• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

Moving on to the next trackable wintry event, ICON starts 12z off with a mixed mess for most of PA on Feb 24-25. Surface temps don't go above freezing in SE PA until the system is already moving out. Tracks the redeveloping triple point under the region....barely. Close call but clear CAD showing up especially N and W of the fall line. Next up, the GFS...icon_T2m_neus_54.thumb.png.6fbdafada74374e80941e38cba5a839a.png

Getting to that point in the season where we need a lot of things to line up right to get an all snow event around here. Still, I'll take a slop event over cold rain any day.

Probably just my imagination but I thought I saw a passing flurries or two, 42F.

• Like 1

As long as Canada is cold, we are going to continue with threats. Like @JTA66 said, tough to get an all snow event as we push into late Feb and early March, but it certainly is doable. Some years you know its over because Canada is overwhelmed with a PAC firehose, etc. This looks like a winter where we will continue getting chances here and there thru a good chunk of March. It will be a roller coaster with 60s sandwiched between cold snaps and trackable events or vice-versa.

• Like 1

Trending towards the typical thump to mix ending as drizzle even with the track as west as it is. The majority of precip is looking frozen and should remain that way as long as that high stays in that position. NW of the fall line will do better but pretty classic CAD signature showing up at this time frame is encouraging, that typically gets stronger and more pronounced with time. Could be a solid event from 95 N and W. Potential for Lehigh valley to see their biggest event of the year.

4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Wind advisory posted for tomorrow. Trash cans back in the garage, let ‘er rip!

34F

Yeah, 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month here you can burn sticks from your yard, and we have a few down after last night and this morning. Might have to get up early, lol. 40 - 50 mph wind gusts makes it a little hairy. So we'll try to be done by 1 pm.

24 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We haven't seen this at all this winter where the GFS overdoes the cold push....it never does that

Very true, gfs is likely overdoing the cold air push, however I still think this system will be more frozen than liquid. CAD should hold up well with that strong high to the N. Leaning towards more sleet than anything though right now for the 95 area and suburbs. Still an eternity out in time but right now, 1-3” snow thump to sleet to light rain/drizzle seems like a fair guess. Looks like a Lehigh valley special at this moment though they also likely change to sleet too, just think they will very likely be all frozen unless the models are way off with that high strength or position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

Very true, gfs is likely overdoing the cold air push, however I still think this system will be more frozen than liquid. CAD should hold up well with that strong high to the N. Leaning towards more sleet than anything though right now for the 95 area and suburbs. Still an eternity out in time but right now, 1-3” snow thump to sleet to light rain/drizzle seems like a fair guess. Looks like a Lehigh valley special at this moment though they also likely change to sleet too, just think they will very likely be all frozen unless the models are way off with that high strength or position.

Problem is as we see even on the GEFS, HP center is way out in the Dakotas. We are relying on an extension to the E of the HP to act as a banana high. Unfortunately,  with no blocking and confluence weakening, that extension of HP is going to erode fairly quickly while the main center continues to build SE into the Plainsgfs-ens_mslpa_eus_24.thumb.png.bd59acc6fb9cc524460b5afa017e0f77.png