• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2021 Discussion/Obs

George BM

M0.59" Reisterstown. I'm right by the PBS station off Owings Mills Blvd.

That is probably more accurate I was driving from Towson to Chestnut Ridge I could not see past the car in front of me when I got home I realized the storm was following me about due north for a good 30 minutes. That’s not a normal storm track. That’s tropical like.

It’s still heading almost due north.

10 minutes ago, AU74 said:

Yep, here between Colesville and Cloverly as well. More to come I think based on radar.

4 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Us three close and Ke### and I frequently have same results in these isolated set ups. 

What a deluge out there - NWS posted a flash flood warning now. Well warranted if this keeps up. I'm keeping an eye on the USGS gauge on NW Branch near Kemp Mill Rd. 

EDIT: The gauge hasn't updated since 0245z (about an hour ago at this point). It does generally lag a bit - but normally only by 30-45 mins. Suspect that the next update will show rising water at this point. Link below for both of you as it should be fairly representative for any creeks in our area. 

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv/?site_no=01650500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,62615,62620

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph_to_xml.php?gage=clam2&output=tabular

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

It does seem there will be a lull (no backbuilding at the moment) behind this stuff and ahead of the next wave to the south (if that stuff survives up here, that is)

Agreed, but really hoping that area to the southwest doesn't pivot hard to the northeast.   Even with a lull, it would get really bad if that moves over the areas that have already been drowned this evening.

8 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

What a deluge out there - NWS posted a flash flood warning now. Well warranted if this keeps up. I'm keeping an eye on the USGS gauge on NW Branch near Kemp Mill Rd. 

EDIT: The gauge hasn't updated since 0245z (about an hour ago at this point). It does generally lag a bit - but normally only by 30-45 mins. Suspect that the next update will show rising water at this point. Link below for both of you as it should be fairly representative for any creeks in our area. 

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv/?site_no=01650500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,62615,62620

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph_to_xml.php?gage=clam2&output=tabular

Exactly where  the Kemp Mill NW Branch one ? Up by Randolph or down the trail off KM?

Just now, WEATHER53 said:

Exactly where  the Kemp Mill NW Branch one ? Up by Randolph or down the trail off KM?

The coordinates for it put it near that old bridge that's closed off. It seems like it's just a hair south of actual Randolph Rd. This time of year probably not visible from the road - but perhaps in winter? 

1 minute ago, high risk said:

Agreed, but really hoping that area to the southwest doesn't pivot hard to the northeast.   Even with a lull, it would get really bad if that moves over the areas that have already been drowned this evening.

Places like @H2O - definitely don't even need moderate rain - let alone heavy. House here is OK as we are on a hill - though a little puddling can come into the garage (I just put in a new seal the other day!). That was some impressive rainfall IMBY for a time - it's a bit lighter for the moment. 

4 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Well - main water line is leaking into basement, tree is down blocking entire road. Glad this latest batch mostly missed MBY. 

CLAM2 (Colesville stream gauge) hit flood stage. 

Saw your tweet to me but figured I’d reply here.  Was the water coming into the house where the main service line comes into the house?  It might not be the line itself leaking but due to the heavy rain it’s actually hydrostatic pressure FROM the rain.  As in there was so much rain that it worked it’s way to your service line depth and because the line itself created a tunnel when installed the water followed it and flowed into your house.  Path of least resistance. 

only other explanation would be the line IS leaking but that would be from WSSC jacking up the pressure of the water system higher than normal. Not sure if any of those recent big main breaks are near you and that’s what caused it.  The way to know if that’s the cause is turning on a faucet and the water coming out is a lot stronger and not normal. 

Hope this helps

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

Saw your tweet to me but figured I’d reply here.  Was the water coming into the house where the main service line comes into the house?  It might not be the line itself leaking but due to the heavy rain it’s actually hydrostatic pressure FROM the rain.  As in there was so much rain that it worked it’s way to your service line depth and because the line itself created a tunnel when installed the water followed it and flowed into your house.  Path of least resistance. 

only other explanation would be the line IS leaking but that would be from WSSC jacking up the pressure of the water system higher than normal. Not sure if any of those recent big main breaks are near you and that’s what caused it.  The way to know if that’s the cause is turning on a faucet and the water coming out is a lot stronger and not normal. 

Hope this helps

Replying here even though it's banter (I posted an image over in there as well). I managed to get a few hours of shut eye. Good news is the leak pretty much stopped/slowed now that the rain has been gone for a while. One of the neighbors was here just now and said it seemed like it might just be where the service line meets the internal piping. There's an area that looks like PVC style piping where it comes into the basement and then it goes back over to copper - he thinks the "boot" might just be loose. 

We are still waiting for the plumber - hopefully we can avoid anything new until he gets here. I'm wishing the rain away for now. A water alarm saved our butts...I heard it going off and we managed to scramble to figure out the cause. 

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic