yoda

2021 Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread

Anyone have one of these? I used it this winter and the pizza was underwhelming. The temp struggled to get above 550 but that may have been due to the sleet storm happening at the time. Will probably try it again this summer but wondering  if anyone has had good luck with this contraption. 

DCE86E8C-8019-4AAA-965E-5744C219113A.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

I think it is. Mr J found it at our favorite local Co-op we are members at. The Common Market. 

The best grocery store in a 50 mile radius....maybe ever.  Always have the ingredients you are looking for and their produce section is a home chef's dream.....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Those are some fine looking pies, nice work. What temperature are you baking at in the big green egg? 

I've been using a baking steel for a while now and that made a huge improvement in how me pizza turned out. I just got an Ooni pizza oven though and am really excited to see where that can help me take things. 

Also, totally agree on the 72 hour cold ferment. The exact same recipe cold fermented for 24 hours vs 72 hours turns out so much better when given more time. 

Thanks!

For NY-style pies, I run it at 500 or so - Neapolitan pies are 750 or thereabouts.

i love having the steel. It makes a big difference when you’re cooking multiple pizzas because they hold heat so well. On the Egg, I stay the cook with the screen on the steel, then slide it into the steel about 5 minutes in. This keeps the bottom from getting too burned while also helping to crisp it up. In the oven, I start with the screen on the top rack, then slide onto the steel on the bottom rack at about 5 minutes.

Yup...72-hour ferment is ideal. Flavor is spot on and it allows for much better/more even browning.

A pizza oven sounds awesome! Would love to see some results!

3 hours ago, Paleocene said:

Planning a weekend trip to Luray in two weeks. Haven't been for a long while.

Brewery/distillery/vineyard recommendations, if you got 'em!

Copper Fox Distillery in Sperryville is a must. There’s a brewery in the basement of a B & B called Hopkins that’s decent, and a couple others I haven’t been to (Pen Druid and Hawksbill). There are also some vineyards in the area around Old Rag that are nice if you end up hiking that way.

I’m heading down that way next week so if I check out Pen Druid or Hawksbill, I’ll let you know.

• Like 1

Meeting my best friend at Aslin Alexandria this afternoon to try the (accidental) 4-year-aged bourbon barrel stout they have on tap. We’ve had a few beers together over the last year (probably hung out 4-5 times outside), but definitely haven’t been to a bar-restaurant. Both of us are fully vaxxed at this point.

Hanging out outside without much worry on a cool spring Friday should be pretty awesome!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Meeting my best friend at Aslin Alexandria this afternoon to try the (accidental) 4-year-aged bourbon barrel stout they have on tap. We’ve had a few beers together over the last year (probably hung out 4-5 times outside), but definitely haven’t been to a bar-restaurant. Both of us are fully vaxxed at this point.

Hanging out outside without much worry on a cool spring Friday should be pretty awesome!

Sounds like a good stout...let us know how it is, and what the ABV is out of curioisity. I will likely stop at Ten Eyck on the way to the beach in about 2 hours here...supposedly they have a chocolate cherry beer on tap

6 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Sounds like a good stout...let us know how it is, and what the ABV is out of curioisity. I will likely stop at Ten Eyck on the way to the beach in about 2 hours here...supposedly they have a chocolate cherry beer on tap

It was fantastic. Really thick, not overly sweet nor oaky, and incredibly well balanced. Honestly one of the best Aslin stouts I’ve ever had, which is saying a lot given the quality of their stout/barrel program.

They say it’s 10%, but I think that’s the ABV of their base stout; though as stouts age in barrels, like spirits, their ABV tends to increase.

• Like 1

Thinking of trying a new spot next Friday when I'm off of mid-shifts. I'm debating whether to do something in town, or try a spot in Odessa. Until then, just some light eating for me. Mids destroy my appetite. :( 

Would you guys want some authentic Mexican to see, or a big juicy steak? 

Ok so the local farm where we have our CSA and get all our plants at also has a micro brewery on site. Anyways they bring in food trucks on Saturday and Sunday's. Tomorrow they are having a new truck called Pop-Up-Poutine :o We may just have to venture down there. I love Poutine as does the older Miss J. :D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Ok so the local farm where we have our CSA and get all our plants at also has a micro brewery on site. Anyways they bring in food trucks on Saturday and Sunday's. Tomorrow they are having a new truck called Pop-Up-Poutine :o We may just have to venture down there. I love Poutine as does the older Miss J. :D

I saw that truck at Linganore last weekend, but by the time i got in line, they were sold out. :-(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

I saw that truck at Linganore last weekend, but by the time i got in line, they were sold out. :-(

They will be at Mad Science in Adamstown tomorrow. AKA Thanksgiving Farms on Rt. 85. Noon -4.:D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Thinking of trying a new spot next Friday when I'm off of mid-shifts. I'm debating whether to do something in town, or try a spot in Odessa. Until then, just some light eating for me. Mids destroy my appetite. :( 

Would you guys want some authentic Mexican to see, or a big juicy steak? 

