joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So much worry and consternation from posters today. Hate it

And it baffles the mind for me - 

It is coherent and obvious that there is an utter lack of deterministic/forecast verification value inherent in this chaotic and weird pattern anomaly ( an anomaly that is really Hemispheric/planetary in scale frankly - ) ...

Yet, the new run comes out = consternation ? 

Y'allz be persecutin' yo asses

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And it baffles the mind for me - 

It is coherent and obvious that there is an utter lack of deterministic/forecast verification value inherent in this chaotic and weird pattern anomaly ( that is really Hemispheric/planetary in scale frankly - ) ...

Yet, the new run comes out = consternation - 

People want snow...we have no idea if it will snow and won't for a while=consternation.

Is it that complicated?

16 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

LES stream on roids into Windsor Locks?

Streaming right into my fanny 

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm not likely very factorable - never zero, of course... but just not weighted heavily enough to be substantial in the integration of all forces guiding the outcomes ..

Like, the last 2,000 years of isolated fossil fuel profligate consumption in combustion and the conversion of it's exhaust into atmospheric gaseous and aerosol fluxing - now THAT is a major player ... ;)   

I think though the s/w or low has to like directly pass over one of the Lakes, no? I remember we had a few clippers that went over the Lakes perfectly and it aided quite a bit in moisture availability. There was one...I think late 2000's I think this was a huge factor and we ended up getting smoked.

11 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s been rare lately for a big lake freeze.   We’re heading to Chicago today...should get there by tomorrow evening.   Looks wintry there as well for the next few weeks.

I hope so for your sake! But I think I actually saw a tweet last night...the percentage of lakes frozen over (Great Lakes) and snow depth across the country is very abnormally low. The snow depth map was putrid. 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Streaming right into my fanny 

I think though the s/w or low has to like directly pass over one of the Lakes, no? I remember we had a few clippers that went over the Lakes perfectly and it aided quite a bit in moisture availability. There was one...I think late 2000's I think this was a huge factor and we ended up getting smoked.

I hope so for your sake! But I think I actually saw a tweet last night...the percentage of lakes frozen over (Great Lakes) and snow depth across the country is very abnormally low. The snow depth map was putrid. 

Never heard of that.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Never heard of that.

I'm pretty certain it is a thing. I think though it goes unnoticed because our greatest moisture sources are obviously the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, but in situations where you get a system traversing over one of the Great Lakes...it could certainly supply it with a "moisture boost". 

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

People want snow...we have no idea if it will snow and won't for a whole=consternation.

Is it that complicated?

mm... If it were all just about 'snow' ?  Of course it wouldn't be complicated.  It's more than that - it's missing an endorphin fix - sorry.  Absolutely it is.. 

Similar to that psychotropic e-addiction expose' 60 minutes did earlier last year, where there's a smoldering epidemic in how modernity/technology's influenced humanity. And it was done deliberately by the earlier Internet sciences..   Fascinating story and how you can see evidences it everywhere ... 'blue light' pop and art drives reaction, which is satisfactorily addictive.   

The flavor of all that, in this social media, is the 'rush' from a big storm depiction in the models, and the cinema of it therein -

Snow is hoped?  absolutely...of course dude. That evades what is probably more "problematic" - although there are worse concerns facing the world, true LOL - about this yo-yoing psycho-babble bs that goes on based on a single output cycles like that which is undeniable for those of us who have long years of experience.  I mean of course winter and the underpinning interests therein are certainly integral in that... But it's patently obvious, there's more than just 'snow' about the whole 'drug' when exposure to  guidance when things are parlaying more dystopic - beating a dead horse. 

Forget all that ... even if one's sole and singular intent for this is snow snow snow...?  It doesn't invalidate the point:  there's no reason to = consternation over model runs and allowing a single positive return guide elation, vs a negative cycle output guiding one to despair.   That is not a healthy preoccupation - I don't care what anyone says. 

• Weenie 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

I'm pretty certain it is a thing. I think though it goes unnoticed because our greatest moisture sources are obviously the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, but in situations where you get a system traversing over one of the Great Lakes...it could certainly supply it with a "moisture boost". 

Sounds like chapter 3 in Awakening Dawn: The Lakes are Hungry

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mm... If it were all just about 'snow' ?  Of course it wouldn't be complicated.  It's more than that - it's missing an endorphin fix - sorry.  Absolutely it is.. 

Similar to that psychotropic e-addiction expose' 60 minutes did earlier last year, where there's a smoldering epidemic in how modernity/technology's influenced humanity. And it was done deliberately by the earlier Internet sciences..   Fascinating story and how you can see evidences it everywhere ... 'blue light' pop and art drives reaction, which is satisfactorily addictive.   

The flavor of all that, in this social media, is the 'rush' from a big storm depiction in the models, and the cinema of it therein -

Snow is hoped?  absolutely...of course dude. That evades what is probably more "problematic" - although there are worse concerns facing the world, true LOL - about this yo-yoing psycho-babble bs that goes on based on a single output cycles like that which is undeniable for those of us who have long years of experience.  I mean of course winter and the underpinning interests therein are certainly integral in that... But it's patently obvious, there's more than just 'snow' about the whole 'drug' when exposure to  guidance when things are parlaying more dystopic - beating a dead horse. 

I loved snow before social media and model output, but of course you get excited when you see a BECS on the models, if you don't you should go see a Dr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Sounds like chapter 3 in Awakening Dawn: The Lakes are Hungry

"I was relaxing in my hammock at my newly purchased home on the Tug hill Plateau. All of a sudden the sky became filled with a blanket of white and dry clouds. Boom, it was puking snow like I had never seen. Before I could escape the hammock the snow was up to my knees. I ran inside to my computer, threw up the GFS, and saw this monster shortwave traversing Lake Eerie. Lake Eerie was NOT frozen, the delta T was through the roof. This lake was giving this monster shortwave a great meal of moisture and it was dumping it's load on me".

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Snow is hoped?  absolutely...of course dude. That evades what is probably more "problematic" - although there are worse concerns facing the world, true LOL - about this yo-yoing psycho-babble bs that goes on based on a single output cycles like that which is undeniable for those of us who have long years of experience.  I mean of course winter and the underpinning interests therein are certainly integral in that... But it's patently obvious, there's more than just 'snow' about the whole 'drug' when exposure to  guidance when things are parlaying more dystopic - beating a dead horse

Forget all that ... even if one's sole and singular intent for this is snow snow snow...?  It doesn't invalidate the point:  there's no reason to = consternation over model runs and allowing a single positive return guide elation, vs a negative cycle output guiding one to despair.   That is not a healthy preoccupation - I don't care what anyone says. 

Heh...

Beating+the+dead+horse.jpg

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If one week from today we are looking out our collective windows at green (not brown this winter for some reason) grass , I think most folks are going to pack it in and move onto things that make them happy 

Regardless if there is snow or no snow shouldn't people already  be doing things that they enjoy doing?  I'm not going to dwell on the weather because I have no control over the weather. I'd much prefer it to be a cold and snowy winter but it has not been. I had very low expectations for this winter. 

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

TPV shreds and squashes every storm on the 12z runs.  We are left with  a cold and dry pattern with snow showers.

Not sure I'd use "cold" to describe the pattern. It's more like moderated junk or just meh. Outside of some brief cold shots there doesn't look to be any true cold and certainly nothing sustaining. 

• Like 1