Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, WinterWolf said:

That’s always a distinct possibility, but I’m choosing to think a lil more positively, and are happy we’ll have some chances. That’s all anybody can really ask for.  I guess we can look at the chances as all whiffs or whatever, but I’m going with the more positive side, and that(as Will pointed out yesterday) that we’re loading the dice more in our favor going forward.  I’m cool with that idea.  

And I’m Gonna  enjoy the gorgeous day today as well. 

I am just talking about the 12/23 deal....that needs work. I'd be shocked if we hit the new year without a significant snow event for most of the region.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I am just talking about the 12/23 deal....that needs work. I'd be shocked if we hit the new year without a significant snow event for most of the region.

Ahh ok. I hear ya. 

Even 12/23 is 6 days away, and lots can and will change especially with the pattern changing drastically/and the blocking setting up. Models will take some time to adjust to this imo. At least we’re moving in the right direction, instead of Vice versa.   

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I kinda like where that one is for you guys out east, at the moment. Needs some work obviously, true, but I can count 99 weenies on here who would not want to be in the bullseye right now. Nor would it be meteorologically plausable for any model to hold a perfect phase for the next 5-6 days. 

There's a couple chances....the longer shot is 12/22-23....but there's a distinct chance at something 12/24-25 too....some guidance kind of has it more like 12/26....but there's a lot of shortwaves in the flow. The key is getting the -NAO to pin enough of a 50/50 low to force any potential cutters to our south.

I also expect additional chances in the week to 10 days post-Xmas. You have that big -PNA just firehosing the flow with shortwaves into the NAO block.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ahh ok. I hear ya. 

Even 12/23 is 6 days away, and lots can and will change especially with the pattern changing drastically/and the blocking setting up. Models will take some time adjust to this imo. At least we’re moving in the right direction, instead of Vice versa.   

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I kinda like where that one is for you guys out east, at the moment. Needs some work obviously, true, but I can count 99 weenies on here who would not want to be in the bullseye right now. Nor would it be meteorologically plausable for any model to hold a perfect phase for the next 5-6 days. 

12/23 is entirely plausible...just needs work and I will want to see big improvements this weekend. If we get to Sunday night and we're still staring at H5 charts and prostate massaging, then its time to sell.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's a couple chances....the longer shot is 12/22-23....but there's a distinct chance at something 12/24-25 too....some guidance kind of has it more like 12/26....but there's a lot of shortwaves in the flow. The key is getting the -NAO to pin enough of a 50/50 low to force any potential cutters to our south.

I also expect additional chances in the week to 10 days post-Xmas. You have that big -PNA just firehosing the flow with shortwaves into the NAO block.

If we score, it will be one event in that 12/22 to 12/26 period...one will get keyed in on.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Damn dude, you took the bait.

It may not snow, but it certainly isn’t going to be rainy and warm 

Its because I wasn't sure what he meant....he could have just meant no snow between now and xmas, which is possible for many of us....but if he meant 50 and rainy SW gales....that is a no-go.

More the OP....EPS is seasonably cold.

I guess 40ish and showers is possible, but I feel like if there is a major storm system, then N stream will be more involved and it will be colder, hence mainly snow.

As 500 digs for oil near Vancouver, it is possible we could have something near or west of us. Hopefully it's just sort of a front to our north with dry WNW flow or something like that.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

As 500 digs for oil near Vancouver, it is possible we could have something near or west of us. Hopefully it's just sort of a front to our north with dry WNW flow or something like that.

You also have some pretty good heights near Greenland, too, so I think the potential for that is measured.

You also have some pretty good heights near Greenland, too, so I think the potential for that is measured.

It is, but it's sort of stretched. IOW, both features are so far apart...not sure the Greenland block will have the power it could if those were closer together. If that makes any sense. It very well might and the GEFS try to show this. But I wouldn't ignore it. The euro op seems a little wild anyways.

I'm just fine with dry and warm and cold and wintry, rather than warm and rain and cold and dry, unless we're going for snowpack records, in which case I'm all for prolonged cold, but prolonged cold leads to high heat bills so I'm good with that too... anyway prognosis looking more favorable for next week it seems...

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It is, but it's sort of stretched. IOW, both features are so far apart...not sure the Greenland block will have the power it could if those were closer together. If that makes any sense. It very well might and the GEFS try to show this. But I wouldn't ignore it. The euro op seems a little wild anyways.

This is exactly my point....its not a perfect block, so yea....theoretically possible, but I feel pretty confident that we are not going to get a system to amplify west of us. I would stick with EPS over Euro OP right now.