Either, but I'll lean Mex if you are taking votes lol.

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, mattie g said:

So how was Aslin, @mattie g? Mrs. V and I have had it on our list for, like, FOREVER, but still haven't made the just-over-one-mile-trip up Van Dorn Street to actually visit! A hyper-local brewery, and we still haven't hit it. I've read up on their brews numerous times, and it sounds like they typically have a great selection of stuff on hand.

On 4/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, mattie g said:

I’ve noticed Aslin has been getting some beers in the local Safeway here recently.  Always been a fan of their stuff.

tonight's dinner: rosticciana, or Tuscan grilled ribs. I dry brined them at room temperature, then grilled them for about 20 minutes, turning them every 4-5 minutes. they are dressed with a lemon vinaigrette (olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and rosemary) that is heated in the microwave to mellow the garlic. they are juicy and delicious, and like grilled pork chops on steroids, especially with the vinaigrette. (side is Brussels sprouts with sriracha and brown sugar. chipped plate because I'm keepin' it real.)

rostic1.jpg

rostic2.jpg

• Like 11

On 4/17/2021 at 6:36 PM, vastateofmind said:

So how was Aslin, @mattie g? Mrs. V and I have had it on our list for, like, FOREVER, but still haven't made the just-over-one-mile-trip up Van Dorn Street to actually visit! A hyper-local brewery, and we still haven't hit it. I've read up on their brews numerous times, and it sounds like they typically have a great selection of stuff on hand.

It was good to go back, if nothing else!

As an admitted beer geek, Aslin has been the "local" go-to for me and my buddies over the last five years or so, and we're currently members of the Mug Club. Their quality has definitely gone down in the last couple years, though it's still good to very good - just not what it once was. It's definitely worth a trip, but they have a much larger variety outdoors, where they pour from cans only. You can get beers inside, but the tap list is pretty limited.

• Thanks 1

Going to take my wife on a dinner date in Grapevine, TX on Friday at Bob's Steak & Chophouse. It's a 5 hr drive from Midland, but I want to make this a dinner date that she and I will remember forever. I'll be sure to post pictures of our wonderful night. Two more midnights to go!

• Like 3

Fresh salmon grilled on the cedar plank last night...rub some light (or dark, depending on your taste) brown sugar on each filet, top off with Wegmans or any brand cracked pepper seasoning. Grill for 13 minutes on a pre-soaked (for up to half hour) cedar plank. So simple, so good!

PXL_20210420_223855262-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.ea008d6fb01b24e71159942b67f9522c.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Fresh salmon grilled on the cedar plank last night...rub some light (or dark, depending on your taste) brown sugar on each filet, top off with Wegmans or any brand cracked pepper seasoning. Grill for 13 minutes on a pre-soaked (for up to half hour) cedar plank. So simple, so good!

Looks great! I've always wondered what the cedar actually contributes, as I've never had cedar-plank salmon. I've been wanting to do it on the BGE for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to it.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Looks great! I've always wondered what the cedar actually contributes, as I've never had cedar-plank salmon. I've been wanting to do it on the BGE for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to it.

The cedar adds a unique flavor....closest I can come to describing is slightly smoky tasting/smelling, but not overwhelmingly so.

4 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

The cedar adds a unique flavor....closest I can come to describing is slightly smoky tasting/smelling, but not overwhelmingly so.

Agreed,  the cedar plank is my go to for grilling salmon.  Great taste and the soaked plank keeps the thinner parts of the fillet from drying out. Looks delicious!

• Thanks 1

Surprisingly good barrel aged beer from Diamondback. I’m surprised at how strong the bourbon flavor is since the brew is “only” 8.6%. That’s relatively low for an imperial bourbon barrel aged but it was aged 15 months. I like it!

EEE9113B-661F-4F2C-A432-76B0FC3078A9.jpeg

• Like 3

My pizza contribution.  Ramp and pepperoni.  I'm surprised how much I love the ramps on pizza.  Was a big hit last night at the pub.

IMG_0418.jpg

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, jonjon said:

My pizza contribution.  Ramp and pepperoni.  I'm surprised how much I love the ramps on pizza.  Was a big hit last night at the pub.

IMG_0418.jpg

Man, that looks really good.  Are pizzas a permanent menu item at the brewery?

51 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Man, that looks really good.  Are pizzas a permanent menu item at the brewery?

For now we're just doing Thursday night pizzas.  Will probably add more nights as we go down the road.

• Like 2