Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/ DE Winter 2021-22 OBS Thread

JTA66

23 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

6z Euro moving toward GFS....for what it's worth with the potential SB/Valentines event....

How so? 6z only goes to 72 hrs? If anything, the euro still wants absolutely nothing to do with this event. Less NS dig, timing way off with vorticity interaction. Guess we are seeing it differently or is one of us looking at the wrong maps?ecmwf_z500_vort_us_29.thumb.png.5e5d6fbf8084a5fd629d3ea970071948.png

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

How so? 6z only goes to 72 hrs? If anything, the euro still wants absolutely nothing to do with this event. Less NS dig, timing way off with vorticity interaction. Guess we are seeing it differently or is one of us looking at the wrong maps?ecmwf_z500_vort_us_29.thumb.png.5e5d6fbf8084a5fd629d3ea970071948.png

No expert here but I thought the Euro looked like hell...

26F

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

End or run shortwave is further SW and on the EPS the relative likelihood of 1" has increased....but of course still more to south and eastimage.png.42c31732281d1c72882aebe72e3ee23f.png

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

doesn't look too far off to me at hour 90, some slight timing differences and as you said less vort interaction but nothing jumps out as massively different. With how fast the flow is right now, I doubt either model has a great read on this event yet. Next 24 hours are going to be crucial as by then all pieces should be well sampled. 

Euro

500hv.conus.png

GFS

500hv.conus.png

• Like 1

12z GFS is a bit more progressive with the SS wave and as a result it's a bit further east with the coastal. SNJ wins again :lol: However, still far from a finished product here. Such a delicate set up, I expect we see pretty decent shifts in all directions these next 24-36 hours. I would be happy with 3.5" though, can't say the Lehigh Valley folks would be happy though lol

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

7 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Hoochie mama comes knocking unexpected lol

I hate this winter

I don't get the hate winter views...we did have a top 35 cold January along with above normal snowfall....but I assume because to the North - South - East and West they have all received more snowfall that folks who love snow are not enthralled with Winter Season 2021-22!!

8 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Hoochie mama comes knocking unexpected lol

I hate this winter

Agreed. Yeah, it's only 2/9, but I'm kind of over this winter. If it snows again, great. If something pops up to track, I will. But if the season ended today, I really wouldn't care that much.

11 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Agreed. Yeah, it's only 2/9, but I'm kind of over this winter. If it snows again, great. If something pops up to track, I will. But if the season ended today, I really wouldn't care that much.

I'm in the spring can't get here soon enough crowd this year, but every day the GFS pushes back the pattern change and keeps the PV going strong closer to March. 

Spread-shot so far at 12z that really shows how delicate this threat is. The UKMET is well east, CMC is an inland runner, GFS kind of splits the goalposts with a lean east. Pretty big spread on the ensembles still... We are no closer to getting clarity on this event than we were 12 hours ago. I think the CMC solution is the most unlikely though and would be shocked if things went down like that... it also moved like 200-300 miles northwest in one cycle. UKMET gave most of us 8-10" at 00z then this run has us only getting in on the northern vort 1-2" and being well offshore. GFS is the only kind of model with any sense of consistency so far but even that has been bouncing around 50-100 miles each way the last 3 runs. Hopefully the Euro brings a little bit of clarity. If it sticks with the 12z UKMET like solution, I have to think the eastern solutions would be favored at this time. But still lots of room for things to change as subtle changes at H5 are having big implications due to the spacing and timing of the vorts.

9 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Certainly a tick east on the 12z Euro.....image.thumb.png.66bed7312734acd86e2f055a1fce416a.png

What's crazy is that it honestly looked closer to the CMC than GFS through 84 or so imo but the northern vort pushes the SS out to sea instead of phasing it. Just a real delicate set up. Nightmare to forecast. I wouldn't be confident on any solution until we are 48 hours in or we see some kind of consensus between the globals. I mean really, every single global model has a different solution. Yes some are the same outcome wise, but how the storm develops is different on all 5 globals. With so many vorts zooming around with no blocking, I just don't see the models having a good grasp on this storm until we get much closer. I think because of the lack of blocking and lack of spacing, a sheared out E solution is favored at this time though but as the CMC and even GFS has shown at 12z, small changes at H5 are going to have a big effect on the final outcome. We could certainly still get lucky. Seasonal trend definitely favors a Euro/UKMET like solution though at this time.

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

This looks eerily familiar. Congrats S and E of the Delaware River......again:

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-ma-precip_24hr_inch-4775200.png

They're not really doing that well either. You could probably predict 1-2" for the local burbs/Tri state area and C-1" for the far burbs/Lehigh Valley. Nothing big either way. Bottom line this appears to be another annoying storm w/minor accumulations if any at all...

51F  

• Thanks 1