• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    acibarich
    Newest Member
    acibarich

Upstate/Eastern New York

7 minutes ago, Stash said:

Things look good for at least a moderate snowfall out this way, but there are oddly few of us in ENY on here.  Meaning east of Utica, and in the Albany-Glens Falls corridor.   I think I remember there being more of us in the old Eastern US weather board.  There's little point in celebrating alone, lol.  ALB, Saratoga, and the eastern Mohawk Valley down to BGM look to do OK, as far as Upstate is concerned.  Maybe areas up to the Thruway corridor can hopefully get something decent out of it too.

What happened to Logan?

Just now, Polarbear said:

What happened to Logan?

I've seen him around occasionally.  Maybe in the New England forum.  I also think a few folks from here may have migrated to another board, so he might be there too.

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I think the biggest snowstorm I've experienced during my time in Upstate New York was in November 2018 when we had something like a 10 inch snowstorm in Redfield. Pretty lame.

Yeah that's pretty bad. That likely changes this year, sometime in January. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I think the biggest snowstorm I've experienced during my time in Upstate New York was in November 2018 when we had something like a 10 inch snowstorm in Redfield. Pretty lame.

We have had some good ones although one of the downsides of living here is memory gets swamped by the barrage of middling events and lake effect, which sometimes make a prolonged 2 or 3 day storm/event.  It all sort of blends together.  I'd have to look at my Cocorahs records.

Forecast of 2-3" here by NWS is pretty much what I was thinking here a couple days ago. Syracuse proper may squeeze out a few more inches.

• Like 1

Bro, since you moved into to he area to the weather has progressively gone down hill, !

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

We have had some good ones although one of the downsides of living here is memory gets swamped by the barrage of middling events and lake effect, which sometimes make a prolonged 2 or 3 day storm/event.  It all sort of blends together.  I'd have to look at my Cocorahs records.

Forecast of 2-3" here by NWS is pretty much what I was thinking here a couple days ago. Syracuse proper may squeeze out a few more inches.

I'd love to be not on "the line" for once... haha

Just now, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Bro, since you moved into to he area to the weather has progressively gone down hill, emoji38.pngemoji23.png!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I warned you guys...it's the legend of my weather curse. :P When I moved to West Michigan, they were breaking "warmest ever" records as well. lol

Climate Change and me make one powerful team.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Stash said:

Things look good for at least a moderate snowfall out this way, but there are oddly few of us in ENY on here.  Meaning east of Utica, and in the Albany-Glens Falls corridor.   I think I remember there being more of us in the old Eastern US weather board.  There's little point in celebrating alone, lol.  ALB, Saratoga, and the eastern Mohawk Valley down to BGM look to do OK, as far as Upstate is concerned.  Maybe areas up to the Thruway corridor can hopefully get something decent out of it too.

I'm in eastern NY. Southern Adirondack/Great sacandaga lake region. NWS has us at 7-14. Nam and short range look really good.

32 minutes ago, Stash said:

I'm up near the Albany area for this storm...I think it will be better here than where I'd usually be, along I95 in MD! My main concern is if the secondary mid-level (~700-mb) band stays just south of ALB, and we're stuck in the subsidence zone of the circulation during the period of heaviest snow.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Down Hill because of Tug Hill. Change your username tug. :lol:

Hah! I tried, but it said I couldn't! It said it had been changed too recently.

Perhaps I'll change it to Yoursnowisdoomed!Matt 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, heavy_wx said:

I'm up near the Albany area for this storm...I think it will be better here than where I'd usually be, along I95 in MD! My main concern is if the secondary mid-level (~700-mb) band stays just south of ALB, and we're stuck in the subsidence zone of the circulation during the period of heaviest snow.

mid level warming down near your area of mid-atl is why i went lower with my snowfall estimates for KMDT and KABE in my snowfall contest predictions (still near a foot there).  I think that is shown on various NAM and Euro panels.   I'm banking on a similar effect and/or just a warming surface on easterly flow to keep NYC>LI>SNE amounts lower also.  Though i may have over did it (2-6" generally down there).  At least around my place, the dreaded "rice snow" won't be an issue as only 2-3" likely, which is basically a non-event IMBY.

I think people have talked about this before...6Z and 18Z runs seem to initialize differently from the 00Z and 12Z. I have noticed 6Z and 18Z have been more north than the 0Z and 12Z runs.

If there is ONE iota this could be under done in WNY, the current radar does not match the first panel of the GFS 6z run. The 6z has very little snowfall yet and actual radar is lit up. Maybe the first low is giving the models trouble?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

If there is ONE iota this could be under done in WNY, the current radar does not match the first panel of the GFS 6z run. The 6z has very little snowfall yet and actual radar is lit up. Maybe the first low is giving the models trouble?

All eyes on the primary low. This is where the surprises come from. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Should we make a new thread for reporting on this event, or not worthy? We can keep this one focused on upcoming events/pattern?

I think it’s worth it to separate them for nowcasting and obs, that way we can still snow shame Matt on this thread and put our paltry totals on the other!!! Win win

• Haha 2