Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

3 minutes ago, rduwx said:

12z euro was more strung out and tilt wasn't as close to neutral.  Just one run and lots of time for this to change but these are things we need to see improve moving forward  for more qpf imo.

Sorta like that look 6 days out. It seems like these systems always tighten up and amplify a little better once we get inside 72hrs. 

7 minutes ago, rduwx said:

12z euro was more strung out and tilt wasn't as close to neutral.  Just one run and lots of time for this to change but these are things we need to see improve moving forward for more qpf imo.

Yeah it wasn't the run we were looking for without question. The thread brought bad mojo ;-)

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Sorta like that look 6 days out. It seems like these systems always tighten up and amplify a little better once we get inside 72hrs. 

Agreed!  I'll take having this look 6 days out anytime!  LOL!  Of course I'm hoping for more qpf to show up in future runs.

• Like 1

Some thoughts:

- Really love how the medium-range fog lifted and suddenly every model has general agreement that a nice shortwave will dive down on a general corridor from the Dakotas through the Missouri Valley and eventually getting off the coast... somewhere. That's a win. 

- I'm pretty ambivalent on the evolution as modeled. On one hand, as Eric Webb noted in his tweets, it's an easier game precip-type-wise to wring moisture via cyclonic vorticity advection (the jargon that is usually described as "dynamics" colloquially) than it is warm advection which brings can cause issues with, as you can guess, the warm nose. On the other hand, this system as currently modeled is pretty moisture starved once it crosses the mountains and gets to us. It would lead to a pleasant story where the entire state gets in on the action, but the downside is that your ceiling is maybe 3-5 inches depending on where the best banding ends up. The way this improves is with a tighter shortwave that's a legit upper level low (GFS version) and/or the currently unmodeled solution where there's some better cyclogenesis and a coastal low is able to beef up qpf for the eastern portion of the state. 

- Sure does seem like this won't be our only lick in this pattern- I'm not really concerned if this system turns out to be a dud.

• Like 2