• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 minutes ago, tim123 said:

First call 3 to 5 inches synoptic Christmas eve into Christmas morning. 

I like this set up. These can surprise us. I’m disappointed that winds don’t line up NE. My first call is 9” for Roc and 2 feet to follow in BUF after 3” synoptic. The eastern zones are gonna initially toy with the taint 

2 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

The potential is definitely there for significant lake effect snow behind but still far too early. I’m definitely getting excited but am tempering my expectations for at least 2 more days 

The event starts late Thursday evening. It's not too far out. I agree though, lake effect we need to wait until 48 hours prior. Wednesday we should have a very good picture on it. 

• Like 2

HWO

A strengthening storm over our region on Thursday could generate a
soaking rain into Thursday evening. This rain combined with snow
melt could result in minor flooding.

Following a general accumulating snow Thursday night, significant
lake effect snow will then be possible east or northeast of Lake Erie
from Christmas Day through Saturday. While there is still some
uncertainty in the track of the storm system, there is growing
confidence that travel in at least parts of the region could be
severely impacted by what could turn out to be a significant lake
effect snow event. Any lake effect snow would be accompanied by gusty
winds as well.

4 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

image.thumb.gif.a136a7f2937cba46a7ef33b2fe122ac5.gifA little buckle in the last two frames in PA. That’s what we need for this to synoptically over perform. 

The sensible weather under that passage would be heavy rain...to heavy graupel...to heavy snow paste.  Dave, what are the 2m temps doing during this time? Flash freeze?

I remember one time where there was a strong cold frontal passage (anafrontal event) where heavy rain instantly turned to heavy snow. Was one of the coolest weather events I've witnessed.

3 minutes ago, tim123 said:

The blizzard of 99 was this type of set up. Not saying this is that at all but was general idea.

Was thinking the same, although that front was slower, more angled - we got a good 1" of rain before the passage. But, yes...this is a rare, but fun situation in the winter with lots of potential and wild transitions.

Just now, CNY_WX said:

image.thumb.png.183a22a5ba4db113a41ae75d84e3a0ed.png

Rgem 2m temperatures at 0Z Friday. Cold air advection spreading across western NY. The front is right over me. 

Thanks! Looks like the warm lakes really keep that cold air from advancing quickly. I'd imaging the temps 30ft off the deck are 2-4 degrees colder at the same time.

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

HWO

A strengthening storm over our region on Thursday could generate a
soaking rain into Thursday evening. This rain combined with snow
melt could result in minor flooding.

Following a general accumulating snow Thursday night, significant
lake effect snow will then be possible east or northeast of Lake Erie
from Christmas Day through Saturday. While there is still some
uncertainty in the track of the storm system, there is growing
confidence that travel in at least parts of the region could be
severely impacted by what could turn out to be a significant lake
effect snow event. Any lake effect snow would be accompanied by gusty
winds as well.

Damn they actually put northeast of the lakes in there...that’s a big step for KBUF 

Unless youre in a prime lake effect location, I'm not really banking on impressive snowfall totals with this Christmas system.  The pace of this thing is just unreal, especially if the GFS type scenario played out.  I can't imagine we could get more than an inch or two of snow before the precip tapers off, BUT at least it would be a white Christmas!!  As for the lake effect, that certainly looks prime but somewhat short lived with modest warm air advection starting by Saturday afternoon.  That said, with 2-3" an hour rates, 24-36 hours will more than enough time for some very hefty totals.  I'm considering driving into Buffalo to Chase a bit on Christmas seeing as I  won't be visiting anyone for this year :(      That will be a game time call but it's definitely on my radar!

In Summary, unless you're in one of those key lake effect spots, don't get your hopes up for a big dump.  Just not a good synoptic setup.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, vortmax said:

From a purely Christmas standpoint...could look really pretty scene in the morning with the snow sticking to everything... Even a couple inches. 

Agree 100% on this.  Cold and snow cover is all I want on Christmas day.   We've had some warm green ones over the last decade and it sucks.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Unless youre in a prime lake effect location, I'm not really banking on impressive snowfall totals with this Christmas system.  The pace of this thing is just unreal, especially if the GFS type scenario played out.  I can't imagine we could get more than an inch or two of snow before the precip tapers off, BUT at least it would be a white Christmas!!  As for the lake effect, that certainly looks prime but somewhat short lived with modest warm air advection starting by Saturday afternoon.  That said, with 2-3" an hour rates, 24-36 hours will more than enough time for some very hefty totals.  I'm considering driving into Buffalo to Chase a bit on Christmas seeing as I  won't be visiting anyone for this year :(      That will be a game time call but it's definitely on my radar!

In Summary, unless you're in one of those key lake effect spots, don't get your hopes up for a big dump.  Just not a good synoptic setup.   

All of my concerns listed here. But 99 was kind of similar. I really think someone does well. Multiple waves move up that front, quickly. Which is why I’m really hoping one can get some traction South of us and buckle that front. I believe we see that on GFS and at the end of RGEM. I like the possibility especially over Gennessee Valley. I’ve been wrong before (like all the time) and I’ll be wrong again but I like this set up. 6”+
The Lake Effect members are golden. This is a solid set up

• Like 1