• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 5-7 Lake Effect Snow Event

2 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

It looks like the band is moving north of the airport. If it falls off the north shore of the lake will that weaken it?  That’s usually the case when a band falls off the south shore of Lake Ontario. 

Yes it will weaken but will gain strength later this afternoon as it goes south can see the wind direction change looking nw. Going to be several hours before it comes back down though. 

Finally getting into this now in Getzville. As usual, for bands to get this far north, it requires a passing shortwave or quickly moving at the start/end of an event. It won't last long, but better than nothing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Glad to see some of you finally getting some LES, been a tough winter already. I picked up about 7" imby, Areas further south and along the shore have seen close to 20" so far.

Bad time for NWS APX to lose the radar for Maintenance.  Really sucks not being able to track the bands.

Areas that rely on a northerly component for the wind have not done well the past several years. We just can't get that COLD air coming from the north.

...A LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND WILL AFFECT PARTS OF GENESEE AND NORTHERN
ERIE COUNTIES...

HAZARDS...A lake effect snow band which can rapidly reduce visibility
to less than a quarter of a mile. This lake effect snow band is
producing extremely heavy snow at the rate of 1 to 2 inches per hour.

LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...At 1149 AM EST, a lake effect snow band was
extended from Buffalo to Pembroke in western Genesee county. The
lake effect snow band was nearly stationary.

15 minutes ago, WNash said:

Wild to see a mirror image of LES storm of recent years. I feel that photo — watching a good band from the sunny side sucks.

As long as I can chase it I don't really care where it falls. I'll be on cloud 9 later today. But being stuck at work while a band is producing 3-4" per is 20 min north, yes its brutal. :lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

As long as I can chase it I don't really care where it falls. I'll be on cloud 9 later today. But being stuck at work while a band is producing 3-4" per is 20 min north, yes its brutal. :lol:

No way you could have taken the day off or at least a half day?