Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

13 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

No way you mix with a track like that. With snow between you and the LP?!?No way. 

I've seen it before, it can happen. It may not be in that location, but it can happen. There is going to be warm tongues in the mid levels. Thats why kuchie maps should be tossed for the middle of the storm because there are warm tongues that may rime flakes 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Even the GFS is doing that weird mixing to its northwest. It's farther east (over Long Island) than Rgem and Nam, but you can see it showing up in the Berkshires and Eastern NY.

Looked at model soundings for those spots, it's sleet. Seems unlikely given the slp and mid level tracks. But, plenty of Gulf and Atlantic moisture being thrown into the CCB circulation so brief mixing is maybe ???.

• Like 1

Just look at the fronto on the GFS. Thing of beauty. I think the mixing risk is overdone this far inland. 

Soundings from the GFS @ 84. While ART is absolutely cooking here verbatim, I think each major location has a period of very efficient snow growth. Rates should be quite nice. Maybe not high end LES :lol: but plenty good for synoptic. 

by7b1ba.png

gOvT0Ql.png

SJDSh5p.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

There’s still a chance someone accidentally gets stuck in PA on Sunday…. Just let us have this one please? 

Lol..you guys have it. I just have to sit here another 72 hours trying to figure out if it's going to be sleet or snow. THM Non-Winter Storm Warning in effect.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Just look at the fronto on the GFS. Thing of beauty. I think the mixing risk is overdone this far inland. 

Soundings from the GFS @ 84. While ART is absolutely cooking here verbatim, I think each major location has a period of very efficient snow growth. Rates should be quite nice. Maybe not high end LES :lol: but plenty good for synoptic. 

by7b1ba.png

gOvT0Ql.png

SJDSh5p.png

Can you pull one from SYR at the warmest period? I think 84 hours? 

6 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I've seen ZR at 24 degrees. Feb 2015

Setup for ZR and even PL isn't right for CNY.  If we slot, then maybe some if the mid levels pass right overhead but not in the CCB circulation on the NW side of the system.  Esp with the temp profiles antecedent and in-storm.

• Like 1