for the northwest 80% of the state.  LSV is low positive single digits.  Lows for Saturday night are a tad milder (lol).  After the brief warmup Thursday there is only one more warmup modeled with temps in the high 30's later in the run.  Whole rest is sub freezing day and night.  It looks just as cold as the cold we just had for January, and right now the cold pattern continues until Valentines Day.  If the ice/zr ends up being substantial, it may not melt for many days.  One other person just mentioned 1994.  I was going to remark yesterday that the upcoming pattern looks and feels a lot like early 1994.  I'm not expecting -20 at MDT during the remainder of winter, however.  For Carlisle the GFS paints almost 0.90" of freezing rain which creates 0.50" of ice accrual.  If that came true this would be a severe ice storm.  In 1994 in NJ in early January we had the same thing...one of most severe ice storms I've ever seen.  That's what preceded the record-setting low temps that caused MDT to drop to -22F which became their all-time record low temperature which still stands to this day.

15 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

If you love the cold, just take a look at surface temps through the entire 12z (GFS) run.  You'll be somewhat shocked, starting with sub-zero lows Friday night for the northwest 80% of the state.  LSV is low positive single digits.  Lows for Saturday night are a tad milder (lol).  After the brief warmup Thursday there is only one more warmup modeled with temps in the high 30's later in the run.  Whole rest is sub freezing day and night.  It looks just as cold as the cold we just had for January, and right now the cold pattern continues until Valentines Day.  If the ice/zr ends up being substantial, it may not melt for many days.  One other person just mentioned 1994.  I was going to remark yesterday that the upcoming pattern looks and feels a lot like early 1994.  I'm not expecting -20 at MDT during the remainder of winter, however.  For Carlisle the GFS paints almost 0.90" of freezing rain which creates 0.50" of ice accrual.  If that came true this would be a severe ice storm.  In 1994 in NJ in early January we had the same thing...one of most severe ice storms I've ever seen.  That's what preceded the record-setting low temps that caused MDT to drop to -22F which became their all-time record low temperature which still stands to this day.

Dear God, please, no.... :(

• Like 1

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, paweather said:

No ice at all and no snow.

That's not quite true regarding no ice, but Bubbler is right about a substantial reduction of the freezing rain due to a delay in the push of arctic air vs heavy precip.  Here's a comparison between 12z first:

zr_acc.us_state_pa.png

Compared now to 18z...

zr_acc.us_state_pa.png

So as you can easily see, a drastic reduction in freezing rain as the heavy precip pulls through while temps stay warmer longer.  

Checking surface temps first 12z Friday:

sfct.us_state_pa.png

MDT hits 32 at 7am Friday morning with a fair amount of precip still to come.

Versus 18z temps:

look at 4:00am first followed by 7:00am.  Temp at MDT crashes 17 degrees in 3 hours...

sfct.us_state_pa.png

7:00am

sfct.us_state_pa.png

I won't post the snow maps because both runs give the entire lsv a big goose egg.

I'm definitely anxious to see the 18z GFS to see if it begins to abandon ship or not.

11 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

I won't post the snow maps because both runs give the entire lsv a big goose egg.

I'm definitely anxious to see the 18z GFS to see if it begins to abandon ship or not.

Exactly why I and others weren't excited yesterday. The event hasn't happened yet but these scenarios rarely ever work out down here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Exactly why I and others weren't excited yesterday. The event hasn't happened yet but these scenarios rarely ever work out down here. 

Icon on TT does not show sleet or FRZ but the temp profiles look pretty bad with the low getting up to the M/D.   Mid to upper 50's heading toward the Trainer Thursday night.   18Z RGEM is not winter precip at all for the LSV.