• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

14 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Man, that 00z Euro is a big hit for WNY starting Christmas Eve night...I'll take this one please!

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

It’s why I’m confused the NWS is stating less snow with the euro? At least that was the depiction from the local Met this am who actually showed both the GFS and EURO runs... he said the GFS shows heavier accumulation and more moderate euro accumulation...that is not moderate by synoptic standards...well Binghamton kinda ruined that I suppose...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

It’s why I’m confused the NWS is stating less snow with the euro? At least that was the depiction from the local Met this am who actually showed both the GFS and EURO runs... he said the GFS shows heavier accumulation and more moderate euro accumulation...that is not moderate by synoptic standards...well Binghamton kinda ruined that I suppose...

All they care about is Lake Effect. Let me translate- less lake effect snow in Buffalo 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

It’s been snowing pretty good in Rochester since 2am. We’ve probably had .3” of qpf  but none of it has stuck. It’s mostly all melting on impact. Sad. 

I took the back roads from Avon to Victor to do some Christmas shopping, was an awesome drive each way. Nice sized wet flakes in the air to make it feel like Christmas is only a few days away. Totally bummed about the warm up coming for most of this week...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

It’s been snowing pretty good in Rochester since 2am. We’ve probably had .3” of qpf  but none of it has stuck. It’s mostly all melting on impact. Sad. 

interesting. We had about a half inch of snow down here. It’s turned to a super slop layer now though as temps have finally started to climb a bit. Up to 34-35 whereas I sat at 32.5 all night. Missed out on a nice little refresher by a degree 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

interesting. We had about a half inch of snow down here. It’s turned to a super slop layer now though as temps have finally started to climb a bit. Up to 34-35 whereas I sat at 32.5 all night. Missed out on a nice little refresher by a degree 

Still at 32 here, been that way for the last 18hrs or so. Warmer air definitely a bit slower to get on the east side. Got about 1-1.5" of fluff so far.

9 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Thoughts on Christmas Eve? Like you said, the models are having a heck of a time figuring out wave and CF placement. It’s like one of those 300 level physics problems: if a train is moving at 70mph and John shoots his gun at a Bison, how many feet ahead of the Bison should he aim? There are so many moving parts!  These things usually have a pretty narrow swath of snow east to west going south to north; it’ll basically be luck. Obviously, south shore is in good shape if the wave forms anywhere SE of us. We might not hit the synoptic maxima but we’d have N winds to guarantee love from Ontario. If it forms west of us, it’s done- flash freeze and nada. 

We are Nordic skiers so for me it’s all about the pack.

I want that front to whip through.

If we can do 12 hours in the 40s with a little snow after the skiing will still be great.  It won’t touch this deep pack.

A full 24 hours of 50s with high dews, rain and wind would be a pack melting disaster though.

6 minutes ago, cny rider said:

We are Nordic skiers so for me it’s all about the pack.

I want that front to whip through.

If we can do 12 hours in the 40s with a little snow after the skiing will still be great.  It won’t touch this deep pack.

A full 24 hours of 50s with high dews, rain and wind would be a pack melting disaster though.

We are getting that regardless. Unfortunately. A lot of CNY can sustain that but the snow will be gone everywhere else. Which is why the wave is so important for the Niagara frontier and Gennessee valley. The traditional snow belts are golden in my mind. Lots of time. Kind of like where things stand 5 days out! 

• Like 1