Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

Just now, JC-CT said:

I'm not going to speak for Will, I'm not that dumb lol. There is some blocking for sure, but it's not a classic NAO. I think the numerical forecasts are spitting it out as neutral overall. 

Just saying what Will said. There is blocking or we wouldn’t be here at this moment.  Why do You think this thing isn’t running into Buffalo?  Thanks for the replies, but BOX’s idea of no blocking is not sound in that regard.  

NAO on cpc calf is like -1 for the event. It’s not your massive -3 SD block from 2010 or 2011 but it’s definitely a -NAO. 

The 50/50 low is exceptionally strong so that sort of make the block “act” stronger than it really is on a temporary basis. 

It’s not creating a traffic jam slowing the flow down to a crawl though. The 50/50 low is still moving and the storm steadily moves out instead of rotting for 36 hours. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

NAO on cpc calf is like -1 for the event. It’s not your massive -3 SD block from 2010 or 2011 but it’s definitely a -NAO. 

The 50/50 low is exceptionally strong so that sort of make the block “act” stronger than it really is on a temporary basis. 

It’s not creating a traffic jam slowing the slow down to a crawl though. The 50/50 low is still moving and the storm steadily moves out instead of rotting for 36 hours. 

Exactly.  But to say no blocking so this is why they are leery is misleading.  They Should have explained it better imo. 

8 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Write them a letter. They were explaining why this isn't a slowing down system

I think I more than made my point.  I wouldn’t waste time writing them a letter. As Berg, Scott and Will just said what I was saying.  If it acts as a block..it’s a block. Without the blocking..this is a cutter for sure. So the blocking(whatever the source, or combination of sources), its doing its job.

That’s my only point. so to say no blocking was not correct. And I, or anybody here never said this thing stalls out due to a monster -NAO.  But the blocking is there. 

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Amazing how different the GFS and GEFS are from the other guidance. Don’t want to totally toss guidance out at 4-4.5 days out, but it’s hard to think they are right. 

I think it is instructive that the whole evolution is not just sensitive to the confluence to my north, but also the initial strength of the shortwave. The GFS/GEFS are just flatter/weaker with the wave. Otherwise the overall pattern looks pretty similar.

• Like 2

Just now, WinterWolf said:

I think I more than made my point.  I wouldn’t waste time writing them a letter. As Berg, Scott and Will just said what I was saying.  If it acts as a block..it’s a block. Without the blocking..this is a cutter for sure. So the blocking(whatever the source, or combination of sources, its doing its job.

That’s my only point. so to say no blocking was not correct. And I, or anybody here never said this thing stalls out due to a monster -NAO.  But the blocking is there. 

Jimmy did say that yesterday. 

• Haha 1

As it looks now, I'm glad I'm not at Pit2.   However, there's many a time that I was living there that things were showing south and by time,Cool Spruce and I were worried whether the mix line would reach Route 1 (he'd typically mix more than I).

In any case, this is one of those systems that has me thinking of that.  Especially this far out.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Amazing how different the GFS and GEFS are from the other guidance. Don’t want to totally toss guidance out at 4-4.5 days out, but it’s hard to think they are right. 

They look like the opposite of what the Euro showed at a similar time frame for the last storm.  As we know the Euro was terrible with its server over amped and NW bias.  There are many reasons why the GFS makes sense, collapsing PNA, possibility of a weaker S/W, stronger confluence etc... after last weeks Euro debacle, I would be adjusting its output by 100 miles south east...

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

6z euro maps anyone?

06z only goes out to 90 hours. But it looks like 00z at that point, maybe a hair slower as Chris mentioned many posts back. The 06z EPS is coming now out and we’ll be able to see the storm as those go out to 144. 

While not a classic blocking pattern, the 50/50 low that’s currently traversing over the southern tier states, is modeled to blow up over Labrador to a sub 940mb low and there is just enough rigging over Greenland.  This provides confluence over the northeast, preventing our modeled storm from cutting up the st Lawrence river.  I feel the gfs is still struggling with this set up to some degree and has not been as consistent as other modeling. I’d still lean on the ensembles and treat each op run as another ensemble member.  I believe 00z tonight we should have the shortwave fully sampled but will rely on others for confirmation.  We shall see a narrowing at that point of general track.  I feel pretty confident in a widespread 6”+ snowfall with potential for double that if Euro model is more accurate.

• Like 4

Just now, qg_omega said:

They look like the opposite of what the Euro showed at a similar time frame for the last storm.  As we know the Euro was terrible with its server over amped and NW bias.  There are many reasons why the GFS makes sense, collapsing PNA, possibility of a weaker S/W, stronger confluence etc... after last weeks Euro debacle, I would be adjusting its output by 100 miles south east...

Euro was an outlier last storm, it is not this time. The GFS suite is now the outlier (except the new parallel which is quite amped). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Split that distance and we are talking, ha.  There’s just enough completely jacked ECM individual ensembles with like widespread 1”+ NNE to keep an eye on it north of RT 2.

And god knows you’ll find a way to get some far NW deformation band followed by upslope and then 4 inches of powder from a moose fart.

but it seems there is a real chance for further north action.  I have 5 inches as my over under right now.