Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Widespread Snow Potential January 16th to January 18th

sferic

1 minute ago, Blue Moon said:

I'm not going to worry too much about NAM runs this far out. I'll keep an eye on where it's placing the low for now. Once we get w/in 36 hours I'll start worrying about dry slots and warm-nosing.

Unfortunately we've been burned with synoptic systems sooooooo many times in CNY in the several years I have lived here, that I am so skeptical of good snowstorms here. Syracuse was a true synoptic snow king in the 20th century. 21st Century? Not so much.

1 minute ago, Blue Moon said:

I don't see how the 850s would be above freezing if the low is on the coast. 

Well, it looks like it's trying to push that maritime air in off the CT coast, over the Catskills and then it drops into the Mohawk Valley/CNY area. SE winds suck here. But, still seems very unlikely.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It’s a hellacious thump lol. There’s some big omega in the soundings within that band. 

As someone who loves high snowfall rates over anything else in winter cannot say I'm not excited. I also have off on Monday so nothing to do but chase where ever that band sets up.

• Like 2

For you longer-resident NY residents, have you seen a Low in that position off NJ bring in enough warm air to do such a ridiculous thing in the Syracuse area? It looks like we would be in that heavy snow that's showing up in ridiculous colors, but instead they're both interpreting it as a mix? I'm dumbfounded. The only thing I can think of is what I said earlier with the hellwind from the SE.

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

For you longer-resident NY residents, have you seen a Low in that position off NJ bring in enough warm air to do such a ridiculous thing in the Syracuse area? It looks like we would be in that heavy snow that's showing up in ridiculous colors, but instead they're both interpreting it as a mix? I'm dumbfounded. The only thing I can think of is what I said early with the hellwind from the SE.

No. That’s a unique new phenomenon called the THM effect, not to be confused with the THC effect. One makes everything melt , the other makes you eat everything in your pantry. 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

For you longer-resident NY residents, have you seen a Low in that position off NJ bring in enough warm air to do such a ridiculous thing in the Syracuse area? It looks like we would be in that heavy snow that's showing up in ridiculous colors, but instead they're both interpreting it as a mix? I'm dumbfounded. The only thing I can think of is what I said earlier with the hellwind from the SE.

Dynamic cooling is your friend. Dryslot is not. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

There will be a dryslot somewhere but the mixing some of these models are showing will not happen.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

No. That’s a unique new phenomenon called the THM effect, not to be confused with the THC effect. One makes everything melt , the other makes you eat everything in your pantry. 

1 minute ago, vortmax said:

Dynamic cooling is your friend. Dryslot is not. 

Just now, vortmax said:

Hilarious

lol... I truly can't believe both models are showing this. What are the odds? Apparently high if I'm here.

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

It's Thursday night. Two days left for this to evolve.  (Out to the BM LOL)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

lol... I truly can't believe both models are showing this. What are the odds? Apparently high if I'm here.

I think this is what you're referencing? Look at sounding and 2m temps, that is heavy snow not a mix.

Just checked bottom right and says precip type sleet. I don't think I've seen sleet at 20 degrees before?

ref1km_ptype.us_ne.pngsfct.us_ne.png

nam_2022011400_081_43.06--76.26.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think this is what you're referencing? Look at sounding and 2m temps, that is heavy snow not a mix.

Just checked bottom right and says precip type sleet. I don't think I've seen sleet at 20 degrees before?

That's a sleet profile but it's overcooked. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Setting aside that it's the NAM at range, you see a couple things that stand out here. First, the lift is quite impressive. Whatever falls looks to be heavy. Verbatim, it looks like things are right on the edge aloft with temps near freezing, and I do spy a bit of a warm nose right around 850mb. Not sure I'd be worried about mixing unless we saw the 700mb low screaming right overhead. The globals don't really introduce mixing into the region but has a rather uniform (and beautiful) deformation that traverses WNY. 

• Like 4