• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

So usually we get a NW trend about 36-48 hours before these storms; followed by ticks back SE. I’m bracing for that inevitability but hoping for something different. We are hoping for a stronger storm, a primary that carries up into our area, a closer track, lake enhancement or a combo of any of them! Fingers crossed. 

6 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

So usually we get a NW trend about 36-48 hours before these storms; followed by ticks back SE. I’m bracing for that inevitability but hoping for something different. We are hoping for a stronger storm, a primary that carries up into our area, a closer track, lake enhancement or a combo of any of them! Fingers crossed. 

1 minute ago, tim123 said:

Something to note. Many times these tend move 25 to 50 miles further nw than even modeled

These two comments are about as contradictory as the models

But so is everything in the year 2020...

18 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Since when? Lol Winds almost always turn NW behind cold fronts..I get Lake effect Ahead of these passages..

No sense worrying about a day 10 prog lol

After a front...IMBY...For a few hours perhaps multibands.  We *Almost never* get anything noteworthy from the lake (again, down here) directly behind CFROPAs. Flow goes westerly down the lake axis most of the time fairly quickly or it dries out fast in an arctic airmass.  We might get scraps when the olde broom effect kicks in if a real band gets going up north and a s/w kicks it south off the lake, setting up multi bands.  That’s what I’ve seen here usually. Not a fan of relying on LES other than as mood snow.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Some models are stronger with the first low and the transfer happens later.

This is really the key and likely why the different models have different output. The 12z NAM had a stronger primary which provided more lift/precip to the west longer. My rusty thoughts are to keep an eye on the surface maps and that primary low strength. Right now the primary LP over north TX is 1010 and further north than what most models init. Could be a good sign...00z HRRR doesn't seem to init right either.

image.png.a056ce45cfdb97a396f27e8124257bac.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1