• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 31-February 2, 2021 Major Winter Storm Observations

Ralph Wiggum

Near Langhorne, Newtown border.  Hasn't snowed here since 11 PM last night.   Sleet at times, and now even freezing rain.  Temp up to 31.   Not looking good here.  Bordering on a bust.  About 5.5 inches here, including sleet.   On a side note, folks are calling out Cecily Tyson 6ABC on twitter  Her response, how about you just wait until the storms over, before telling me I am wrong.    That was this morning.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Prairie Dog said:

Near Langhorne, Newtown border.  Hasn't snowed here since 11 PM last night.   Sleet at times, and now even freezing rain.  Temp up to 31.   Not looking good here.  Bordering on a bust.  About 5.5 inches here, including sleet.   On a side note, folks are calling out Cecily Tyson 6ABC on twitter  Her response, how about you just wait until the storms over, before telling me I am wrong.    That was this morning.  

Mike got married again?

Cecily Tynan

• Haha 3

Just now, MPotter_WX said:

15.4” in Hellertown. 0.1 mile visibility. Doesn’t get better than this! That CC is scaring me. Why is it so close to the LV?!

Not gonna lie, it’s making me a little nervous, especially for areas south of 22. That thing is racing north. You’d think it would stop eventually as the precip shield starts to pivot...

Hope isn't TOTALLY lost. Radar shows right now that the winds still have a major easterly component. Not warm, but not cold. As the low tracks up NE, winds will assume a more classical NE flow regime...that should force the line south. Flakes starting to fall again now 3 NW of CC. 

Edit: now mostly snow.

• Like 1

Wow this gonna be a top 3 bust all time for my location near Trenton. At least I’ve learned NEVER to trust a 10-1 snow map again. I looked at the snow depth maps last night and they had this writing on the wall but I didn’t see anyone on these forums posting the maps. If there’s a warm layer nearby it will find a way to muck things up. Also, Miller Bs rarely work out for I-95 and east. And lately, if your on the border of a dry slot, expand the dry slot because subsidence will make areas on the edge lose out every time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Prairie Dog said:

He would probably be better than her at predicting weather,   Damn spell check

I think the majority of Philly Mets screwed up the amount of sleet we would receive. Not over and it will change to snow at some point...perhaps few/several inches in/around Philly.

29F Sleet/snow mix

Semantics but this was/is a blizzard for the Lehigh Valley IMO.  Although not sustained 35+ it's an 8-9 hr duration of consistently gusting 35+ and a combination of heavy falling and ground blown snow.  Total whiteout conditions at many points throughout the day.

Anecdotally..the stop sign got ripped off the post in my front yard and my patio furniture is spread across the back yard.  And the icing on the cake...this band coming through now might be the heaviest snow I've ever seen.  Definitely one I hope I never forget.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prairie Dog said:

The potential is there, and we have seen it, for some heavy bands to move back over the area from NW --> SE as the low moves away to the NE and if that movement is "slow", someone can get under a deathband with the pivot.  At that point, it would be pulling colder air from further north over land vs pulling stuff in off the ocean with water temps in the 40s/50s or more (below pic from yesterday's readings).

ssts-natlanti.cf-jan312021-02012021.gif

• Thanks 2