• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Let’s get back on topic...BTC and really the whole crypto complex- knifing at the moment down 10-20%. We had the inflation print this am...followed by this. So what exactly is the thesis and don’t say ‘blockchain’.  I can’t buy things with it, it’s  not a hedge against inflation, and regression to the S&P isn’t compelling enough to be viewed as an uncorrelated asset.

• Like 1

Let’s get back on topic...BTC and really the whole crypto complex- knifing at the moment down 10-20%. We had the inflation print this am...followed by this. So what exactly is the thesis and don’t say ‘blockchain’.  I can’t buy things with it, it’s  not a hedge against inflation, and regression to the S&P isn’t compelling enough to be viewed as an uncorrelated asset.

Musk bailed on crypts

Musk bailed on crypts

I certainly don't let Boomers off the hook. They raised the Millennials. The Boomers were handed the keys to America in the form of a brand new Corvette in perfect running condition and then proceeded to wrap it around a tree and then turn into greedy capitalists.

More young people need a hard edge out there, IMO.

The number 1 way to have success is just be hungry and be willing to step on other slower people to get what you want.

You hear your boss complaining that some other guy is dropping the ball? Walk into his office and tell him you have seen the same thing and will take on the responsibility and get it done. 

Free tip for the day. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Don't hate the player, hate the game. I hope every post of mine you read motivates you to get in shape, get some skills, and move up. Beat me at my own game. Grind me into dust and laugh at me.

That thought process sent every single kid to college for two or three decades and here we are.  Now today’s conversation has come full circle and we can move back to talking about coins :lol:.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That thought process sent every single kid to college for two or three decades and here we are.  Now today’s conversation has come full circle and we can move back to talking about coins :lol:.

I guess, if mom and dad were dummies who didn't know how to explain earning potential versus school debt accumulation on a simple graph.

Just drifting through life microdosing on hallucinogenic mushrooms and consuming edibles while grinding your teeth about the man screwing you is one option.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, wokeupthisam said:

Generation has nothing to do with it.  Ideas and statements do.  Taking responsibility for one's own views and statements, rather than attributing critique to a false generalization, is liberating and highly beneficial to learning.

You’re right. It’s has nothing to do with generations. It has to do with world view. Dot-rat and a few others are leftist, and Phin, myself and others are conservative and somewhat libertarian. It’s been that way since 1789. Adams and Hamilton would love the current political climate. Jefferson as an anti federalist would be appalled. Nothing new here. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

Certainly no crypto expert but I think participating in an effectively mercantilist ecomony holds appeal for some.  The incremental difficulty with mining bitcoins puts a limit on the number of coins that can be in existence, essentially finite for all practical purposes.  And for obvious reasons it pays to be in early when the coins are easier to come by.  The backdrop of whirring printing presses, huge national debt, and TBTF stokes it IMO.

25 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

The 40’s through the 60’s working class did well because of the end of WWII and the economic boom of people coming home and building modern society we know today. That was in spite of taxes. And for the record, nobody paid those high rates, and I mean nobody. There were so many deductions the actual tax rate was nowhere near 70%. 

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Have you considered that the 1940s through 1960s were a very unique time where the US was literally rebuilding Europe and Asia?

we were always destined for an economic boom post-ww2, but new deal policies were the reason workers enjoyed wage growth that was commensurate with productivity and economic growth.  that linkage completely broke around the early 1980s, where suddenly productivity gains were all going to the ownership class.  the elites in the ownership class hated the new deal policies.  there were very few uber-rich people back then -- especially in comparison to today.

reaganites tend to view the economy purely in terms of gdp, but not who actually benefits from economic growth.  there's a reason why suicides and opioid overdoses have increased every year for the past twenty years -- even during years where we had high gdp.  

the good news is that reaganism is pretty much dead.  but there are still zombie reaganites that are holding on.

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Yeah, leveraging will be the undoing of it all.

Look at the quick flash crash in crypto’s tonight. Elon makes some comments, the entire market heads down, then the whales flash crash it to liquidate all the idiots who were 10x leveraged long.

Newbies panic sell, stops get triggered And then the whales come back in (probably including Elon) and scoop up all the bargains for the next run.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

6 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

we were always destined for an economic boom post-ww2, but new deal policies were the reason workers enjoyed wage growth that was commensurate with productivity and economic growth.  that linkage completely broke around the early 1980s, where suddenly productivity gains were all going to the ownership class.  the elites in the ownership class hated the new deal policies.  there were very few uber-rich people back then -- especially in comparison to today.

reaganites tend to view the economy purely in terms of gdp, but not who actually benefits from economic growth.  there's a reason why suicides and opioid overdoses have increased every year for the past twenty years -- even during years where we had high gdp.  

the good news is that reaganism is pretty much dead.  but there are still zombie reaganites that are holding on.

I’m assuming you’re a fan of modern monetary policy.

3 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

I agree that we shouldn't have mega-billionaires who can literally control our speech and subvert our power as consumers in a democratic society. It's totally out of control. Bring out the guillotines for these guys for all I care. Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey should not be allowed to decide if people have a voice online.

Recent history has shown, however, that these revanchist ideas end up hitting the middle class small businesses instead of the big guys, who can simply write off massive "losses" to dodge taxes and shift production overseas.

If liberals are ready to take on all big business, even those big businesses who are currently attacking the right wing, I am all for it. Let's do it.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Love how everything is staring to come together

He's such a likeable main character that evolves over time, you really start to pull for him... not an asshole, always trying to do the right thing, respectful, good disposition but also lives on the fringes of society and ethics.  Just gets better as it goes on, which is what makes it a great series.

41 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Lol, especially now that Elon has managed to crash everything.

I was behind facetious...but seriously how do people pedaling crypto as a way forward sleep at night after seeing the price action today/tonight. I don’t agree with Phin much, but he’s right...don’t believe anything anyone says publicly...especially hedge fund managers and apparently as in this case, snake oil salesmen as well.

i think it’s much more about ESG and qualification for those indexes...big money there and if Tesla was excluded...yikes. Especially for that house of cards.

• Like 2