• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It perplexed all the mets on the New England forum, they didn't understand it. The banding in Southern Vermont and NH they understood, but the Binghamton banding they couldn't figure out. Hopefully some good papers will be written on it. I've never seen strong LES rates in synoptic like that outside of right along the coast or higher elevations in upslope.

Cleanup still ongoing in the Binghamton area.  Loaded dump trucks are half the vehicles driving by our office on Rte 7.  We have crews working with the City of Binghamton and with DOT day and night since we dug ourselves out on Friday.  Some side streets in Endicott hadn’t been plowed as of Saturday afternoon.  

At home we are shoveling roofs getting ready for a lot of weight to be added to this snow.  Unfortunately I think we’re going to hear about roofs collapsing on Christmas Eve.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It perplexed all the mets on the New England forum, they didn't understand it. The banding in Southern Vermont and NH they understood, but the Binghamton banding they couldn't figure out. Hopefully some good papers will be written on it. I've never seen strong LES rates in synoptic like that outside of right along the coast or higher elevations in upslope.

I have to think it might have something to do with elevation/hills?  That general area (sort of the triangle between I-90/I-81/I-88) tends to be a popular placing for banding structures upstate.  I don't think that its a classic upslope scenario but maybe it's just prime location for mid level forcing for coastal lows, combined with hills/etc.  The 700mb low was modeled (late in the game) to close off over eastern PA and proceed Northeast.  Which is where the heaviest Snowfall occurred.  The 700 and 850 mb panels day before and day of storm showed the fgen forcing pretty well but even an algorithm can't always be precise with how much qpf that produces.  So there's a bit of chaos theory involved IMO.  My unwashed thoughts anyway...

21 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Driving to long lake it seemed like a different world then WNY. It was full blown winter from near Syracuse all the way to Long lake. About a foot of snow on the ground and it snowed the entire way back yesterday with some decent rates. Every 1k feet of elevation added another 6-8" of snow. 

Oddly next week Syracuse westward will feel like full blown winter...

27 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Analogs for Fri-Sun LES event. I'd favor a Westerly flow at this moment. 

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/DFHR.php?reg=EC&fhr=F120&rundt=2020122100&map=thbCOOP72

Yeah I’m not seeing the metro analogs that I had hoped to see, but January 2014 was a pretty good storm for the metro (a blizzard warning for all of Erie County, and 12”+ up to Eggertsville and Snyder), despite a partly frozen lake. The cold was brutal, with high winds dropping the wind chill down to -20.

But it was a huge event off Ontario. Didn’t Watertown get multiple feet? I remember feeling jealous that they got much more snow off an almost identical flow as Buffalo. The Ontario band meandered as well — this one really walloped the Tug.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lake1314_stormg.html

3 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Yeah, just an inch or two will suffice.

Yep. Hell. Even if snow is falling while my two young boys are opening their gifts with Bing Crosby in I will be ecstatic!

i already got what I wanted with the Dolphins winning and eliminating the Pats and the Jets winning and losing Lawrence!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Icon would be a record les event for Buffalo. 

Looks like you guys will get something decent which is great. On the other hand all the promise of big winter weather seems to be falling apart. Hamilton is rain followed by flurries and cold air. lol watching the goalposts get pushed back every few weeks by those saying big time Nina winter on the way is pretty interesting (for the Great Lakes) 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

I feel like post frontal snows are often overdone. Need some tilt. 

that said, even 2-5” and some lingering snow falling on Christmas morning would be a welcome treat!!

Agree on this.  Most likely scenario is a driving rain for several hours with temps rising to near 50 on Thursday, followed by the front and an inch or two (maybe) for most of us.  The LES...who knows, but the usual places on generally West flow look best.  The ICON would be a disaster scenario.  I'm hoping for something like what the current NAM shows, which offers a bit of hope for an inch or two post front passage and at least a glimmer of hope for an XMas miracle.  ;)

3 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

RGEM is taking middle of the road path.  Little slower than NAM but faster than ICON...

916CAFC2-920A-48D0-AA9D-849CEA3FE936.png

I think at this point, what 72 hours out, WNY looks to be in a good spot both synoptic and Mesoscale. Numbers are impossible at this time but overall plow able snow looks likely at this point.