Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

4 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

62 on Thursday, looks like a missed opportunity for the Wiggum rule. Nothing showing the next 5 days afterwards temp wise or precip wise. 

The study I have done generally falls between Dec 27 and Feb 10. After Feb 10 the rule can still apply I suppose as we've seen just the past 3 days. The chances begin to exponentially decrease for the "Wiggum Rule" to work though this time of year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Am watching the lows this morning but it appears that my low (with 35 minutes still to go before sunrise) has been 12.  Currently 13 with dp 7 (and a Full Snow Moon soon to be in the offing for the next couple days).

Made it to 13 here early this morning.

Snow moon at work around midnight last night :- ):

0215220040b_copy_1744x1858_copy_1036x1104.thumb.jpg.63a5088b421bbc37c7d598efd35c8735.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

Anyone else thinking about putting down some pre-emergent on the lawn maybe the first weekend of March? I think there's a good chance the 5 day rolling soil temp average gets to 45-50 by that time. I'd love to get a head start on it this year.

I hope you're wrong, but yeah, that and I need to get ahead of my gnat problem this year. Even after a year of professional treatment, it's still a bad time in my back yard when the temps hit 60 or above, and god forbid someone opens a door or a window without a screen at night in the summer with the lights on inside. (My house has odd-sized windows, so I've been slowly making custom screens for them, but even they aren't an exact fit and the little buggers still get in). I hate the idea of spreading chemicals all over my property but the free-range natural organic artisanal non-GMO treatments did exactly nothing.

Back OT, we got down to 8°F last night. The snow on my front yard is slowly sublimating away, and it's so dang dry inside and out. Enjoying the cold while it lasts--nothing really wintery in the long range, boooo.

8 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Big roller coaster pattern the next two weeks into March with the cold entrenched in Canada supplying the chill behind torchy spikes. Impressive wind events coming with it. 

Many upper 50's/60F+ days next week.

Hanging in the 20's (29F), still some snow cover and super bright sun....

talking to my USGS buddies about the 10th St stream gauge in Allentown for the Little Lehigh. My flood  thresholds were exceeded on Sunday and I emailed them to please check it out. This is what they found below .  This is a first for me in my 32+ years here in the LV.  All I can say it been really cold the last few days and if the snow pack was more pronounced , many areas would have been way below zero this morning. The recent" overachiever /over performer" snow event to the snow weenies was indeed dramatic  for even in the locals in the Lehigh Valley. I went to Germansville/New Tripoli  in northern Lehigh County this morning and there was barely a covering/dusting on the ground.  20 miles away at my house 4+ inches are still on the ground. Talk about localized snow banding.

The site 01451500 was visited yesterday afternoon. While water temperatures remain above freezing, the air temperatures have dropped low enough to cause water within the orifice pipe to freeze and constrict air flow through the line. This constriction is pressurizing the line which results in erroneously high gage heights. This was first seen starting the night of Feb 5 and into Feb 6, but the cause for the erroneous gage heights was not known as the condition cleared itself and everything looked normal by the next scheduled visit on Feb 9. We expect the ice in the pipe to soon melt as daytime highs are forecast to reach 50F and nighttime lows will stay above freezing. Once able, measures will be taken to prevent such occurrences in the future.

• Weenie 1

Looking ahead, the 2nd half of the month warm up looks to be short lived. If we can head into the beginning of march with this look below, winter almost certainly hasn't shown it's last hand. We'd have a cold air source to work with even though we still don't have blocking. -NAO becomes less important in March with shorter wavelengths, most important thing is to have cold air in place which would be the case with the -EPO.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_65.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

I hope you're wrong, but yeah, that and I need to get ahead of my gnat problem this year. Even after a year of professional treatment, it's still a bad time in my back yard when the temps hit 60 or above, and god forbid someone opens a door or a window without a screen at night in the summer with the lights on inside. (My house has odd-sized windows, so I've been slowly making custom screens for them, but even they aren't an exact fit and the little buggers still get in). I hate the idea of spreading chemicals all over my property but the free-range natural organic artisanal non-GMO treatments did exactly nothing.

Back OT, we got down to 8°F last night. The snow on my front yard is slowly sublimating away, and it's so dang dry inside and out. Enjoying the cold while it lasts--nothing really wintery in the long range, boooo.   You have a way to go still at 27 degrees  Mid march might be doable

image.thumb.png.6e720e1bc97d0de7af60c9e87168df15.png

3 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Looking ahead, the 2nd half of the month warm up looks to be short lived. If we can head into the beginning of march with this look below, winter almost certainly hasn't shown it's last hand. We'd have a cold air source to work with even though we still don't have blocking. -NAO becomes less important in March with shorter wavelengths, most important thing is to have cold air in place which would be the case with the -EPO.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_65.png

I continue to expect a major east coast elevation driven wet snow event - it will no doubt happen when I am in Florida for Phillies (or not) Spring Training the week of March 14

On 2/15/2022 at 11:00 AM, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

Anyone else thinking about putting down some pre-emergent on the lawn maybe the first weekend of March? I think there's a good chance the 5 day rolling soil temp average gets to 45-50 by that time. I'd love to get a head start on it this year.

First wkend of march for pre emergent??? ahhh....no

• Like 1

Here we go again the mild outlook is looking like nothing other than a brief 7-10 day period thaw and late Feb and March is looking cold and absolutely not spring like. Sick of this crap almost every year now. Massive Pacific ridge overpowering everything no SSW needed. December should be renamed fall and March winter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

Had a low of 23 this morning but once the sun was up, the temp began that fast climb until I hit 48 as a high.  The south/west-facing snow is pretty much gone but there are still patches on the grassy areas that are more in protected locations and are north/east-facing.  The plowed mounds have held their ground though, but with the shrinkage more pronounced.  My snowdrops are in full bloom and I did catch a glimpse of the setting Full Snow Moon early this morning. :lol:

Currently 43 with dp 36 and some persistent high clouds.

• Like 2