• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Was up to my camp in the Adirondacks last 4 days. Mostly worked on the house but managed to snowshoe around the property. North facing slopes averaged 18-20” snow, but south facing down to 6” crust. Elevation varied from 1800’ to 2100’. Logging trails looked good for some backcountry split boarding with one more good storm. 

9 minutes ago, alex said:

No problems from the ice jam. Phew. But very cool to see the local variations in snow cover with this weather. First 2 pictures from Whitefield, other 2 from my house - both taken this morning. 

49181699-1996-4BEA-9F29-4C061AAE35A4.png

12D1DE23-33CF-4E9F-8FDF-D013ECC8A2B1.jpeg

285F9B8C-0906-4FC2-8F87-15E11696F781.jpeg

52B0506F-5147-4D42-86C0-630E56457D27.jpeg

Big difference even yesterday from some of the larger wide open exposed fields and more sheltered calm locations.  Noticed you can drive by bare fields and then a more woodsy residential area has solid cover everywhere.  The larger wind-exposed fields are toasted.

I mean, at this point it looks so rough and melted anyway.  My yard had standing water on top of the shallow few inches of snowpack left.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

My pack is mostly gone. Total restart here. Making me ready to head back to MD for spring honestly. 

I'm outside at the ski area in a t-shirt right now, birds chirping... thinking about days of sunlight until 9pm and hiking with the dog :lol:.

Ice rink up here looks like we should stock it with trout or something.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

My pack is mostly gone. Total restart here. Making me ready to head back to MD for spring honestly. 

That would probably mean a record breaking March with a 70" snowpack. :D

Just kidding. I really picked a weenie spot for my house lol - I look outside and I think - wow, not much damage. But then I drive to bring the kids to school and it looks like November. Used to bother me a lot more though... it'll be back to full white in no time. And frankly, if winter were to end here, it wouldn't be a terrible thing. I love NNE winters but they seem never ending. 

14 hours ago, dryslot said:

Its is some slick here right now, WWA since yesterday and ZR right now with temps 28/26°F before we flip and torch.

Had to carry the ash bucket while resetting the max-min and retrieving the rain bucket last evening.  Could not stand, much less walk, on any surface that was not dead level.  Still awaiting the warm sector, though the temp is now graduating from low to mid 30s and the 0.1" accretion is beginning to come off the trees.  It's weird to be 15-20° colder than most of the surrounding country.  Folks at FVE must feel the same - at 9 they had 18 while CAR/PQI were 37-38.  No change in the 17" pack, though I expect a 2-3" drop when the warm air finally arrives.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had to carry the ash bucket while resetting the max-min and retrieving the rain bucket last evening.  Could not stand, much less walk, on any surface that was not dead level.  Still awaiting the warm sector, though the temp is now graduating from low to mid 30s and the 0.1" accretion is beginning to come off the trees.  It's weird to be 15-20° colder than most of the surrounding country.

I have ice everywhere as well as some of my pack remains, Were already in the 50's here this morning, GYX needs to get the sensor at KLEW fixed, Been down over a week now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I have ice everywhere as well as some of my pack remains, Were already in the 50's here this morning, GYX needs to get the sensor at KLEW fixed, Been down over a week now.

CAD is often a good thing here, but not this morning.  Still in the fog here.  (Both visually and personally :D)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I'm outside at the ski area in a t-shirt right now, birds chirping... thinking about days of sunlight until 9pm and hiking with the dog :lol:.

Ice rink up here looks like we should stock it with trout or something.

Yeah, this is tropical.  Days like this make some people put away their skis for the season and focus on spring; forgetting deep winter might be 48 hours away at any given point.

1 minute ago, bwt3650 said:

regardless of Friday up here, looks like finally a decent signal for some upslope love next week.

Yeah, next week appears to have two shots for decent upslope events.

I am really hoping this Friday deal keeps shifting north and I can get 6-10" of cement. Then a fluffy topper next week and things will at least look back to normal even if the depth is way below normal.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am really hoping this Friday deal keeps shifting north and I can get 6-10" of cement. Then a fluffy topper next week and things will at least look back to normal even if the depth is way below normal.

You're gonna worry your way to a 40" march with a few stat padders in April. 

14 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

regardless of Friday up here, looks like finally a decent signal for some upslope love next week.

Talk dirty to me. NH school vacation week, will be in Bretton Woods half the week and Stowe the other half. Upslope would be great. Although I’d love to be in Stowe when it’s not a hurricane on the mountain lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A beefy 8 on Friday, 10 with the first shot and 6 with the second get us two feet in a week and back to good skiing.  My hope and prediction. And let’s loose these 50s to single digits for a bit.

5 minutes ago, alex said:

Talk dirty to me. NH school vacation week, will be in Bretton Woods half the week and Stowe the other half. Upslope would be great. Although I’d love to be in Stowe when it’s not a hurricane on the mountain lol

Yeah, no joke today.  Jay says 80 mph gusts up top and no upper mountain lifts today.

9 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Yeah, no joke today.  Jay says 80 mph gusts up top and no upper mountain lifts today.

Surprisingly have both Gondola and Quad going today.  West wind staying just high enough over top.  Slamming Spruce though.

Full on torch though.  Dews were near 50F and breaks of sunshine!  Feels like it might be trying to dry out a bit.

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Surprisingly have both Gondola and Quad going today.  West wind staying just high enough over top.  Slamming Spruce though.

Full on torch though.  Dews were near 50F and breaks of sunshine!  Feels like it might be trying to dry out a bit.

The dewpoint on my PWS says 37°

54 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

You're gonna worry your way to a 40" march with a few stat padders in April. 

I hope so. Last March was abysmal. I am ready for the epic March. And I don’t think being down is unwarranted. It is Feb 23 and I basically have zero pack on the ground. LOL that’s pretty bad.