Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - Fall 2021

canderson

4 minutes ago, MrFreeze6298 said:

due to the effect of night-time radiation, temperatures may fall to between 32-37°F

There are some people that think night time "radiation" causes high temps at our official location station which is not far from Three Mile Island.  Ha.   If you are familiar with the Nuclear Accident in PA during the late 70's.

But in seriousness, I know the valleys to my east really do radiate well during the winter but you seem well ahead of us.  We were just talking about how later summer temps may try to make a comeback in a couple weeks...unfortunately. 

There are some people that think night time "radiation" causes high temps at our official location station which is not far from Three Mile Island.  Ha.   If you are familiar with the Nuclear Accident in PA during the late 70's.

But in seriousness, I know the valleys to my east really do radiate well during the winter but you seem well ahead of us.  We were just talking about how later summer temps may try to make a comeback in a couple weeks...unfortunately. 

Indian Summer

34 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Indian Summer

I never looked up the etymology of that word so here goes...

The late 19th-century Boston lexicographer Albert Matthews made an exhaustive search of early American literature in an attempt to discover who coined the expression.[2] The earliest reference he found dated from 1851. He also found the phrase in a letter written in England in 1778, but discounted that as a coincidental use of the phrase.

Later research showed that the earliest known reference to Indian summer in its current sense occurs in an essay written in the United States circa 1778 by J. Hector St. John de Crevecoeur. The letter was first published in French. The essay remained unavailable in the United States until the 1920s.[3]

Although the exact origins of the term are uncertain,[4] it was perhaps so-called because it was first noted in regions inhabited by Native Americans, or because the Natives first described it to Europeans,[5] or it had been based on the warm and hazy conditions in autumn when Native Americans hunted.[4] Because the warm weather is not a permanent gift, the connection has been made to the term Indian giver.[6] It is also suggested that it comes from historic native American legends, granted by the God or 'Life-Giver' to various warriors or men, to allow them to survive after great misfortune, such as loss of crops.[7][8]

In literature and history, the term is sometimes used metaphorically. The title of Van Wyck Brooks' New England: Indian Summer (1940) suggests an era of inconsistency, infertility, and depleted capabilities, a period of seemingly robust strength that is only an imitation of an earlier season of actual strength.[9] William Dean Howells' 1886 novel Indian Summer uses the term to mean a time when one may recover some of the happiness of youth. The main character, jilted as a young man, leads a solitary life until he rediscovers romance in early middle age.

In British English, the term is used in the same way as in North America. In the UK, observers knew of the American usage from the mid-19th century onwards, and The Indian Summer of a Forsyte is the metaphorical title of the 1918 second volume of The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy. However, early 20th-century climatologists Gordon Manley and Hubert Lamb used it only when referring to the American phenomenon, and the expression did not gain wide currency in Great Britain until the 1950s. In former times such a period was associated with the autumn feast days of St. Martin and Saint Luke.[10]

In the English translation of Boris Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago, the term is used to describe the unseasonably warm weather leading up to the October Revolution.[11]

11 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes. That's why I totally respect the situation. Just because it does nothing for me, it's not about me. I acknowledge that most on here love to see them, so they absolutely should get posted. Why not post things that people want? 

I always try to be a crowd pleaser…unless we are talking about sports!

10 hours ago, pasnownut said:

They are just for fun and most know that.  Do they give false hope....yes and no.  They are sort of like baseball talk in a weather forum.....something to do while we wait for the weather we enjoy....baseball talk does nothing for me, but for those that enjoy, it passes the time. At least they are related to what the forum is here for.  

In defense of snow maps, I think those of us that "use" them, do it more from a probablity perspective, and when NAM is spitting out crazy colors, we usually dont buy in to anything more than the fact that the likelyhood of something happening is increasingly likely. Thats how I use them anyway.  

Now back to baseball.............

:P  

Snow maps are just one tool in the weather toolbox. When I post them, I am not saying that they are right or wrong. It is just one possible solution in a range of outcomes.

The closer that we get to an event, they take on a little more significance, especially if we ever get some reasonable model agreement.

The snow maps also carry a little more weight if the storm potential fits the pattern and has telleconnection support. Storm track and Storm type also are good guides as to how our region might perform. 

October starts on Friday…our time is coming soon!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Snow maps are just one tool in the weather toolbox. When I post them, I am not saying that they are right or wrong. It is just one possible solution in a range of outcomes.

The closer that we get to an event, they take on a little more significance, especially if we ever get some reasonable model agreement.

The snow maps also carry a little more weight if the storm potential fits the pattern and has telleconnection support. Storm track and Storm type also are good guides as to how our region might perform. 

October starts on Friday…our time is coming soon!

Probably see 2-3 80s the first two weeks of the month. Gonna be hot. 

8 minutes ago, paweather said:

Who was the problem last night 2 runs our offense stinks right now at the worst time to stink. Time to play golf. 

They’re not eliminated yet, just need to win 4 in a row, hope the Braves lose 5 in a row, then beat the Braves in a tiebreaker game.