Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

9 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Do people have reasons to think the storm will tick north or is it just hopefulness? Like what are the synoptic features that would suggest this might come north?

Vortmax is coming in pretty far west. Even compared to previous storms that got crunched for BOS like Dec 20-21, 2009 or Jan 2016. Often the models underestimate latent heat release to the east of them which is why ticks north on huge systems are somewhat common. They can be offset by huge blocks but a lot of the confluence on these past storms (with further east vort maxes) was significantly more than the current threat we’re seeing. 

So add it up and I’d favor more bumps north than the other way around. Most of the spread on ensembles is to the north too which is suggesting that there’s more room for small initialization errors being corrected to produce more northerly results. 

Forecasting a big probability game. It’s maybe something like 50% it trends north, 30% chance it roughly stays the same, and 20% it trends south. You can’t ignore the 20%. 1 out of 5 happens plenty of times. But you will pay more attention to the 50%. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

. It’s maybe something like 50% it trends north, 30% chance it roughly stays the same, and 20% it trends south. You can’t ignore the 20%. 1 out of 5 happens plenty of times. But you will pay more attention to the 50%. 

I believe DIT had odds of 100/0/0 respectively. 

We shall do the standard ORH/DIT blend 99/1

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Vortmax is coming in pretty far west. Even compared to previous storms that got crunched for BOS like Dec 20-21, 2009 or Jan 2016. Often the models underestimate latent heat release to the east of them which is why ticks north on huge systems are somewhat common. They can be offset by huge blocks but a lot of the confluence on these past storms (with further east vort maxes) was significantly more than the current threat we’re seeing. 

So add it up and I’d favor more bumps north than the other way around. Most of the spread on ensembles is to the north too which is suggesting that there’s more room for small initialization errors being corrected to produce more northerly results. 

Forecasting a big probability game. It’s maybe something like 50% it trends north, 30% chance it roughly stays the same, and 20% it trends south. You can’t ignore the 20%. 1 out of 5 happens plenty of times. But you will pay more attention to the 50%. 

Thanks for the write-up. when you say the vortmax is pretty far west, i assume you mean on the models and not as observed right? 

38 minutes ago, Greg said:

A little Surprised their starting to do that when models can change over night. Not to mention the GFS knowing its drier bias.

None of the ones I saw have an actual map with accumulations yet. Just probability/percentage chance maps for a plowable snow.

Forecast accumulation maps will start to come out tomorrow afternoon for the local stations I believe.

5 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Thanks for the write-up. when you say the vortmax is pretty far west, i assume you mean on the models and not as observed right? 

Correct. It’s not actually in position in the middle of the country yet. It is still offshore. A chunk of it comes onshore tonight and then most of the rest will be on shore by 12z run tomorrow. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

Last winter was my first in RI, and it was a big disappointment. We had one decent storm in early December (10"), but the rest of the season was completely forgettable, and afterwards the only thing I really enjoyed was my ski trips to NNE, which did get some good storms.

I'm much more hopeful for this winter.

Nice to see more Rhode Islander’s on the forum. We can all ensure the pain of the snow hole together. LOL...

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Do people have reasons to think the storm will tick north or is it just hopefulness? Like what are the synoptic features that would suggest this might come north?

Latent heat release from storms originating from the south typically will have a northward correction as date draws closer.  Normally once we’re within 2-3 days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Should have read rest of thread before posting.  Lol.  Nicely put.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

We needed to see 96h for the qpf Queens. Lol. That was stronger than 12z there aloft. 

Prob gets pretty good snows over border into NH/S VT that run. 

LoL I was waiting for the dam panel to advanced and forgot it stopped at hr 90. I’m definitely glad it did not move south.

• Haha 1