Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

3 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

what on earth is the euro parallel. is it a beta thing? i swear sometimes with these new models i feel like im being punked

https://confluence.ecmwf.int/display/FCST/Implementation+of+IFS+Cycle+47r2

https://confluence.ecmwf.int/display/FCST/2020/10/15/News+on+the+next+model+upgrade+-+IFS+cycle+47r2  

Should be fully implemented later this year

2 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

what on earth is the euro parallel. is it a beta thing? i swear sometimes with these new models i feel like im being punked

Should be just the next version of the Euro Operational. It’s the new and improved version as long as it keeps pumping out snow maps like those above 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Weenie 3

4 minutes ago, Wow said:

Ok, appreciate the context. I had an inkling that it was this, but "hey, here's a new euro. it's better than the current euro. and it shows a generationally winter weather event" feels too good to be true. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Ok, appreciate the context. I had an inkling that it was this, but "hey, here's a new euro. it's better than the current euro. and it shows a generationally winter weather event" feels too good to be true. 

This one makes coffee too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ClemsonTiger said:

With the potential for ice accumulations... and I know it’s a long way out... what do we see for potential wind conditions on the 14th and 15th?

Yeah, long way out, but at the moment, the setup would favor modest surface low pressure strength, so naturally, weak to moderate winds instead of heavy

GFS stepped back some from the 6z craphole.. It has a problem wanting to wrap up the PV too far west .. need to see it more elongated and building closer to the 50/50 benchmark like the Euro and the previous GFS runs (ala the glorious 2/3 18z run).  The Euro actually looks close to that run..

• Like 1

Just now, Wow said:

GFS stepped back some from the 6z craphole.. It has a problem wanting to wrap up the PV too far west .. need to see it more elongated and building closer to the 50/50 benchmark like the Euro and the previous GFS runs (ala the glorious 2/3 18z run).  The Euro actually looks close to that run..

The only thing that bothers me with the gfs (at present) is it's more or less consistent progging of rain in NC.  Cannot ignore that completely.  Has some support from Icon and the UKMET (144hr) last night

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, griteater said:

After the Thu-Fri rainstorm, the GFS ain't playing with the cold...drops the TPV down into the Great Lakes and has a very tall ridge up thru Alaska

Grit, do you see a chance developing (blending everything we know now) for basically a wet frontal passage system (mostly all rain) with the hope (not certain) of a 2nd system coming in to really drop the wintery stuff in NC (outside the mtns because they will do well regardless)

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

Grit, do you see a chance developing (blending everything we know now) for basically a wet frontal passage system (mostly all rain) with the hope (not certain) of a 2nd system coming in to really drop the wintery stuff in NC (outside the mtns because they will do well regardless)

12z GFS/CMC/UKMet all have that look of late week rain storm, then cold (UKMet only out to 144 shows the rainstorm setup, don't know afterward)...let's see what the Ensembles and Euro show

8 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Those of yall hyperventilating over the OP GFS can be reassured that the GEFS evolution of this event is nothing like the OP. 

GEFS is way too wind-shield wipery for my taste, will stick with the euro ens, but verbatim it's telling me to buy a portable phone charger and make sure all the heavy blankets are clean

Just now, ILMRoss said:

GEFS is way too wind-shield wipery for my taste, will stick with the euro ens, but verbatim it's telling me to buy a portable phone charger and make sure all the heavy blankets are clean

You are right about that on all counts. 

6 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

You should charge for the therapy 

I'll setup a therapy venmo.