• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is why I did not endeavor to look for it and I do have the link you gave me but I am working some in between posts. Thanks for brining it back. 

It’s been an active few days of weather too, with rain and storms and (hopefully) MDT’s hottest days of the summer.

7 minutes ago, paweather said:

We better be on page 134 in December with a new thread! LOL.

The Western PA folk seem to mostly post on here only in winter, so that’s up to Bubbler.

Hopefully we’ll have actual snow in Pittsburgh to talk about in our own thread in December.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

You bite your tongue about Wellsboro!

Yeah anyway.  Cabin is 15 miles west of Wellsboro in Pa Grand Canyon....ya know Gods Country....:P

I'll be there tomorrow night sipping on a cocktail w/ my lovely wife.  Hoping to hear some raindrops on the tin roof....

but truth told, I cant wait to get out west or up to alaska.....or NORWAY.  all bucket list items.  Daughter just moved to Denver, so I'm anxios to see the rockies.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

The Western PA folk seem to mostly post on here only in winter, so that’s up to Bubbler.

You might not be able to stand it here in the winter.  We spend an inordinate amount of time trying to hone in on the big dog which would screw you in the majority of set ups.  Tough love.  We have no issue screwing the beltways though. My perfect winter would be Westminster getting 75" and Baltimore held to a trace. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You might not be able to stand it here in the winter.  We spend an inordinate amount of time trying to horn in on the big dog which would screw you.  Tough love.  We have no issue screwing the beltways though. My perfect winter would be Westminster getting 75" and Baltimore held to a trace. 

As does everyone. Like I said, if we have actual snow in Pittsburgh to talk about in December I’ll find myself there. Lol.

Edit: scratch that. It doesn’t even have to be actual snow. Digital snow is enough to talk about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

As does everyone. Like I said, if we have actual snow in Pittsburgh to talk about in December I’ll find myself there. Lol.

Edit: scratch that. It doesn’t even have to be actual snow. Digital snow is enough to talk about.

What is the highest single snow you have ever received there?  '93 or something earlier?  Without the copious moisture feed we can get, I bet it is can be tough.  

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

What is the highest single snow you have ever received there?  '93 or something earlier?  Without the copious moisture feed we can get, I bet it is can be tough.  

That’s the highest 1 day total (23.6”). There were 1950 and 1890 storms that had slightly higher storm totals. Highest seasonal total was 82” in 1950-51. But we get nickel and dimed a lot more than you do with the lake effect and all.

5 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

That’s the highest 1 day total (23.6”). There were 1950 and 1890 storms that had slightly higher storm totals. Highest seasonal total was 82” in 1950-51. But we get nickel and dimed a lot more than you do with the lake effect and all.

Yea, I think its generally a different kind of world as to the average winter.  I would have thought you would get more of those "white Christmas, pretty landscape snows" then we would ever hope for here.  Interesting topic as you hear people say they would love to live in the Tug Plateau but I think I would get sick of it there.   Being denied so often makes the victories more sweet.  You do not see many Patriots fans fawning over a championship these days because they are so used to them (and Cowboys fans act like we have some recent ones as well though Dallas is on a LONG dry streak).  But a have a team like Jax win the Superbowl and its an incredible event for them.

PS-Lake Effect ...fake snow :-)

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, I think its generally a different kind of world as to the average winter.  I would have thought you would get more of those "white Christmas, pretty landscape snows" then we would ever hope for here.  Interesting topic as you hear people say they would love to live in the Tug Plateau but I think I would get sick of it there.   Being denied so often makes the victories more sweet.  You do not see many Patriots fans fawning over a championship these days because they are so used to them (and Cowboys fans act like we have some recent ones as well though Dallas is on a LONG dry streak).  But a have a team like Jax win the Superbowl and its an incredible event for them.

PS-Lake Effect ...fake snow :-)

Interestingly enough, up until last year we had gone 85 years without recording 2” of snow on Christmas Day itself. We do get a lot of those. It’s gone rather quickly, and this past February’s 3 weeks of snow cover is definitely an anomaly here. But yeah it’s a totally different climate from yours in winter (probably hence the reason we have separate threads for different regions of the state).

17 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Interestingly enough, up until last year we had gone 85 years without recording 2” of snow on Christmas Day itself. We do get a lot of those. It’s gone rather quickly, and this past February’s 3 weeks of snow cover is definitely an anomaly here. But yeah it’s a totally different climate from yours in winter (probably hence the reason we have separate threads for different regions of the state).

On an unrelated topic, just noticed CMC has the 'Cane and brings it up farther inland.  I know the Euro and UK did not but forgot to check Ole' Canada.

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

On an unrelated topic, just noticed CMC has the 'Cane and brings it up farther inland.  I know the Euro and UK did not but forgot to check Ole' Canada.

I did see that. Still shoves it away before it gets much rain into PA but much closer.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

I did see that. Still shoves it away before it gets much rain into PA but much closer.

Even if we do not get rain its still an interesting item to track though it borders on moral issues when people are hurt.  CMC takes it right over Surfside.  Being on the west/clean side of the circulation will make us dry out more than usual anyway so it will not be a good thing for team grass unless it does inject moisture over us. 

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

About 20 pages ago Canderson said we would be paying for this in October but maybe he meant October would be extra chilly after the extra hot first month of summer. 

I just want to make up our precip deficit in December with well above normal snow to start our Winter and end the calendar year without a precip shortage.

I am already dreaming of getting my snow blower ready…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah anyway.  Cabin is 15 miles west of Wellsboro in Pa Grand Canyon....ya know Gods Country....:P

I'll be there tomorrow night sipping on a cocktail w/ my lovely wife.  Hoping to hear some raindrops on the tin roof....

but truth told, I cant wait to get out west or up to alaska.....or NORWAY.  all bucket list items.  Daughter just moved to Denver, so I'm anxios to see the rockies.  

My buddy’s cabin that I’ve been going to for decades is just west of you, a few miles south of Gaines on top of a hill. It really is like leaving the modern world behind when you go up there, love it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

...and never really blasts us with a ridge of any longevity or magnitude until late in the run.

Looks like the hwrf takes Elsa out into the open Gulf.  Eventually track is going really be determined by pressure from any prospective ridge push from the south east.  Euro may give up on the dissipation theory.