• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major LES Events- Feb 5-?

We have had several bouts of WNW over the last couple years but more emphasis is usually put on west then North..Like Fulton/granby/volney all need a WNW..So does the mohawk valley if the wind blows hard enough..

Just like I miss events to my north that are considered"westerly", comes down to the exact degree.. Lake effect is truly a needle in a haystack unless you live in N Redfield lol

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

We have had several bouts of WNW over the last couple years but more emphasis is usually put on west then North..Like Fulton/granby/volney all need a WNW..So does the mohawk valley if the wind blows hard enough..

Just like I miss events to my north that are considered"westerly", comes down to the exact degree.. Lake effect is truly a needle in a haystack unless you live in N Redfield lol

I would love to buy a small place up that way for weekend retreats.  I think we all discussed this in the past.  Still a thought i have rattling around. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Late for this but been meaning to jot down some post-event thoughts on the WNY lake effect storm last weekend. We spend so much time looking ahead sometimes I like to hit rewind...

* Models started showing a sizable event at least 5 days in advance. It held...so good to know that model dreams sometimes do come true. 
* The idea for several days leading to the event was for a predominant SW/WSW flow event off Erie. That changed to more of a WSW event the day or so before, causing widespread panic for the northtowns crew. 
* One thing on modeling that didn’t change was fairly deep low pressure over Lake Superior that either held it’s ground or moved slowly N/NE. This is a classic position for BUF and points north lake effect post arctic cold FROPA. It ultimately played out that way and BUF points north were “banded” for 8+ hours. 
*. Patience is key in lake effect events but it’s hard...Lots of bust posts on Saturday morning from the immediate BUF crew when the event was really just starting. 
* Strong winds limiting accumulations is real. As good as the event was the snow came in pulses, switching from blinding 3”+/hour to an inch or less per several times. This kept accumulations in check but did provide the “wow” factor when vis dropped to zero (as so nicely documented by BUF Weather. 
* 3-4”/ hour snow is a thing of beauty...duh. 

Memorable event for the BUF northtowns!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Late for this but been meaning to jot down some post-event thoughts on the WNY lake effect storm last weekend. We spend so much time looking ahead sometimes I like to hit rewind...

* Models started showing a sizable event at least 5 days in advance. It held...so good to know that model dreams sometimes do come true. 
* The idea for several days leading to the event was for a predominant SW/WSW flow event off Erie. That changed to more of a WSW event the day or so before, causing widespread panic for the northtowns crew. 
* One thing on modeling that didn’t change was fairly deep low pressure over Lake Superior that either held it’s ground or moved slowly N/NE. This is a classic position for BUF and points north lake effect post arctic cold FROPA. It ultimately played out that way and BUF points north were “banded” for 8+ hours. 
*. Patience is key in lake effect events but it’s hard...Lots of bust posts on Saturday morning from the immediate BUF crew when the event was really just starting. 
* Strong winds limiting accumulations is real. As good as the event was the snow came in pulses, switching from blinding 3”+/hour to an inch or less per several times. This kept accumulations in check but did provide the “wow” factor when vis dropped to zero (as so nicely documented by BUF Weather. 
* 3-4”/ hour snow is a thing of beauty...duh. 

Memorable event for the BUF northtowns!

Good stuff Buffalo! Can't wait for next LES already only 9 months away. ^_^

• Sad 1