Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wednesday 12/8 Possible Snow/Ice/Rain? Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wow I thought that was coming NW through about 30 hours and then everything just escapes east. There just isn’t enough concentrated energy to take advantage of the sharper trough. Buckshot vorticity FTL. 

No help from the southern stream, Its all northern stream driven but we will need it to consolidate more.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The vorticity will have no issue consolidating over Buffalo next week

LOL...doesn’t need to when there’s a trough tickling Cabo San Lucas. Storms through BUF or through Chicago...same difference for us. 

Just now, dryslot said:

No help from the southern stream, Its all northern stream driven but we will need it to consolidate more.

Yeah and I think we’re out of time...unless the NAM was a headfake and other guidance comes in beefed up. 

Best hope for more than 3” is prob someone getting lucky under IVT. 

This was called out days ago tho 

- systems deamp coming into shorter range. 

- model skill is inherently worse in this hemispheric circumstance. 

For whatever reason drives those observable biases … it doomed the GFS notions that originally triggered the enthusiasm for this thread. Heh. 

The upshot is the Euro needed a win … It may not nail all fields precisely but at this point probably righter 

• Like 1

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

This was called out days ago tho 

- systems deamp coming into shorter range. 

- model skill is inherently worse in this hemispheric circumstance. 

For whatever reason drives those observable biases … it doomed the GFS notions that originally triggered the enthusiasm for this thread. Heh. 

The upshot is the Euro needed a win … It may not nail all fields precisely but at this point probably righter 

It didn't dampen, though...it just consolidates too late.

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s early obviously….. but tough to draw up a more frustrating start to the season…. This past weekends clipper also went poof

Meh. None of these events looked good for more than a few runs 5+ days out. The pattern in general isn’t conducive for anything good. No skin off my back. I can think of a lot more frustrating things.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah and I think we’re out of time...unless the NAM was a headfake and other guidance comes in beefed up. 

Best hope for more than 3” is prob someone getting lucky under IVT. 

Yeah, This looks like its not going to get it done, But i'll wait to see the rest of 0z

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I mean… it’s still like 40 something hours away…. I suppose if it gets going a bit earlier, it could be intetesting

The thing is the entire deal will need to shift enough west to get the NS snows in here and I just do not see that at this range. If you notice, the shifts west don't do anything because the system is so diffuse back here that it doesn't bring heavier snow in. You need the entire cyclogen evolution to speed up by like 6-12 hours.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It dampened at our longitude yea, but it does eventually consolidate...semantics, I guess. I know what you mean.

The point was …,one of those two factors screwed this up

in the case of the euro is definitely D amped the pattern in which this passed thru - it did not get feedbacks I’ve been watching it all week

in the case of the GFS it timed it wrong . that’s model performance “models don’t perform well in these circumstance” - namely speed. Which also it’s kind of counterintuitive but I think the GFS nuanced with too much curvature in the larger scale flow earlier on, why it was getting a feedback sooner 

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The point was …,one of those two factors screwed this up

in the case of the euro is definitely D amped the pattern in which this passed thru - it did not get feedbacks I’ve been watching it all week

in the case of the GFS it timed it wrong . that’s model performance “models don’t perform well in these circumstance” - namely speed. Which also it’s kind of counterintuitive but I think the GFS nuanced with too much curvature in the larger scale flow earlier on, why it was getting a feedback sooner 

Yea, even a delay in development inherently implies deamplification...regardless of whether it ultimately realizes said potential downstream. 

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes. That is the baroclinic zone. It’s just the area of thermal gradient where you get all the forcing and rapid development of the low. The way to not have it escape east is to weaken any front running shortwaves or energy and have the backside energy become dominant. This is kind of the issue on the current threat. We don’t have a really defined area of energy (usually seen as vorticity on the 500mb maps)....instead we have some weak impulses embedded in the trough. We really want the vorticity more defined near the base of the trough....that will naturally tend to happen of the trough becomes sharper so that is why we are rooting for that look. 

Thanks for this explanation.  Even if this system misses there is a lot to learn...thank you!

• Like 1