Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2021 Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’m sure facing south with the big windows isn’t ideal for keeping that place cool in the summer sun.  First year you get one of the hottest summers and a lackluster winter... there’s always next year.

It's not too bad when the temps top out in the low 80s and dip into the upper 50s once the sun goes down. I can keep the cool air from overnight in the house all day and the temps don't go above the mid-70s inside -- bearable if the air is dry. It's the humidity that is a killer. No way to clear that from the house without AC. Also, the nights when it stayed in the upper 60s to 70s were terrible last summer.

Today is giving me Grinch flashbacks.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's not too bad when the temps top out in the low 80s and dip into the upper 50s once the sun goes down. I can keep the cool air from overnight in the house all day and the temps don't go above the mid-70s inside -- bearable if the air is dry. It's the humidity that is a killer. No way to clear that from the house without AC. Also, the nights when it stayed in the upper 60s to 70s were terrible last summer.

Today is giving me Grinch flashbacks.

Strong south wind blowing rain sideways through the base area over here.  It’s inspiring outside.

And I hear ya on the humidity.  We radiate well in summer so as soon as the sun goes behind the hill it cools off real nice along the river.  But if dews are high and it’s cloudy, that temp isn’t dropping.  Those are the only evenings I turn my AC on.  Even those 93F days in May was such a dry heat that temps would drop like 30 degrees in 2 hours and it was comfy again.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Strong south wind blowing rain sideways through the base area over here.  It’s inspiring outside.

And I hear ya on the humidity.  We radiate well in summer so as soon as the sun goes behind the hill it cools off real nice along the river.  But if dews are high and it’s cloudy, that temp isn’t dropping.  Those are the only evenings I turn my AC on.  Even those 93F days in May was such a dry heat that temps would drop like 30 degrees in 2 hours and it was comfy again.

We have a room that is almost totally underground, like a root cellar almost. It is accessed from a spiraling set of stairs from the mud room. I guess the prior owner just stored junk down there, but we had it finished as a bedroom/rumpus room deal and it's awesome in the summer. Never goes above 68 degrees no matter what is happening outside. Definitely somewhere to escape when it gets overly hot.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Upcoming weeks definitely has that look of the further North and east you are the more you are subject to skank days. West wind days will be nice just no 70s. After these two storms pass it looks pretty dry as well. Spring

Just what I'm counting on.  W MA missed some of the snows this winter but hoping west is best for spring weather.

I get it that not many give a shit about this sort of thing...

but...I see the height gradient everyone abruptly relaxing across a lot of guidance out there just beyond D6 and by 10, some 3 or 4 in the count from the subtropical latitudes to 70 N are reduced,...slackening the integrated gradient across the whole domain when that happens... I don't think that it is a geophysical coincidence that just about in tandem the height nodes pop off with those ridges at higher latitudes. 

It makes sense at a baser conceptual level - fast flows are progressive; retrograde flows - to which -NAOs are a part - tend to be slower.  In this case the relay from the fast to slow is seemingly as though cause to effect responsive - like the fast flow that presaged, caused the blocking -

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I get it that not many give a shit about this sort of thing...

but...I see the height gradient everyone abruptly relaxing across a lot of guidance out there just beyond D6 and by 10, some 3 or 4 in the count from the subtropical latitudes to 70 N are reduced,...slackening the integrated gradient across the whole domain when that happens... I don't think that it is a geophysical coincidence that just about in tandem the height nodes pop off with those ridges at higher latitudes. 

It makes sense at a baser conceptual level - fast flows are progressive; retrograde flows - to which -NAOs are a part - tend to be slower.  In this case the relay from the fast to slow is seemingly as though cause to effect responsive - like the fast flow that presaged, caused the blocking -

Yep. Wheel Of Rhea potential here.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Come to think about ... in a May 2005, 20th -30th redux taking place in early April... we're probably adding to seasonal snow totals pretty significantly - this f'n thing may not be over

Horrible period in 2005; remember my nieces graduation from Bentley and how Flocking cold and raw it was...

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

If it’s not going to snow, it’s a waste and a kick in the nuts. 

Yeah.. frankly, if this were a month ago, I'd be advising to just let it marinade... It would probably produce snows. 

We've had major snow storms this late of course ...we can't forget that... And, a potency of this -NAO is glaring. 

i just don't like the flow relaxation that flashes through the medium of the hemisphere at D7 to 10 ... that makes me wonder if this -NAO is "over ridged" out there ...it's like +4 SD dome in the operational Euro, with the surrounding medium almost neutral and that's bad conservation of mass there...

The other aspect is that relaxing flow shortens wave-lengths so...it's unclear if that happens, how this -NAO will effect our region.  yeah just saw the 18z GFS and it sort of gets us into a WNW dry seasonal flow as opposed to the EPS... fwi'not'w lol.   But there's a waving BD...  and Maine might be hosed still in that look. 

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Saturday thru next Tuesday looks great interior  with 60’s and sun. Mild days, cool nights . We take. 2nd best spring ever looks like it will continue. 

Even if it was nice I wouldn't put it above 2012 and 2010. But it's not looking too nice. But that's okay...it's still early and we got some bonus early spring warmth instead of the usual late March garbage.

Just now, dendrite said:

Even if it was nice I wouldn't put it above 2012 and 2010. But it's not looking too nice. But that's okay...it's still early and we got some bonus early spring warmth instead of the usual late March garbage.

Makes it more of a kick in the nads when you sort of regress as you get into warmer months. But, it made March go by much quicker. March is one of those months that can be miserable AF if the wx stinks.