• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I think they were just itching to issue something with how slow this winter has been so far especially with regards to lake effect: It’s the earliest I can ever remember a watch being issued. Not saying it won’t end up verifying but why rush to jump to a watch when you could realistically wait 24 hours and still have plenty of time to warn people? 

I would think they would at least want this thing to get in range of the mesos lol. 

The only reason this got posted so far in advance is because it hits on Christmas Day. That’s not the kind of surprise you want on a fairly busy travel period.  A lot of implications during a holiday.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Yes I’d feel great if I were from Hamburg to OP to WS. South Buffalo id feel okay. Here in the Northtowns I’m a little skeptical. No problem chasing a few miles to see some rippage though ;) just give us a band somewhere over Erie County even if it’s not over me directly and I’ll be happy haha. 

Im hoping to chase this in Genesee or SE Orleans county so I don’t have to drive too far. Sometimes the band is quite intense near Batavia as it pops from a little orographic lift....but that will require the remnant low and subsequent thermal trough to be especially deep to give me a true SW flow.  Nothing written in stone with such subtle nuances still not locked down.  Wyoming county is my backup chase, would probably head down 19.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I know its been discussed already but my god that is the worst radar I have ever seen in my life. Did we go back to the 1970s with that thing....?????

Can anyone actually get it to load?  It completely fails on my mobile and once in awhile i can get a couple frames to somewhat load on a desktop but overall I don't think I've seen a full loop work once yet.  How can people be ok with this?  Am I doing something wrong?

44 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Nice band north of Buffalo now, any snow out of that?

WUNIDS_map?num=12&type=N0R&mapx=400&mapy

This radar pic is a perfect example of BW earlier point about the lake bands being 5 to 10 miles north of their model. The band is refracted on the land northward where if the water wax colder the band would be further south...the bend is pretty noticeable but even more so on the WIVB weather radar.

7 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Can anyone actually get it to load?  It completely fails on my mobile and once in awhile i can get a couple frames to somewhat load on a desktop but overall I don't think I've seen a full loop work once yet.  How can people be ok with this?  Am I doing something wrong?

Only way it loads for me is starting on the national view and zooming in... SLOWLY... it’s a hot mess. You can download free radar apps that are better than that.  So many other good sites and apps, haven’t used the NWS radar in long time.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

It works on my gaming PC that I built, but this thing is a beast. Doesn't work on anything else.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I wish they had listed snowiest xmas days. Pretty sure metro hot around 20” in the early 2000s on Xmas. 

Good memory it was December 26th through the 29th and that was the 83” in west Seneca over those 4 days...that event spread the wealth from southern Niagara county to the nearby south towns with West Seneca the jackpot...I do believe KBUF broke a daily record though...BW any help?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Looking just at Christmas Day numbers are pretty low... Throw the 24th in too for a “24 hour total” and BUF had 25” in 2001 storm.

1E2DED41-A4AD-4F3E-9FE9-ADFBF8B06235.jpeg

380AF622-3CE0-4D10-B9A2-50A0D4122E20.jpeg

Ya I can remember trying to drive around in a Buffalo in 01 with little luck. Don’t want to get too excited but looks like we could get the snowiest Xmas on record. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I wish they had listed snowiest xmas days. Pretty sure metro hot around 20” in the early 2000s on Xmas. 

Record for Christmas Day is 8.4” in 2002. Sad record honestly. A definite chance to break it IMO if the band can set up in the right spot: Since 2003 the snowiest Christmas Day at BUF is a lousy 2.2” in 2017. Out of the last 16 Christmas days 12 have had either a trace or no snowfall. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Good memory it was December 26th through the 29th and that was the 83” in west Seneca over those 4 days...that event spread the wealth from southern Niagara county to the nearby south towns with West Seneca the jackpot...I do believe KBUF broke a daily record though...BW any help?

I lived in Cheektowaga for this one, epic event off both lakes.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2001-2002&event=B

• Weenie 1