• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

10 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

My buddy’s cabin that I’ve been going to for decades is just west of you, a few miles south of Gaines on top of a hill. It really is like leaving the modern world behind when you go up there, love it. 

I'm betting you know where the gift shop w/ the caboose is??  :P  I'm up on top of that "hill".

19 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Saw this spotter report....is it saying he picked up 1.75" in 45 min?   Did not know Lancaster County had rain on that level yesterday.

image.png.2f43d890df0a72c9eeec6fe51be5aff2.png

The cell that was warned for our area around 2pm yesterday both strengthened and slowed as it moved into eastern Lanco. Yes, there were some nice totals from the eastern part of the county. I believe that neighboring Chester was under a Flash Flood Warning as a result of that cell. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The cell that was warned for our area around 2pm yesterday both strengthened and slowed as it moved into eastern Lanco. Yes, there were some nice totals from the eastern part of the county. I believe that neighboring Chester was under a Flash Flood Warning as a result of that cell. 

There must be a huge disparity between different parts of Lanco for the Spring and Summer.   That area near Gap/Chester keeps piling it on.   Blizz might have to loan them some of his grass mowing apparatus. 

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

It seems to happen so fast these last couple years.

And almost always before models prog it.  The Euro is out of this discussion because it has had almost nothing right with the intensification but not sure anything else had it popping this quickly.  I have so very little faith in model intensity forecasts. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

And almost always before models prog it.  The Euro is out of this discussion because it has had almost nothing right with the intensification but not sure anything else had it popping this quickly.  I have so very little faith in model intensity forecasts. 

I mean the NHC’s 5am forecast never had it reaching hurricane intensity through 5 days.

The CMC might also be of interest, it never puts Elsa into the Gulf at all and runs it just off the east coast before landfall in SC.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

I mean the NHC’s 5am forecast never had it reaching hurricane intensity through 5 days.

The CMC might also be of interest, it never puts Elsa into the Gulf at all and runs it just off the east coast before landfall in SC.

I saw that and yea the NHC forecasts are always behind as well.  At least the last few years, like you said.  I suspect the NHC was letting the Euro weigh in some with their thoughts.  Between the Hwrfurf GFS, HeyMon, and CMC all of Florida should certainly be thinking about what they will do if they are under a Hurricane Warning Monday.   I checked the news papers down there and they are all hyping it. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I saw that and yea the NHC forecasts are always behind as well.  At least the last few years, like you said.  I suspect the NHC was letting the Euro weigh in some with their thoughts.  Between the Hwrfurf GFS, HeyMon, and CMC all of Florida should certainly be thinking about what they will do if they are under a Hurricane Warning Monday.   I checked the news papers down there and they are all hyping it. 

The thing that especially seems to be a meteorological unknown is the whole rapid intensification thing. May not apply with this storm because we’re early in the season and there should be a fair amount of land interaction before it gets to Florida. Still, there’s definitely a decent chance this makes landfall in Florida and is at hurricane strength when it does so.

Also, we’re running several days ahead of even last year’s schedule with the timing of the “E” storm.

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

The thing that especially seems to be a meteorological unknown is the whole rapid intensification thing. May not apply with this storm because we’re early in the season and there should be a fair amount of land interaction before it gets to Florida. Still, there’s definitely a decent chance this makes landfall in Florida and is at hurricane strength when it does so.

Also, we’re running several days ahead of even last year’s schedule with the timing of the “E” storm.

Another thing that is usually not very good.  Hurricane seasonal forecasting.    But anyone that think this could NOT gain Cat 4 or 5 strength is fooling themselves.  It could go from 2-4 in the Straights of Cuba alone if it slowed down by then.  So I agree that this part of the forecast is usually off. 

1 minute ago, paweather said:

Florida is going to get rocked. 

Yes. 

And speaking of Florida, when Bubbler posted about Elsa being a hurricane, I immediately thought of Elsa from Frozen. :) And that's why I simply said "Let It Go" (for those who know anything about Frozen, there's a song called Let It Go) 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Exactly! Nice little stretch of weather where we push pause before the heat really comes back next week. 

65/53 at 11am in the ‘burgh. I know you guys are a bit warmer than that but still good enough for July.