Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

41 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

People have to realize that maybe this isn’t a sleet or snow event but the extracted data on BUFKIT shows Greensboro very close to a n ice storm disaster at 12z. What do we know about ice events? They almost always trend colder. 

Ain’t nobody got time for ice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullCityWx said:

People have to realize that maybe this isn’t a sleet or snow event but the extracted data on BUFKIT shows Greensboro very close to a n ice storm disaster at 12z. What do we know about ice events? They almost always trend colder. 

I’d love to track a big time Ice storm atleast it’s winter WX

• Like 3

It seems to me that the colder the air to our north, the more likely it is to drain down the east side of the mountains.  Above average cold air doesn''t really get the job done unless the high is ideally centered roughly over NY.  

Odds are improving that we might get one of both of those later next week.

TW

39 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The CMC and CMC ensemble at 160 is glaringly different too.  It’s odd that the only Op run consistently pushing the cold air east is the GFS but all the ensembles are doing it 

Looking to see if these LR models align more to eventual reality around the 4 day mark.  So far your theory for this year's winter and LR model performance seems to be spot on

47 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

You really need a dry airmass in place for models to be underdone, I think. The events this year haven’t had that.  

Yeah it's a different ballgame if we can just get the cold TPV to drop down.  Large area of -20 deg C temperatures at 850mb (pink contour) in bottom right image...with -30 deg C contour as well (purple)...on GFS at day 6-7.

Feb-6-GFS-Temps.gif

• Like 2

On the GEFS, the current storm at hr66 (just east of Novia Scotia at the beginning of the loop), deepens in the North Atlantic and helps to build ridging back into Greenland at the end of the run.  Another retrograding -NAO block?
Feb-6-NAO-GEFS.gif&key=37f9df2a02ed93ff882e074b23cfd593cd6e25de60c127b7468223afcaaeebcf
Also, look VERRRRRY carefully at the last 2 frames, ridging starts to rebuild in the PAC as soon as the block starts to retrograde

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk