• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 5-7 Lake Effect Snow Event

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I don't think I'm going to sleep much tonight. @DeltaT13 you chasing?

95 percent no. If I woke up and places had 18 inches already and 3 inch an hour rates (somehow, magically) I would probably call a crazy audible and head out. But honestly, this is still a moderate event in my opinion with a much higher chance of coming in lower than higher.  
But if I lived in Hamburg you bet your ass Id be out there for a little while tonight! and probably all day tomorrow.  For me to chase Buffalo it’s a four hour minimum time investment and a lot of in between travel…..and that only gets me about 90 minutes in the fun stuff!   I’d rather go out for 6-8 hours. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Does anyone know what the actual average snowfall is for Batavia? It seems like they get lake effect more often than one would think. I have found somewhere around 80 inches for an average.

They’re in an interesting spot where some years they get crushed by both Erie in the SW events and also double and triple lake connections from Ontario huron and even superior (those super narrow bands that lock in overnight sometimes). But those are rare enough years that they probably don’t change the average.  I imagine it’s around 80 overall though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Does anyone know what the actual average snowfall is for Batavia? It seems like they get lake effect more often than one would think. I have found somewhere around 80 inches for an average.

I grew up in Batavia and still work there. IMO Batavia doesn't do that well for LE. In most cases Wyoming County could say get 12 inches, South Western  Genesee County may be at 6-8 and Batavia would be at 4 inches 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

New NWS map really cuts back totals for here, looks more realistic IMO. About 6” here according to the map which is about what I’m expecting here. 

99EA8B0B-C367-4C31-980A-673EA901BC88.jpeg

Winds are out of the west. Lake effect is on a east-west trajectory at the west end of the lake…is this a bust already? The warning started at 7 and the band is NOWHERE near forming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I truly don’t understand how we’re going to get lake effect to form with these winds tonight. It’s absolutely unreal out. I’m having gust shake my house worse then the high wind warnings we had a few weeks ago, it’s fricken insane here right now. I bet we’re gusting close to 60mph if not over. I don’t understand how there’s not a high wind warning let alone an advisory. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I truly don’t understand how we’re going to get lake effect to form with these winds tonight. It’s absolutely unreal out. I’m having gust shake my house worse then the hind wind warnings we had a few weeks ago, it’s fricken insane here right now. I bet we’re gusting close to 60mph if not over. I don’t understand how there’s not a high wind warning let alone an advisory. 

It definitely looks like more of a westerly wind right now. I could see those strong winds shredding the bands and sending them further inland than usual.

1 hour ago, Geez150 said:

I grew up in Batavia and still work there. IMO Batavia doesn't do that well for LE. In most cases Wyoming County could say get 12 inches, South Western  Genesee County may be at 6-8 and Batavia would be at 4 inches 

That’s true but Batavia has the ability to get 18-24 inch totals in the most perfect setups, which some people might not expect.

Wyoming county was always one of the best locations during the good years. Elevation helps them a lot. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I truly don’t understand how we’re going to get lake effect to form with these winds tonight. It’s absolutely unreal out. I’m having gust shake my house worse then the high wind warnings we had a few weeks ago, it’s fricken insane here right now. I bet we’re gusting close to 60mph if not over. I don’t understand how there’s not a high wind warning let alone an advisory. 

My kind of lake effect!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

What are you thinking for timing on band tonight?  General idea I am seeing doesn't really get the main band cranking until much closer to day break tomorrow?

3pm-5pm initial front and squall rolls through

9pm-12am secondary front and another squall broken lake plume settle in

2am-4am initial lake plume develops on WSW flow over central Erie and then slides north into or just south of the metro by 6am.

6am-6pm band will do it's magic somewhere in north / central Erie county.

Still like this time line.  I think the action over the lake now is just the secondary cold front blowing through and this will settle into WNY.  Looking back to CLE radar can see feeders struggling to develop with the winds.  Winds start to die down in a couple hours, and the band sets up south and heads into the metro at sunrise.  Feel timing is pushed back to more of an all day Thursday event now as the band looks to keep going throughout the daylight hours.    

• Like 1

Just looked outside and literally said “ HOLY $h!t! , where the street light ?!?.” It’s literally snowing so hard and so windy it’s  snowing completely sideways. Could barely see the street light on the corner of my road. It looks like that old weather channel blizzard icon on the bottom “ticker” on the TV. The winds are BEAST tonight. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Just looked outside and literally said “ HOLY $h!t! , where the street light ?!?.” It’s literally snowing so hard and so windy it’s  snowing completely sideways. Could barely see the street light on the corner of my road. It looks like that old weather channel blizzard icon on the bottom “ticker” on the TV. The winds are BEAST tonight. 

Enjoy!