Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.16” L.E.

This morning we picked up an initial accumulation from approaching Winter Storm Frida, but the bulk of the precipitation is still off to our northwest.  There was also 0.02” of liquid in the rain gauge ahead of what have been a transition through mix and very dense snow based on the liquid equivalent found in this morning’s core sample.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.9

Snow Density: 35.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

This holiday week wasn’t an outrageously snowy period for skiing around here in the Northern Greens, but it was actually quite nice in terms of temperatures and conditions.  We had a number of days with temperatures in the upper 20s F to around freezing, and an inch or two of new snow here and there to add at least a bit of freshening.  Overall it was far superior to holiday weeks where there’s been a huge melt out or wall-to-wall subzero temperatures that make skiing impractical.

There’s clearly enough natural snow for Bolton to have their Wilderness Uphill Route and associated terrain open for ski touring, so that was definitely a plus, and it looks like the area saw plenty of use from skiers.  Lift-served terrain at the mountain is still somewhat limited as they continue with snowmaking, but they’ve got Hard Luck open for some steep skiing on top of the usual early season routes.

My wife and I were out for a snowshoe tour Monday on the backcountry network, I went ski touring in the Wilderness area on Wednesday, and then we skied lift service on Thursday, so I’ve added a few shots from the holiday week below.

27DEC21A.jpg.a95f64722bddc367bbb86ad0784114fa.jpg

29DEC21A.jpg.c98bc36963358749f44eaec8a033799f.jpg

29DEC21B.thumb.jpg.2336509d3ab977bc99b89b06ec25dfdf.jpg

30DEC21A.thumb.jpg.f94fbd40d4c88b6a5b2f57c887cfb400.jpg

30DEC21B.thumb.jpg.8e792f323c95d13f6985e52fa6bcb75e.jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

This holiday week wasn’t an outrageously snowy period for skiing around here in the Northern Greens, but it was actually quite nice in terms of temperatures and conditions.  We had a number of days with temperatures in the upper 20s F to around freezing, and an inch or two of new snow here and there to add at least a bit of freshening.  Overall it was far superior to holiday weeks where there’s been a huge melt out or wall-to-wall subzero temperatures that make skiing impractical.

There’s clearly enough natural snow for Bolton to have their Wilderness Uphill Route and associated terrain open for ski touring, so that was definitely a plus, and it looks like the area saw plenty of use from skiers.  Lift-served terrain at the mountain is still somewhat limited as they continue with snowmaking, but they’ve got Hard Luck open for some steep skiing on top of the usual early season routes.

My wife and I were out for a snowshoe tour Monday on the backcountry network, I went ski touring in the Wilderness area on Wednesday, and then we skied lift service on Thursday, so I’ve added a few shots from the holiday week below.

27DEC21A.jpg.a95f64722bddc367bbb86ad0784114fa.jpg

29DEC21A.jpg.c98bc36963358749f44eaec8a033799f.jpg

29DEC21B.thumb.jpg.2336509d3ab977bc99b89b06ec25dfdf.jpg

30DEC21A.thumb.jpg.f94fbd40d4c88b6a5b2f57c887cfb400.jpg

30DEC21B.thumb.jpg.8e792f323c95d13f6985e52fa6bcb75e.jpg

Not a deep pack but looks wintery at least.

37/37 with a "heavy drizzle" at the moment. What a nasty weekend overall. Having said that, I echo J. Spin's sentiment regarding a very good holiday week for outdoor activities. I managed to get over to Stowe for the first time on Wednesday and Thursday...and while lift-serviced terrain is somewhat limited, it was more than enough to satisfy my girlfriend (second year on skis) who was quite content lapping the Meadows chair...as well as her 9 year old son who was beyond thrilled to ski his first black diamond (Nosedive). I can't wait to go back when more terrain is open.

Back on the weather side....it was one year ago today when we established our seasonal snowpack for the 2020-2021 winter. This year we managed to do it a little earlier (12/18) but we're still waiting for the first 6" snowfall in these parts whereas last year there had already been three at this point. We've had enough nickel and dime events that I think one more dense snowfall of 6-8" would be enough to open up some limited backcountry terrain. Really hoping the Friday event pans out.

Drove over to Sunday River this afternoon to do a couple uphill laps. It rained most of the way there, except for a short stretch between Pinkham Notch and Gorham. Once I got to Shelburne NH it flipped back to rain and remained rain until the road up to the Jordan Hotel, where it flipped back to a 34-degree snow. Sunday River ended up with a very slight coating, and there was also a very slight coating (less than 1") between Gorham and Pinkham Notch on the drive home. No snow here in Jackson.

Now we await the arctic air.

Winter temperatures have returned.  Still a total glaciated pack but not more than 4 or 5".   Since I have lots of family in the Baltimore/DC area I have been messaging all day with my friend Bob Turk who is the TV met down there.  What a tough forecast.  Very sharp north cutoff through the metro.  No excitement here.  

37 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Winter temperatures have returned.  Still a total glaciated pack but not more than 4 or 5".   Since I have lots of family in the Baltimore/DC area I have been messaging all day with my friend Bob Turk who is the TV met down there.  What a tough forecast.  Very sharp north cutoff through the metro.  No excitement here.  

It's been a real sharp cutoff, I'd rather have it miss me by 100 miles than be on the fringe and get a half inch.

Just now, alex said:

A nice snowy evening. Eyeing a couple of inches 

I will say I thought we'd see more, but there is a nice fresh layer out there.  Cold too this evening, it's 13F outside.  Still some flurries occasionally moving through, high-vis but floaty flakes.

The "snowpack" is sparkling and despite only 5" of crusty snow with a fresh topping, it looks wintry out in town.  Wife and I just walked home and it's got a winter vibe.  Much better than bare ground and perpetual autumn.  Snowfall and especially depth this season hasn't been noteworthy by any means, but I do know it's seemed white outside a decent amount of the time since sometime in November.

Event totals: 1.7” Snow/0.21” L.E.

We’ve mostly cleared out now, so I’d say the totals above are the final values here at our site for this northern component of Winter Storm Frida.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 5.2 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches