Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2021-2022 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

5 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Visiting up in Jackson County for this storm, 5200 feet near waterrock knob. Not familiar with the mountain patterns up here. Worried a bit on the speed of the system, as it's out of here early tomorrow morning. With the need to drop the Temps, cool the ground, no real nw flow event to speak of, I don't see how my back yard gets much higher than 4-5 inches. Don't see very high amounts up here other than the border peaks but could be wrong I guess. 

You are in a great spot. 6”+ for sure like Franklin said. I used to live at the base of the mountain, you should see some flow snow on the backside as well as the system exits.  I’m guessing you are staying somewhere off Greenspire? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Disc said:

While I'm sure that's a bit overdone, it's obvious that this is a very dynamic system capable of some serious snowfall rates. My real concern today has been the trend with a later changeover from rain to snow. Some guidance is now showing we won't flip until 7-8am, with the precip moving out a few hours later. That's gonna leave a lot of folks disappointed. The change from rain to snow is never favorable around here as I'm sure you already know, but the thing going for us here is this being such a dynamic system and the lift is crazy. Here is a frame from the 00z NAM (10z/5am)..

tsB42TI.png

..this frontogenesis band along the Blue Ridge means business. Although the model may indicate rain/mix at this timeframe and the surface is mid 30s, it's likely gonna be snow if you're under that. With lift and rates like that it will obviously cool the surface quickly. The change over to snow will be once this passes over. Older runs had this coming through sooner and we switch to snow sooner, thus better totals. Something to watch, but regardless we're still good for at least a few inches of paste.

If we didn't have a surface low rapidly developing to the south, you wouldn't get the heavy rates, and in turn this would've likely been a cold rain for most. We're truly getting lucky here to be getting any snow. 

Welp that deflated the tire LOL. Both know at this point sooner we can flip the better chance we have of higher totals. Sometimes I’ve been happily surprised, other times I’ve woken up to see 37 and rain so time will tell. Appreciate the thorough analysis.

I might be the only one still up!  Raining hard here in North Asheville.  Some concern about the lack of cold air filtering into the mountains so far, i.e. the cold chasing moisture concern.  GSP forecast was originally for high elevation changeover in late evening hours.  Cataloochee ski area is still at 37 degrees at 2:15AM, Mount Mitchell at 36.  Asheville 47.  I'm concerned the delayed temperature drop could effect totals.  We will see though!  Will be nice to see something regardless.

• Like 2

I might be the only one still up!  Raining hard here in North Asheville.  Some concern about the lack of cold air filtering into the mountains so far, i.e. the cold chasing moisture concern.  GSP forecast was originally for high elevation changeover in late evening hours.  Cataloochee ski area is still at 37 degrees at 2:15AM, Mount Mitchell at 36.  Asheville 47.  I'm concerned the delayed temperature drop could effect totals.  We will see though!  Will be nice to see something regardless.
I'm up too. Currently sitting at 33.6° with moderate to heavy rain and waiting for the switch over to snow at 4400' in Wolf.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic