Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

10 hours ago, mreaves said:

The ADKs have a different feel than Greens. The Greens, Whites and ADKs are different within a pretty close proximity to each other. 

I think there are 5 high peaks in Vermont. After I finish the adk 46 I’ll be hopping over to Vermont. The New Hampshire 48 is going to take awhile to finish. 

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The Maine peaks look more like the Greens than like the Dacks/Whites.  (Except for Katahdin which looks like nothing else in the East.)

Katahdin is special. I snowmobiled around Baxter on the Tote Rd. a couple of years ago. It was cloudy so I didn’t get a great picture but it was beautiful still. 

1B9DC936-4592-4F7F-8796-E6893616FC84.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Snowpack took a real beating today here too.  Wall to wall sun and low 50s, felt great though. Prob be wiped clean here as well 

Hopefully this is Mother Nature getting the torches out of the way early and we can have a cold/snowy March and April.

If we whiff on the "epic pattern" being talked about and then torch again later in the month, not sure how spring skiing can work aside from some ribbons of death stuff. Natural trails are already mostly shut down over here, at least.

38 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Hopefully this is Mother Nature getting the torches out of the way early and we can have a cold/snowy March and April.

If we whiff on the "epic pattern" being talked about and then torch again later in the month, not sure how spring skiing can work aside from some ribbons of death stuff. Natural trails are already mostly shut down over here, at least.

What's your pack down to now?

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Didn't you have a 30" plus pack a couple weeks ago?

LOL yeah.

Pack after the 8 Feb event was about 30".

Then it dropped into the mid to upper 20s after a few day torch mid month (forgot the exact dates), then the last cutter decimated it. Hours of rain at 60 will do that.

Pretty much looks like early Dec out there.

Based on my drives around the area and skiing no one is really doing much better than I am, in NH at least. I don't think things are too hot in VT either, though. 

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

6” average  

Bare in many south facing spots that were wind blown to begin with.

Pack is weak. 

It isn't ideal, ha.  I've got just 5-6" too, with areas under evergreens starting to show grass blades along the Rec Path.  The spots where all the snow gets hung up in the trees.

Snow seems water-logged after today's above freezing temps.  It's ready to melt when it starts raining.  I saw J.Spin was still sporting 11" this morning, the Spine axis gets the precip around here.  Up by the mountain it's so varied that there are south facing areas going bare and northeast facing spots with a few feet of depth.  I'm sure it's just as variable over there.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:51 AM, dryslot said:

Nice, Congrats, Did you find a place close by?

Still browsing. Think we might rent the first year just to figure out where we want to be. 

On 2/20/2022 at 10:12 AM, Ginx snewx said:

Plui the small mouth are Huge, congrats. you should hook up with Jeff (Dryslot). Great guy he can probably direct you on where to do stuff in Lewiston

Oh yea, looking forward to hitting Thompson and others. I'm getting bored of drop-shotting 30-50' and staring at a screen from June-October in the Quabbin anyway. After 5 years of light spinning gear and 6lbs line getting back into flipping grass and fishing fast last July-November with heavy rods and big braid was too much fun.

Still have 17" at the stake and will likely have a foot or more remaining when/if the snow arrives late week.  Walked the dog thru our woodlot on the sled trail and she was only sinking an inch or 2 when wandering outside the groomer path.  I sampled the snow off trail, got about 20' while sinking 3-4" then dropped past mid-calf, requiring a retreat.  My weight has dropped 25 lb over the past 3 years - eating less - but I'm still well above 200, so our pack is really solid.

49 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Still have 17" at the stake and will likely have a foot or more remaining when/if the snow arrives late week.  Walked the dog thru our woodlot on the sled trail and she was only sinking an inch or 2 when wandering outside the groomer path.  I sampled the snow off trail, got about 20' while sinking 3-4" then dropped past mid-calf, requiring a retreat.  My weight has dropped 25 lb over the past 3 years - eating less - but I'm still well above 200, so our pack is really solid.

That's awesome. You may be the leader in snow pack right now outside some 4k peak.

27 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Off of 50" of snow, that's impressive for sure.

I have 90" on the season and like 5" OTG. LOL

Your area has no CAD, snowpack is still solid here and we had 40 inches at most this year so far, maybe less.  37 at lake shore, 44 at the house a few hundred feet up

image.thumb.png.0ced6d6ec5147c1b6048e07ace518d70.png